I ordered evolution pickups, but now I'm having doubts - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Unread 01-30-2020, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I ordered evolution pickups, but now I'm having doubts

I have the new rg550 and of course, I'm a fan of Steve Vai. I read all the reviews of people saying these pickups are amazing, loud, harmonics come out easy and sustain is great, which I like, but there is one thing that people keep repeating, they are unforgiving and now I'm getting scared to put them in my guitar lol

How unforgiving are they compared to the stock pickups on the genesis rg550?

I'm not a noob player, but not a virtuoso either, probably intermediate to advanced. I'm afraid I will dislike how they will make every error more apparent, though, in a way, it would help me, in the long run, to make sure I always play clean I guess?

I haven't received the pickups yet, but now the thought of returning them is crossing my mind, what if I don't like them? I like the comments that say you get more sustain and better harmonics, but don't know about the unforgiving part. The problem is if I install them on the guitar, I'd probably won't be able to return them after that, would have to sell on ebay then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Unread 01-31-2020, 12:40 AM

Re: I ordered evolution pickups, but now I'm having doubts

Take a deep breath. You will love them.

Have used/owned all three spec configurations in different Ibanez guitars. The standard RG550 pickups, the RG655 configuration of ToneZone/Air Norton and then the 777 30th with the Evolutions. All sound a little different, but the Evos seem the clearest of the bunch personally. No issues playing them.

Last edited by The TPS Report; 01-31-2020 at 09:30 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 06:24 PM

I have the Evolutions preinstalled and they are night and day over PAF Pros from the 80s. As far as "unforgiving" what do you mean?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:40 PM

I have Evos in my 550 and they sound great. I wouldn't worry
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Unread Today, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Whilst I have PAF Pros in more guitars than I have Evos in, when I do change pickups, most of the time, it's to Evos. They're my go to pickups.

The "unforgiving" part is just that they have a very quick attack and are very clear so they pickup all your mistakes as well as all your actual notes. Give them a month and there'll be less mistakes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Unread Today, 08:49 AM
Contributor

I got a JS1000 and it just didn't have the magic compared to other JS guitars I had so I put gravity storms in it which were brand new at the time and they sound great. I had an evolution neck in an S540 but I honestly don't remember it was 20 years ago and I don't have that guitar anymore
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:18 PM

I am with you Evos are the best

Tags
evolution

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in