I need your help!! (Jem Contest Loser) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Exclamation I need your help!! (Jem Contest Loser)

Okay, my guitar design is now at ET Guitars, for now, just the body getting worked on with the clear and buffing etc.... At the beginning of december Ernie will start work on the neck and I have to make up my mind on what I'm going to do

I'd like to hear your opinions of which would look the best. I love the vine but already have a Jem 7VWh. I've always wanted a Jem with Pyramids too. Part of me thinks that the picture below with the pyramid neck makes the guitar look a little less busy, which I think is a good thing, and the vine may make the guitar look too messy.... I dunno.

What do you think?

Also I'm wondering if I should go more of a wizard type neck because I love how thin and shreddy they can be. Thoughts on this would be cool too!!

Last edited by Macka; 10-28-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:55 AM

Re: I need your help!! (Jem Contest Loser)

My 2p go for the pyramids, anyone can get a guitar within vine at the moment...
Jim

Last edited by Vim Fuego; 10-28-2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Typo
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:59 AM

Reviews: 4

i like the vine inlay better and as far as the neck profile that's a little too much of a personal thing ask
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

yeah it's personal but I'm not fussy with necks at all. I have a baseball bat sized neck on my les paul and a much thinner one on my 7VWh. They're worlds apart but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm thinking of going the ultra thin wizard just for something different.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 AM

ok then if your not picky with necks then yeah try a wizard neck i love my wizard II neck to death my favorite neck of all time
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

cool thanks for that. I'd like to own a wide variety of neck styles and I loved the Wizard when I played one years and years ago. Sooooo thin!!
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 05:16 AM

yeah love how thin they are but. i think learning to solo with the wizard neck along with a curved neck joint. really put me in a handicap i cant play anything else now. lol
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 05:23 AM
NSR

Super Wizard necks (found on VDY, VSK and DBK to name a few) are awesome. Quite a different beast altogether. I think the comment about personal taste is all too valid though. Really down to you and what you want at the end of the day.

If you were to go with silver / black hardware, I'd go with the vine. As you're definately going with the gold then the yellow in the pyramids may help blend the gold in more.
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

I suppose at least I'll have all three styles with the Les paul, the 7VWh and a wizard necked custom.

Surprisingly, people in my facebook are all saying Vine inlay. I'm canvassing about 3 different forums LOL
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 AM

Reviews: 34

pyramids
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 06:55 AM

make some difference and go for the rosewood neck but with pyramids ;_)
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 AM

Reviews: 9

Here's a vote for pyramids. I dunno about rosewood, I think it'd be a bit odd. Ebony on the other hand.....?

As for profile, I love the Super Wizard and early JEM profiles but that's a pretty personal thing.
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:03 AM

Pyramids for sure.
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Wow..... a lot of my friends in Facebook (who're guitarists as well) say The Vine...... but everyone on the Jemsite, barring 1 or 2, in this thread says Pyramids. LOL

What to do?... I guess I'll give it some more time to decide. I have a month or so anyway.

Jimquiosis - I went with a maple fretboard on this guitar when I designed it for the competition because I'm sick to death of dark wood fretboards. My 7VWh has it, My les Paul has it, in fact, no guitar I've ever owned has had a maple fretboard and I really really love them. There's no way on earth that this guitar will get an ebony or rosewood fretboard. Gotta have maple this time..... and I also love that "dirty" used look they get over time. Sex on a stick.

NOTE: do you think that this being the Jemsite, and a hell of a lot of Jems being put on show here, has people sort of sick of vines all together? So it might be a biased opinion. If you were Joe Public watching a band with this guitar in it, which one would blow you away more out of the two? (most people that come to our gigs come and look at the old 7VWh (but still sexy) and revere its vine inlay, of all things. Though in here, a vine is kinda "meh"..... but only in here.

Last edited by Macka; 10-28-2010 at 10:41 AM.
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 AM

pyramid, with ebony, maple clashes

Tags
competition , contest , custom , design , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode