i need educating about the jem 555 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
i need educating about the jem 555

hi all, a while back i bought a battered old jem555 with the old trem, the trs i think? am i right?

The newer jem555 has the edgeIII trem and the evolution pups.

Im in the market for a new guitar, ive played the peavey hp, js1000, old jem 555, js 100 etc

Last week i nearly bought a musicman axis, but i am torn, i just dont know what to do.

Right now im looking for either a js1200, a musicman axis or a jem of somekind

Can someone tell me the differences between the new and the old jem 555 and when the newer jem555 was released?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 AM

Re: i need educating about the jem 555

stay away from the budget jem.a few dollar more and you buy a dbk!and thats a lovely guitar!the other is rubbisch!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Banned

the only problem i found with the 555 jem is that lo-trs trem.the rest of the guitar was ok and yes they are fitted with evo's,but to me evo's sound miles better in a alder body guitar.i played a 555 for 11 years then i bought a 777vbk,straight away i knew the 777vbk was a miles better guitar i every shape n form.my advice is dont buy a 555 get yourself a real jem.you can get a second hand 7dbk (textured finish jem) for about 650-700 thats about the cheapest jem you can get but still a kick ass guitar and way better than a 555.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
the only problem i found with the 555 jem is that lo-trs trem.the rest of the guitar was ok and yes they are fitted with evo's,but to me evo's sound miles better in a alder body guitar.i played a 555 for 11 years then i bought a 777vbk,straight away i knew the 777vbk was a miles better guitar i every shape n form.my advice is dont buy a 555 get yourself a real jem.you can get a second hand 7dbk (textured finish jem) for about 650-700 thats about the cheapest jem you can get but still a kick ass guitar and way better than a 555.

It's all about delayed gratification, just keep saving the pennies.

I'd never buy a lower spec version of anything because I know that in the long run I'll still be hankering for the real thing.

That's just me though.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickbean View Post
It's all about delayed gratification, just keep saving the pennies.

I'd never buy a lower spec version of anything because I know that in the long run I'll still be hankering for the real thing.

That's just me though.
the 7dbk is still a very good guitar mate,its still a real jem at the end of the day.but yes your spot on by saying buy high end guitars,but id class a 7dbk as high end, all the jem series are high end guitars,apart from the 555 obviously.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:55 PM

Reviews: 3

The 7dbk is a real Jem with its own specs: textured black finish, breed pick-ups and a lovely neck not found on any guitar elsewhere. Not a lower spec version of the Jem for me. The 555 it is the lower spec of the serie if considered a Jem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
the 7dbk is still a very good guitar mate,its still a real jem at the end of the day.but yes your spot on by saying buy high end guitars,but id class a 7dbk as high end, all the jem series are high end guitars,apart from the 555 obviously.

Yeah sorry I quoted the wrong bit of text - I was talking in general about people buying lower spec versions of guitars.

I bought a Les Paul Studio once - nice guitar, but I just looked at it every day and thought "You're not a Standard are you you little sh1t".
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 12:37 PM

Reviews: 13
Thumbs up Re: i need educating about the jem 555

Quote:
the only problem i found with the 555 jem is that lo-trs trem.the rest of the guitar was ok and yes they are fitted with evo's
I agree. I owned a black 555 (with the Edge Pro II tremolo, not the Lo TRS), and the guitar played great, and also sounded great. I only bought it because I had a good offer, they are overpriced for what they are. I would not buy a new one, I'd buy a high-end RG instead.

But the point is they are good guitars. They are just overpriced.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Reviews: 2
Cool Re: i need educating about the jem 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
I agree. I owned a black 555 (with the Edge Pro II tremolo, not the Lo TRS), and the guitar played great, and also sounded great. I only bought it because I had a good offer, they are overpriced for what they are. I would not buy a new one, I'd buy a high-end RG instead.

But the point is they are good guitars. They are just overpriced.
I changed my 555 trs trm for a Edge one.. change the studs too. the guitar is insane now. o agree with the over price, but i bouthg mine in 1996 and was cheap at that time. a 10th or that one from the "Die to live video clip" still the "unicorns" im pursuing...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode