i need help buying my first decent guitar - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

i need help buying my first decent guitar

(origanly posted in the js section!)

ok ill start by saying im new. please dont speak rediculous jargon, and if you do, please explain it! i was looking through other posts and realised how little i know, i dont even know what a wizard neck is!

ok so my new guitar. i came on this forum cos im a fan of vai, though nowhere near as good. iv only been playing for a year, but i love it so much that i know ill be playing all my life and that one day i WILL be as good as him (if not better, lol!!)

so im thinking of investing in a good guitar that will see me well when i get good enough to be able to play it!
at the moment im going for pure speed, whammy bar madness and other such true shred showoff teckniques, i need my guitar too keep up.

well giv me wat uv got!
cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 08:21 AM

Re: i need help buying my first decent guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred me good
(origanly posted in the js section!)
iv only been playing for a year, but i love it so much that i know ill be playing all my life and that one day i WILL be as good as him (if not better, lol!!)
Woah , steady on dude!
I think a great guitar for you would be an RG model , I myself play RG's , they are very versatile guitars and will allow you to develop most styles you desire to , such as Funk , Blues , Rock , Metal. There are obviously basic and fantastic RGs available on the market , it depends on how much you have to spend. The cheaper models come with a single locking bridge , which is certainly inferior to the double locking bridges , as they dont stay in tune aswell , or intonated. They also come with pretty bad sounding pick ups imo , but I wouldn't rule them out by any means , I know people who have lower range RGs, and they burn me alive , it's not the guitarist tools that determine the better player , as i'm sure you will know. I'm not sure where your from but for a few hundred pounds / Euros / Dollars , you could pick yourself up a real nice guitar , which could see you through the rest of your guitar playing days. If you have a bigger budget , you could always go for a model in the JEM lineup , which most forum users here play. As you know these are steve vai signature guitars , and not too different to RG's in playability , but significantly different in appearence , the Jem has things such as the Monkey grip [ guitar handle in the body ] , a vine inlay on the fretboard , scalloped frets and a Lion claw. [ Recessed tremelo cavity ]. These are all contributing factors as to why alot of people play JEM's , I personally don't like other names on my guitar , so i prefer to play RGs , and I am more concerned about playability than appearence , but the choice is yours man , have a think about it ,and do your research to ensure you're happy with your final choice take it easy man
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 10:10 AM
RCB

A used RG3120 should be around U$S600. A used RG520, RG550 or RG570 should be about U$S350. Another good choice would be a used S540 (about 400-500). If you buy an Ibanez guitars there are two MUST HAVE features: 1) Make sure its made in japan, 2) Make sure it has an Edge/Lo Por Edge or edge pro tremolo.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 10:23 AM

I'd recommend a used RG550 (preferably in DY

If you go for something newer find the specs and ensure the bridge (trem)
hasn't got the initials "TRS", especially if you wanna play like Vai.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 01:55 PM

Re: i need help buying my first decent guitar

As a Jem owner, I'd agree with these chaps and say go for an RG. If you want the funky visuals too, go for a Jem. It also depends upon what your budget is. It's a pleasure to have you on the forum and please add your location to your profile, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred me good
iv only been playing for a year, but i love it so much that i know ill be playing all my life and that one day i WILL be as good as him (if not better, lol!!)
That's the attitude I like! I look forward to hearing you in the 2006 G3 concert.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

i got an rg220dx already and its ****!!
the intonations shot and it gos out of tune at the slightest touch of whammybar!
i got 500 quid
how guds ebay?
and wats the pros of a jem over an rg?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 08:27 PM

::In Scary Creepy Jungle Chant:: Rg550, Rg550, Rg550, Rg550
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 12:06 PM

Yup , I can back that up , I play RG550's and I love them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 02:02 PM
RCB

A jem is not better than a RG3120 (just different), and its MUCH more expensive. A 3120 for U$S600 is the best value you can get. If you can get a RG2027X for under 750, it would be a very good value if you dig 7 strings and the piezo feature.

The Korean RGs are i no way comparable to a MIJ RG, not even to a 550 or 570. The RG550 and RG570 are both competent guitars, just not on par with a jem or a RG3120
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 09:31 PM

2027 for under $750??? Not going to happen unless it's thrashed. Great guitars though, no problem on that regard.

Let's see, you need something that inspires you to continue playing, something that makes you want to pick it up and go for it...can't argue with the 3120 comments, best value for the money in the ibanez line in my opinion. Used market they are plentiful, in fact there are a couple on the adds section here in this forum. Simply amazing guitars right out of the box. Great woods, great pickups, brilliant neck carve, great looks. One of the few guitars that needs nothing in the way of enhancements. If you've got the cash, go for one of those.

Next on the list would be any rg 5XX....anything below a 5 series with a trem should be avoided if you can help it.

I've had a lot of guitars and nothing matches a well set up Ibanez in my opinion. The necks are just wonderful, you want something that is a dream to play.

Play as much stuff as you can get your paws on and decide which type of instrument really speaks to you. I'd avoid buying cheapo instruments and amps as in the long run you're going to want more and poor playability will hamper your desire to play the instrument and learn/explore. As in all cases make up your own mind and reserve the right to change it at any time you deem appropriate.

Another option is to get a decent strat. You're going to want one some day, there's no denying it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 05:34 AM

If you want the most value for money search for a RG550 or RG570. I really like the S-series as well (S520, S570) , but the problem you might have is that it has only 22 frets!

Then again, there are also other brands besides Ibanez that offer shredmachines, the thing that puts Ibanez on top of the competition are the excellent floyd-rose type bridges (and playability). The negatives of Ibanez RG-series guitars is that the stock pups are muddy, that's why most people decide at some point in time to swap them with Dimarzio pickups or EMG pickups.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 08:32 PM

A guitar from another manufacturer that I'll throw out there for you...
Jackson DK2 -->you can get a brand new one for around $350 right now if you look hard enough.

Brian

Tags
dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , edge pro trem , edge pro tremolo , guitar playing , ibanez guitars , locking bridge , monkey grip , pro tremolo , recessed trem , scalloped frets , signature guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode