I want to buy a burnt blue JS - But does the fact that it do - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I want to buy a burnt blue JS - But does the fact that it do

I don't know about a guitar without 24 frets. *JS's are beauts, no question. *But does anyone find the fretboard limiting? *I am not attacking JS guitars here. *In fact, I'd love one. *Just want to know peoples experience with the 'less than 24' neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 05:53 PM

I want to buy a burnt blue JS

I use the 24th quite a lot, don't dig 22 at all
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 06:43 PM

I'm more accustomed to 24-fret guitars for visual orientation, but i never really hit the 24th fret at all when playing, and my guitars with 22 frets don't bother me at all.

This is a really old debate... everyone has their preference. If you regularly use the 24th fret, it'll bother you. If not, you'll get used to it. Only you can decide.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

yeah, its all in your flavour I guess. *I'd still like to hear peoples comments though. *I guess I haven't been around jemsite long enough to know that this debate is 'old'. *Sorry if I'm taking up space, I'd really like peoples opinions *
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 08:12 AM

It all depends on what you're used to playing. I played a strat with only 21 frets for years. When I got a 22 fret guitar, (which was another strat incidently- I got my JS1000 later) it opened up a whole new range of possibilities. There were alot of songs, mainly Joe's songs that you couldn't play all the way through unless you had that 22nd fret. Whether I could play them all the way through or not was another story !

Having said that, I have only ever played two 24 fret guitars and found that I didn't even venture past the 22nd fret. That's just me and my style of playing.

I loaned a friend my JS1000 when he was recording his CD. But he found it too limiting only having 22 frets. His JPM100P4 must have made him spoilt.

Different strokes for different folks.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2002, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Like Darren, I find the 24 frets very useful for letting me see where I am on the board, but I'm also lucky that I can usually hear where I am on the board too.

I swap between My JEMs and RGs and the JS's quite effortlessly these days, but I admit if I don't keep playing both it takes a while to get used to the change.

I don't always use all 24 frets, in fact many of my fave players have 22 fre signature guitars, Satch, Nuno, George Lynch and none of them seem to have any trouble
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 11:28 AM
Ibanez endorsed

Well I speak as a person that went from 13 different 24 fret JEMS to 7 different 22 fret JS's. All I can say is that when I want to hear the 24th fret..... I bend the 22nd fret up a whole step * And if I want to hear the 26th fret I either use the whammy bar or use my WH1 pedal *

One thing I do miss though is the scalloped fret board on the higher frets. The notes just sustain a little more with the scallop but everything else about the JS makes up for it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 09:33 AM

Doesn't bother me. I spent ages palying 22 fret guitars untill I got a bastardised rg (which is currently dead, but looks cool )

I rarely venture past the 22nd fret, but sometimes I do. Just depends on the guitar. Don't miss it, and there's something about the sound of the neck pickup on 22 fret guitars in my opinion. Fuller, but that could just be me...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees
Doesn't bother me. I spent ages palying 22 fret guitars untill I got a bastardised rg (which is currently dead, but looks cool )

I rarely venture past the 22nd fret, but sometimes I do. Just depends on the guitar. Don't miss it, and there's something about the sound of the neck pickup on 22 fret guitars in my opinion. Fuller, but that could just be me...
Yep, fuller fatter... thats cause its farther from the bridge than on 24 fret beauties. I like them both, so I have them both for variety.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 01:15 AM

I think 22 is enough IMO. I'm like sonic blue. played 21 fret strat my whole life....bought a JS1000 for my 2nd axes like 8-10 years into my playing...so going to a 24 fret guitar? lol....liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle too high for my tastes. I just do what Rikk Beatty does, bend the strings and use the trem.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 12:32 AM
EKG

I prefer the 24 frets myself. Rikk is right about bending up and using the trem. But I find the 24 frets good in tapping situations.

Tags
fret board , fret guitar , fret guitars , neck pickup , rikk beatty , signature guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode