I ordered my JEM 7VWH Today!!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Smile I ordered my JEM 7VWH Today!!!!

After 15 years of playing guitar and being a Steve Vai Fan, I finally ordered my Jem online from a store in Glasgow (UK) online and am having it shipped straight to a brilliant Guitar Luthier in Warwickshire who is going to do a brilliant Setup for me!!

I already have a Fender Strat Deluxe USA and also a weird Ibanez with a wilkinson trem... and Dimarzio humbucker from hell, and Tonezone!! I customised it about 7 years ago after I got fed up of the floyd rose that was on it...It was one of the cheap ones!!!!

Any chance someone can explain the difference a real good setup on their Jem made from when they first took it out the case???

Thanks guys!!! Wil post pics as soon as it arrives!!!!
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:25 PM

Re: I ordered my JEM 7VWH Today!!!!

I cant tell you from experience about the setup differences, but i can tell you from what I've heard. The factory setups suck.. The intonation is usually off and action not set to most peoples liking. If you get it all setup right with the intonation, string action, pickup height, it should play like butter...

And congrats on your new axe!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dude!!!!

Its good to know that I'm not worrying for no reason about what its gonna play like!!

Can anyone else comment on the factory setup of their Jem?? How long was it after you bought it did it feel played in??

Did the Edge pro feel nasty when you first took it out the box or did it need to be setup?

Thanks
Rob
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 03:11 PM

There's no way to tell how the guitar's going to be set up, it'll probably need tuning lol If it plays alright to you out of the box and the intonation is spot on, and it stays in tune, then why bother get it setup if it's already okay?

I'd get it first, and go through the tech setup on ibanezrules.com and do it yourself. Seriously, it's not that difficult and it'll mean you'll be able to oogle at your guitar and test it whilst getting it set up perfectly

Congratulations too, i'm also hoping to order a Jem7Vwh around June time (I'll be 17 then) i've just started teaching guitar, have a few students and waiter in a restaurant. Earning the money and then finally buying the guitar of my dreams is going to be so satisfying

Make sure you post pictures when it arrives!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:53 PM

Congratulations! It's a fine instrument.

Goozman
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:55 PM

yep set it up yourself. Mine was already setup by a tech before it was sent over. But due to weather changes the strings went off tune, neck bow was too much, so it's a good idea to just set it up yourself.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:46 AM

Hi!

I got mine last week, itá amazing! But the factory setup really sucks! Try the trem bar, if it gets out of tune!

If so, first check the Locknut screws (not the pressure pads, the LOCKNUT screws, which hold the locknut on the gutiar, they can beloose!

If it´s still out of tune you might have fat knife edges, so you have to send it back and get them sharp, that´s what happened to me...

well, but it´s an amazing guitar and I cant wait to get it back!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker_fly
I cant tell you from experience about the setup differences, but i can tell you from what I've heard. The factory setups suck.. The intonation is usually off and action not set to most peoples liking. If you get it all setup right with the intonation, string action, pickup height, it should play like butter...

And congrats on your new axe!!
Parker Fly hit that one right on the nose! The factory setups are TERRIBLE!!!! I was WAY disapointed when I pulled mine out of the BOX (not case) 1999 model - The action was over an inch off the neck - trem nearly verticle - seats in the wrong saddles, etc. I couldnt beleive I had paid $ 1,800 for a VHW and get it deilved like that. But if you have a good set up guy (which it sounds like you do) you'll be totally satisfied. A correcly or brilliantly (as you say) set up VWH plays second to nne in my book. I love mine (after the set up) Liked it so much I ordered a VSBL two years later. I didnt even touch it without letting Trevor (my set up pro) have a go at it. Love it too!!! Jems are wonderful guitars!!! BE careful....once you get your you will forget you own a Strat (or at leasdt I did) Congrats on you new beasty.....your gonna LOVE it!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 11:09 AM

I could never forget my strat. That's just a fact.

Last edited by Tom Gilroy; 03-18-2005 at 11:21 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gilroy
I could never forget my strat. THat's just a fact.
Yeah, after I posted that I figured....O buoy...here come all the Strat lovers having a go at me....nothing agaisnt Strats and no offense intented to you all. Just my personal opinion (which ain't jack). I can just do so much more with a Jem - that's all.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 11:22 AM

No offense taken. I meant it sentimentally. My dad gave me it. But Christ does that guitar play good.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedp
After 15 years of playing guitar and being a Steve Vai Fan, I finally ordered my Jem online from a store in Glasgow (UK) online and am having it shipped straight to a brilliant Guitar Luthier in Warwickshire who is going to do a brilliant Setup for me!!

I already have a Fender Strat Deluxe USA and also a weird Ibanez with a wilkinson trem... and Dimarzio humbucker from hell, and Tonezone!! I customised it about 7 years ago after I got fed up of the floyd rose that was on it...It was one of the cheap ones!!!!

Any chance someone can explain the difference a real good setup on their Jem made from when they first took it out the case???

Thanks guys!!! Wil post pics as soon as it arrives!!!!
Rob
I have a 2003, which was the year they started doing better "factory" setups. It was pretty good when I took it home, but I quickly put 10s on it and dropped the action a wee bit. It wasn't a huge difference as it was already pretty good, but it's still an improvement.

Some of them may need it more than others too, but it's always a worthwhile investment on such a sick axe!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:29 PM

I have a 2003 and the factory setup sucked ass. The action was a mile off the fretboard (actually 1/2 cm) and would not stay in tune. I'm glad though because it forced me to learn how to do a setup and save $ doing it myself. Now it's the best playing guitar I've played.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-MAN
I have a 2003 and the factory setup sucked ass. The action was a mile off the fretboard (actually 1/2 cm) and would not stay in tune. I'm glad though because it forced me to learn how to do a setup and save $ doing it myself. Now it's the best playing guitar I've played.

Gtr Man -
Sounds like yours was alomst as bad as mine. And I agree....they are the best playing guitars in the world. My VSBL feels exactly the same...brilliant!! Thing is I never learned how to do my own set-up. Hmmmmm you guys have me thinking here. (could be dangerous Rich's site eh??
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:08 PM

If it were me, and it's not, I'd have a pro do the first setup and then just try to maintain it myself from there on in. The 7VWh is one of the very best bolt on guitars you can get IMO, so I think you'll love it when you get it. They are fantastic players.

Tags
fender strat , floyd rose , neck bow , parker fly , pickup height , playing guitar , steve vai , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode