I think I may have found a js700 body - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

I think I may have found a js700 body

So, about a week ago I bid on this guitar body on ebay. From the pic it looked pretty close to a js model but from the lighting and everything it looked like a hot pink color(check out my website for the pic). The guy had it posted as a Ibanez P90 body. My thinking was it was a custom Ibanez or maybe just a one off. I figured I'll maybe strip it or leave it and probably route it for a Edge trem.

I get the body today, and I'll be damned if it doesn't look just like a JS700. In the neck pocket its dated Dec 96. I'm headed over to my friends house to use his digital camera and take some better pics of it. I'll post on my website later tonight so everyone can check it out. I was also going to send them to Rich and get his opinion on it.

I was really looking forward to customizing my own guitar. I built a couple in the past but nothing for myself. I figured buying this body would be a good starting place. I guess my question for everyone is, if it is a JS700, should I have my way with it, or should I try and find the parts to put it back together. I wouldn't mind a stopbar guitar either so I have this little dilemma.

Anyway, I'll put the pics up tonight besides the one I have from the auction.

Dragon

http://www.geocities.com/ddragon64
Pic is on the new guitar project page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Vendor

They were 700 bodies.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

I take it you saw both of them Rich.

Now my question is, what should I do with it?

I know these guitars don't command a lot of money, if I had the whole guitar, used between $400-500. If I got the parts to make it whole and sell it, which I highly doubt I would, I'd probably get what I put into it.

On the other hand, I've always loved the body style and comfort of the JS line. I wouldn't mind the stopbar tail piece since that was going to be my next purchase. But(there always seems to be a big but with me), I was really looking for a guitar customized to what I want. If that's going to be the case, I would be rerouting the pickup cavities and routing it for a Edge trem.

I guess I'm just looking for opinions on what to do with it.

Dragon
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 01:24 AM
Vendor

Do whatever you want to it. You'd be lucky to get $400 for it as a 700, cost you that much to try and make it one. Rout it up
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich. I think I answered my own question in the last post I made.

I just get that feeling that its priceless even in its current condition, even though its not really. And I almost feel the way you would if someone told you to take a router to one of your Donnie F's. I'm sure your repely would be a flat out NO! But I've got that yeah I could do that reply.

Anyway, the body is in great shape, I'll have to buff out the back a little though, so I think I've ruled out repainting it.

Thanks for replying though. I was just going to email you the new pics to see if you could confirm if it was a JS700. Glad I checked the forum first. Just really wanted to know before my router could possibly get a hold of it.

Dragon
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Oh, here's good question for you Rich. Is it possible to get a JS series neck anywhere besides Ebay? And if so, where and how much?

I haven't seen necks or bodies on your site so I figure you don't really deal with them but I thought I'd ask.

Dan
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Vendor

I've seen maybe 3 JS necks on ebay in 2 years, good luck on that one
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

HA! I figured it was a long shot.

I've been looking at the Warmoth necks and thinking about getting one of those. Or wondering if I should wait and try and catch an Ibanez neck on ebay.

Oh well. Either way, this should turn out to be a good project.

Thanks again.

Dan
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 10:10 AM

Hey, I also picked up one of those bodies -- mine is also in great shape. I may slap EMGs into it for fun...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

babahi, were you the one that won the other JS700? There was two of them on ebay.

Yeah, I think I've decided to just put it back together the way it was but I'm going to route out the pickup cavities to fit some DiMarzios in it. They need to be made deeper.

Dragon
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 07:42 AM

Yup, that was me, I got the other one. I don't know what I'll do with it yet, but couldn't pass up an R body without a floating trem cavity! Fixed bridge, fixed bridge, fixed bridge...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Ha! Small world huh?

Dragon
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 06:07 PM

Hey you guys with the JS700 bodies! I was curious what you wound up doing with them? I actually bought an entire JS700 awhile back, sanded down the whole body, and routed (well, actually I "Dremeled") the pickup cavities to humbucker size (easily done). I finished it in tung oil (like 10 coats with more to come), and am about to put it back together.

Recommendation to anyone contemplating stripping a Radius body: DON'T!! This was 5 times the work I expected. No chemical would touch the finish: the guys at the furniture restoration place concluded that they must allow some chemicals in Korea that would be very illegal here. So it had to be done completely by hand, starting with a palm sander and finishing with blocks and various other tools. The smooth sexy contours of the JS make it difficult to do without oversanding. An RG is a breeze by comparison. Trust me.

The neck pocket is definitely an issue for dropping in necks from other JS's. I believe the neck pocket of the JS700 is made wide to accomodate the thick finish on the original JS700 necks. Once you strip the clear coat and stain from the 700 neck, it's pretty close to other JS neck widths. I'm putting a neck from a 542R on it, so I also had to shim up the neck pocket with thin strips of hobby basswood.

Having said all that, how'd it turn out? Well, the body looks beautiful with the tung oil finish. And now it's sort of a JS700/JS6 mongrel. And I'll always love this guitar because I did the work. But... I could have been playing all that time, rather than getting sanding blisters. My new rule is that "gear time" must not consume any more than 5% of my total "music" time. The rest needs to be hands-on playing (at least that's my oath).

So what did you guys do?

Cheers,
Bert

Tags
clear coat , custom ibanez , edge trem , fixed bridge , guitar body , ibanez neck , pickup cavities , tung oil , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode