I may buy a brand new JEM but... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

I may buy a brand new JEM but...

I have a few questions about the JEM7VWH i need answered first. These may be FAQs so bear with me

1. Does the gold finish on the hardware wear out easily? and can it be protected from wearing off?

2. Does it have a good clean sound? Im not looking for something amazing, just a decent clean sound. Right now i use an RG350, and i use my Dimarzio Blue Velvet middle single coil for cleans, and it sounds pretty damn good. How does the Evolution s.c. sound by itself?

3. How does the Edge pro bridge on the JEM compare with the edge pro 2?

4. Is the monkey grip strong? i dont want it breaking on me (probably a stupid question)

Anyway, thats about it. Thank you in advance for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 02:45 AM

Re: I may buy a brand new JEM but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrelent View Post
1. Does the gold finish on the hardware wear out easily? and can it be protected from wearing off?
I have a new 7VWH for three years now and the hardware still looks new. I just use a cloth and some spit Sounds gross, i know... But it does the job superb! Google it if you like and you will be amazed by the cleaning results of spit.

Quote:
2. Does it have a good clean sound? Im not looking for something amazing, just a decent clean sound. Right now i use an RG350, and i use my Dimarzio Blue Velvet middle single coil for cleans, and it sounds pretty damn good. How does the Evolution s.c. sound by itself?
I sounds just fine clean. Position 2,3, and 4 are really usable clean sounds. You can even get some jazz sounds from the neck. Imo my 7VWH sounds better than my USA strat.

Quote:
3. How does the Edge pro bridge on the JEM compare with the edge pro 2?
Sorry, i never played with an Edge Pro 2. The Edge Pro is one of best trems out there though!

Quote:
4. Is the monkey grip strong? i dont want it breaking on me (probably a stupid question)
Yes, it's strong
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 02:54 AM

You sound like a kid going to buy his 1st bike! Its a supurb clean sound, the gold will wear but you have YEARS to worry. You wont break the monkey grip!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Banned

the gold hardware on my bridge is slighty worn but i put a coat of clear nail varnish on.should do the trick.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 08:53 AM

Don't think about it, just buy it lol
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:51 AM

The gold will wear but is greatly reduced by thoroughly wiping down after every use i find!
Nothing wrong with the edge-pro either. Despite people may prefer other trems this is a perfectly good trem.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 AM

In short, you're comparing one of Ibanez' lower end guitars (no offense) to one of their highest quality guitars ... and yet you have concerns?!?!

1. Not easily. But make sure to wipe it off with a soft cloth after each gig. Spit is totally optional!

2. Listen to Vai. An AMAZING array of clean sounds.

3. The Edge Pro is the best bridge currently being produced on the planet. The "2" ... not so much.

4. Strong enough to hold the weight of a Jem forever. Not strong enough to tow a car with though ... I'm guessing.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerem View Post
This is a rather silly comment considering the (over) price of a JEM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:18 AM

I've never regretted buying my jem and don't consider it as over priced. In fact it's the guitar I play the most
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
This is a rather silly comment considering the (over) price of a JEM.

Dee......you should rename yourself Percival

Unrelent - I have a 2000 vwh and the gold hardware is as it was. No wear at all and it's a quite traveled guitar. (UK and back a few times)

I think that the trem wear has a lot to do with sweat. My hands don't sweat. (lucky I guess) If you have "clammy palm syndrome" it'd be a good idea to wipe the trem down after sessions

The monkey grip will NOT break I use mine extensivly and really miss it when I play someone elses guitar

It's highly functional (at least for me )
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 AM

The JEM is an incredible guitar. You'd be lucky just to have the opportunity to own one. Most will never get to.

Now regarding the gold coming off the bridge. Uh, yes, it will "eventually" come off. Study the 2nd law of thermodynamics and increasing entropy. In layman's terms it's the fact that ALL things in this universe degrade. So, yes the gold will come off, ...eventually, lol. Unless you just want to buy it to look at and keep locked up in a showroom case. But, ...do you ask this question before you buy anything else? This is the last thing you should be worried about IMO. The other's posts about this are accurate regarding cleaning and palm moisture.

Just remember, ...if that's your standards for buying something uber sweet, ...you'll never own anything uber sweet, lol. Like, a house, a fine car, ...whatever.

Hope that takes that issue out of your equation and makes your decision way easier. If you like the way it feels, buy the thing and play it till the wheels fall off! (okay, ...this only applies to cars but you get the point) The trem is a gem (yes, bad pun, i know) and the pickups are insanely versatile for cleans and distorted tones. It's just one of the best guitars available in the world, IMO.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:59 AM

I was going to get a Jem too but for 400.00 more picked up a PRS CU24 and it is an amazing guitar!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies. This sure makes the JEM extremely tempting!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerem View Post
that usually gets me in trouble
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
that usually gets me in trouble
Hehe i dont mind, i scared about the gold finish on the hardware but its ok, if it wears off i cant do anything. About clean sound, really good and pickup selector gives me too much options. (in my point of view) Not good as fender's but all we know both them are different. If i think about my old old trs tremolo, edge pro amazing!
It has 2700$ price tag in here. Its over priced? Yes. But thats my one and only guitar. I paid this cause i cant find any guitar in here. This was the best guitar i found in here. Now its been 9 months and im pleased.
If i be "Unrelent" i dont stuck in these questions too much. Thats why i said "Don't think about it, just buy it".

(my english not very good i apologise about that.)

Tags
dimarzio blue velvet , distorted tone , distorted tones , ebony board , edge pro bridge , gold trem , monkey grip , paf pro , patrick eggle , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode