i reckon jem's sound is thin - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

i reckon jem's sound is thin

i actually do reckon that jem's sound is quite thin.
what's your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 12:17 AM

Is it time to move this guy to the banned list yet?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 12:25 AM

well, i agree that under raw sound conditions it does sound kind of thin.

However, I've noticed that its flexibility is unparalled when you get used to working with one... and you don't need expensive equiptment either, just a bit of trial and error with you tonage. You can pretty much get it to sound you could ever want, whereas that doesn't neccessarily ring true with other guitars that sound 'fuller' off the bat.

But yeah, without going off on too much of a tangent, compared to a les paul, it does sound thinner on a plain and clean sound, especially jems with paf pro pups. You can even hear that a jem sounds more "tin-ey" than a les paul just by strumming the strings on both of the guitars without even being plugged in.

I suspect the wood and the design of the guitar contribute to that.
Nonetheless, the jem is probably one of the most versatile axes around.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 12:52 AM

Telecasters usually sound thin too, and I don't think anyone has ever complained.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
Telecasters usually sound thin too, and I don't think anyone has ever complained.
you haven't met my friends have you
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 01:04 AM

Hehehe.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 02:31 AM

Re: i reckon jem's sound is thin

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat
i actually do reckon that jem's sound is quite thin.
what's your opinion?
And so you've joined... jemsite.com... right.

Not to be adversarial (well any more so than someone bashing a musical instrument's most vital characteristic in a forum built for fans of said instrument...) but what does this even mean? A basswood Jem? An alder one? PAF Pros? Breeds? Evos? Because I've got an alder Jem with Evolution pickups that'll take the paint off your house, sir.

Granted, with their (arguably unparalleled) floating trems, ample routing (where we put those big pickups you can't put in Strats) and nice thin necks, unplugged they might not be as beefy as, I dunno, a Les Paul. But since these are electric guitars, I tend to amplify mine, so that works out quite well.

Also, it's nice not to feel like you've got a Victorian fireplace slung around your neck.

If we're talking unplugged, well, how good do your other electrical items work when deprived of power? How fast is your PC once you unplug it from the wall? Seems like something along the lines of a Martin might be an idea if natural acoustics is what we're judging here.

Hmmm. Strats are sorta thin and twangy, aren't they? :P
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 02:38 AM

It's not like he said it's a bad thing...

I like the thin strat sound over a beefy Les Paul sound.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 02:42 AM

Exactly. Doesn't take long to get everyone's knickers in knots around here.

Listen to Vai playing along with Nelly Furtado during last year's Grammys. Very thin sound. It's all in how you amplify it. Put the Jem's signal through just a slight bit of dirt, dial in some compression, and you've got tone so thick that planes will land on it. The neck Evo can be especially beefy, too.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 03:31 AM
Ibanez endorsed

I agree. When I want a nice thin sound I reach for my Fender Strat. It gives me that perfect thin sound. When I want ULTRA chunk I reach for the Les Paul (well I did until I sold it! lol). But when I want a guitar that can get any tone basically with a little tweaking from my EQ I reach for a JEM or UV. Nuff said.... next question please.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 05:34 AM

I have to agree with rickbeaty!! I own several jems and they are perfect to use when you don't want to change instrumenst all the time. You can have lespauls kind of sounds and also thin fender sounds...ideal for on stage!
But when I play at home and I realy want to sound like aSRV or the police, I pick up my dirty old stratocaster.
When I realy want to rock like led zeppelin, I pick up my old friend Les Paul.

When you want a guitar to sound like a gibson and a fender, you have to make concessions, but this does not mean that the product is bad, because the instrument was ment to be like that.

In my opinion jem sounds indeed thin comparing to a les paul, and the strat tones are different, les warm, but certainly not bad.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkbeatty
I agree. When I want a nice thin sound I reach for my Fender Strat. It gives me that perfect thin sound. When I want ULTRA chunk I reach for the Les Paul (well I did until I sold it! lol). But when I want a guitar that can get any tone basically with a little tweaking from my EQ I reach for a JEM or UV. Nuff said.... next question please.
same here, except i don't have a fender strat or a les paul, so i just use my JEM for everything. This includes 'thinner' strat type stuff, and big thick distorted rhythm stuff.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 10:50 AM

Guys if you read all of strat's posts I think you'll see that he's just here to poke fun at Ibanez guitars. I apoligize if I'm wrong but read his posts and see for yourself.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 12:42 PM

This is precisely what I was assuming, which is why my original response was perhaps a bit strong.

I've been dealing with a lot of trolls recently on a board I mod, and taking into account the context of this post, I felt that it was indeed the work of a troll.

If someone has a blanket, generalized opinion on the Jem's sound, fine, but if someone's here just to disrupt Jemsite, that bothers me.

If I'm proved wrong, I'll apologize for getting my "knickers in knots."
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 12:57 PM

I've always thought the PAF's sounded a bit thin, but not compared to a single coiled strat. However, you get a set of Evo's, and watch out especially in my 911, mmmmmmm mahogany with evolutions
Closed Thread

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , electric guitar , evolution pickups , fender strat , floating trems , ibanez guitars , jem bfp , les paul , mahogany body , maple neck , neck evo , nelly furtado , paf pro , paf pros , rosewood board , strat sound , strat tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode