I made some blueprints 2 years ago...and now - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

I made some blueprints 2 years ago...and now

I've turned those blueprints (or, the cad file I created and then made them from) into this using my CNC router.

It was just a test of the roughing passes on the topside of the guitar, done at 100ipm in some insulation foam I found at Home Depot

In the last shot, I decided to see how it measured up against my legit (MIJ) RG770 as far as sizing and whatnot.

I think it came out pretty good! Next time I'll use Alder (evil grin)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Developer

Re: I made some blueprints 2 years ago...and now

Looks great man! Only thing I see that's slightly off is the monkey grip.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus View Post
Looks great man! Only thing I see that's slightly off is the monkey grip.
Thanks!

If you don't mind my asking, what's off about it? I want to make this as accurate as possible (it's going to be my personal guitar once I get it done) so I will change it as needed
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 PM

Reviews: 2

Thats cool man...... really clean for a rough out.

The biggest thing I see that may be a problem is that it is a combination of rear route AND front route. If you don't already have a plan for that, you might have problems with a real body.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I did it that way on purpose, that way I can cut through without having to get extra-long cutting bits.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSwick_2 View Post
I did it that way on purpose, that way I can cut through without having to get extra-long cutting bits.
I guess I'm not understanding, Why would you need longer cutting bits?
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

If I were going to cut the through-holes all the way from the back or front. The guitar is only 1 3/4 in thick but the collet would collide with the workpiece with the bits I'm using if I tried to go all the way through from either side.

With the tremolo route I put in a shelf from the back so I figured it'd be kinda pointless anyway to cut out all that material in one pass and risk a collision when I can do it from the back in a 2nd pass.

Or maybe I misunderstood your original concern lol If you're referring to the fact that it has routing on both sides of the body, yes I've planned for that. I have 2 coordinate systems already set up in the machine code to do the back routes
in a separate G-Code file.

Also, thank you for the compliment! I worked hard on the 3D model that this was cut from so I'm extremely happy to see others like it as much as I do.

Last edited by CSwick_2; 01-14-2015 at 10:04 PM.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:37 PM

What are you using for a cnc router and can you post a pic of it? Also what did you use for the 3d modeling software?
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm using a Fine Line Automation 2x4 machine with a Hitachi M12VC router, controlled by a Geckodrive G540 hooked up to an old Dell Dimension 4600 (pentium4 and 1GB ram)

Using a 2 flute Kodiak 1/4" flat carbide endmill for roughing passes. Waiting on collets from PreciseBits to come in so I can get some other ( 1/2" and 1/8" endmills going.)

Software used was Solidworks for the actual modeling part, then MasterCam to generate the machining instructions.

I'll post some pics once I get the dust-shoe and vacuum system installed (My machine is currently coated in a decently thick layer of pink foam....can't figure out why ) so I want to get the vacuum going and clean it up before I post any pics.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for double-posting...I just wanted to bump the thread with some pics of the CNC I'm using, as requested by ddcmiller.
Fine Line Automation 2x4 kit with a 2HP vacuum system from Harbor Freight and dust shoe by KentCNC, as well as Universal T-Tracks and hold down clamps from Rockler
Hitachi M12VC router and a Kodiak 1/4in 2-flute endmill.
Runs like a dream!

I have some alder on the way to my house right now, hoping I can get a Jem body out of it without ruining it all (I'm still a bit new to machining lol)

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 05:34 AM

Thanks. That is a nice set up that's exactly what I want to invest in.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Totally worth the money. The only problem is sometimes Nate (Fine Line Automation) can sorta disappear...there was a span of about 5 months where I couldn't get him to reply to text, phone, or email and I was waiting on replacements for incorrect parts. But he always comes back eventually and makes it right.

Overall I think I've put about $2600 if not a little more into the machine.

It doesn't come with anything except fasteners/screws, aluminum extrusion, steel rails, linear carriages, plates, Rack & Pinion drives/tracks, and a lead screw for the Z Axis. You have to order the motors and G540 separately, as well as the cable chains. Limit switches are also not included (nor are mounting plates for them) so I had to go to cncrouterparts for the switches and home depot to find a way to put them on lol

The T-tracks and hold down clamps I got directly from Rockler and cut the slots using the machine and my computer to jog the router down the paths I had drawn out on the spoilboard.

I made my initial purchase of the machine February 2014 and literally just got it fully ready to cut about a week ago. Partly due to work constraints and partly due to Nate disappearing on me for almost half a year lol

Anyhoo, the wood I ordered should be here on Feb 3. I work literally all week that week but hopefully Saturday by end of day, I will have a "Jem style" body to show off!

Last edited by CSwick_2; 01-29-2015 at 10:56 AM.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

A bit sad that nobody's paying attention to this thread and I keep having to double post to update lol But oh well...

I revised the CAD file a bit in the monkey-grip area and also realized that I may have made an error when I was designing it originally...It's just shy of 1.75" thick (I think I made it 44mm....) and my Alder blanks are exactly 1.75" so I will have to either surface it by roughly 0.01" - 0.02" on one side when cutting, or remake the whole cad file lol Right now I'm leaning towards the surfacing option....

Here's a screengrab of the front/back of the body in Solidworks (yeah...the Heel on the AANJ isn't pretty...going to hand shape it smooth after CNC rather than go into the surfacing required to do it in Solidworks)

Thoughts? Comments, Questions, Concerns, Inaccuracies or Improvements to be made/fixed?

I'm just waiting on a 1/16" endmill to show up that I ordered and it will be time to cut, so I'm really trying to get it hammered out before that if possible haha

Last edited by CSwick_2; 02-08-2015 at 02:00 PM.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 02:09 PM

It's a bit odd that you have a rear control route but a front pickup route. I think you need to have two different designs, one for front route and one for rear.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
It's a bit odd that you have a rear control route but a front pickup route. I think you need to have two different designs, one for front route and one for rear.
A fair point. I guess it couldn't hurt to have a few different variants.

I already have one where the control cavity is on the top of the body instead of the back though. I just made this one a rear control so that I wouldn't have to remove the pickguard in the event a Pot or the switch goes bad, and then figured since the pickguard will be there anyway the pickups might as well have plenty of room for the wires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode