I made some blueprints 2 years ago...and now - Page 4 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Re: I made some blueprints 2 years ago...and now

Not entirely sure lol my pricing model is pretty standard...2x materials + the cost of a cutting bit and shipping...and then if it's something I have to design I haven't decided on labor yet.

But when the time comes we'll talk lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 AM

Interesting that you chose to to the monkey grip radius as a series of stair steps with the small bit. Any reason you didn't just want to change to a radiused bit for that?
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

This was just the rough passes decided to make it easier on the ball-mill instead of having it hog out more material than it ordinarily would need to.

Unfortunately I'm waiting on a new part for the machine...the anti-backlash nut on the Z Axis lead screw let go and now not only does the machine make a terrible noise when going down, but it doesn't have accurate depth...it ruined the back of the guitar that was shown earlier -- a shame really... and cut into my spoilboard/tabletop and ruined the cutting bit AND the carbon brush in the router....so I'll have to replace those as well before trying again. But..you know...murphy's law lol
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 04:48 AM
SYL

Great Work!

First - I love the front back route combination - i think it's great for mod-able guitars with advanced electronics ( Sustainer, piezo, battery packs etc) But also just to quickly access everything, except the pickups, is awesome.

Second - recessed pickguard? Love it! Having one flush with the body i think would add some serious class to it! plus the added difficulty of making one fit perfect just adds to he uniqueness of it.

Keep the updates coming.
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYL View Post
Great Work!

First - I love the front back route combination - i think it's great for mod-able guitars with advanced electronics ( Sustainer, piezo, battery packs etc) But also just to quickly access everything, except the pickups, is awesome.

Second - recessed pickguard? Love it! Having one flush with the body i think would add some serious class to it! plus the added difficulty of making one fit perfect just adds to he uniqueness of it.

Keep the updates coming.
Thanks! I'm still not sold on the front/rear completely myself because I hate having to wire inside the cavity on rear routed bodies...but we'll see. I have cad files for both setups lol

I also love the idea of the recessed pickguard...I'm seriously going to look into it (not for selling, as it wasn't my idea...but for a personal guitar) but I would probably make it plastic instead of wood...so it has function as well as aesthetic

I will definitely post updates. My machine had a malfunction requiring new parts to be ordered (anti-backlash nut on the Z axis has to be replaced...along with the carbon filters in the router, and because of the other 2--the cutting bit now lol --) BUT new parts are on their way.
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 06:58 AM
SYL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSwick_2 View Post
Thanks! I'm still not sold on the front/rear completely myself because I hate having to wire inside the cavity on rear routed bodies...but we'll see. I have cad files for both setups lol
here's one i have that combines both front and back - but it really is a full front with only a back for the sustainer but it is joined cleanly. So it's kind of the best of both... but i still like your idea of just the pickups in the front

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Z-...4/ZRG%20Custom
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

That is absolutely gorgeous! If I can make something half that nice, I will be happy.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Sorry if this is a "necro post" -- I didn't want to start a whole new thread if I could prevent it --

I have updates!

I had a lot of trouble with the machine breaking down all over the place - sunk about $900 into replacing this and that...Z axis, controller pc, interface cables, etc...and it's finally working!

I was so excited after cutting a perfect guitar body (or at least the top half) and didn't think about / overlooked the fact that I had no idea how I was going to flip it properly...and the resulting destruction of said guitar body was an eye opening disappointment to say the least.

So I've come up with what I believe is going to be the solution to that problem.

I know my "zero point" machine coordinates, so what I've done is had the machine drill two 3/8in holes 1/4in down into the table-top. In said holes I've put 3/8in pegs. One peg is at the zero point coordinate , the other is exactly 14in above it in the +X direction.

I've also set up machining instructions for the body blanks to get a set of corresponding holes. Two on the top, two on the bottom.

This SHOULD fix the flipping problem.

I've got 2 more blanks ordered and will be updating here with the results.

I really hope it works :-/ I'm tired of burning money on blanks that get ruined lol
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSwick_2 View Post
Sorry if this is a "necro post" -- I didn't want to start a whole new thread if I could prevent it --

I have updates!

I had a lot of trouble with the machine breaking down all over the place - sunk about $900 into replacing this and that...Z axis, controller pc, interface cables, etc...and it's finally working!

I was so excited after cutting a perfect guitar body (or at least the top half) and didn't think about / overlooked the fact that I had no idea how I was going to flip it properly...and the resulting destruction of said guitar body was an eye opening disappointment to say the least.

So I've come up with what I believe is going to be the solution to that problem.

I know my "zero point" machine coordinates, so what I've done is had the machine drill two 3/8in holes 1/4in down into the table-top. In said holes I've put 3/8in pegs. One peg is at the zero point coordinate , the other is exactly 14in above it in the +X direction.

I've also set up machining instructions for the body blanks to get a set of corresponding holes. Two on the top, two on the bottom.

This SHOULD fix the flipping problem.

I've got 2 more blanks ordered and will be updating here with the results.

I really hope it works :-/ I'm tired of burning money on blanks that get ruined lol
Sometimes mistakes cost money - but those same mistakes also create valuable learning opportunities Don't get frustrated - perseverance will pay off! =)
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. I'm working on implementing the peg system now. The problem I've run into though is that it's looking like I need to put a "platform" of sorts in to make sure that after flipping, the stock is level to the machine. It's going to require planing the indented area of the machine, as well as a piece of plywood (on both sides) with the cnc, and then drilling the appropriate peg-holes in it as well.

Otherwise, part of the blank could be sitting higher than the opposite edge after flipping...resulting in a messy destructive problem lol

I will post an update again hopefully tomorrow with the completed "jig" in place. Need to use some super double-sided tape to secure the piece of plywood down to the table so I can plane it -- probably by hand / jogging the machine so I know it's proper -- I used g-code to plane one surface of it and it was a little more warped than I expected...so I'll go a bit overkill since it's just gonna be a spoilboard anyway.
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 04:47 AM

This is excellent stuff. The time and labour that went into this must be immense.
Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Oh wow! I'm honored to get that kind of praise from such an amazing "Jem style" guitar builder!

I'm working on setting up a plywood spoilboard / stock elevating flat -- so that I can flip the pieces without worrying that they're not indexed anymore. Once that's done, and my new blanks come in, there will be a guitar body...or my name's Elizabeth--and it's not.
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:04 PM

I know this is very old, but I have a project to build a "woody" JEM, and I{m looking for the files for the router and everything... does anyone knows if I can get those?
Thanks.

Fernando.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

I no longer have these files, nor do I have access to the software used to create them anymore -- I might make a new set of files in something like Fusion360 someday but it's not likely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode