I want a rosewood fretboard for my BFP - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

I want a rosewood fretboard for my BFP

I need some serious advice on this one.

I've just put a Steve's Special and an Air Norton in my BFP so that I could get a tone close to the JPM (I just sold mine ). The results were marginally satisfactory. After the Paf Pro's it was a nice change for the better. But the problem is: I guess the maple neck, which was optimal for the PAF PROs didn't quite work out with this pickup configuration. The maple seems to steal a lot of bottom end which I had loved on the JPM (or that's what I think).

Do you guys think that the maple neck is the culprit in this situation? If it is, I would seriously consider a new fingerboard. Do I have a point or am I acting a bit anal?
It would be best if I could find an FP neck or an old heel joint type rosewood Ibanez neck in the mean time to try it out but I may not have the chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 05:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
spare the BFP and get another JPM. You'd likely be unhappy w/ the result since it offers no guarantee as to tone... glen
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 07:28 PM

Don't ruin a BFP like that, you have no guarantee that that's where the tone will come from. If yuo really want the JPM tone, sell the BFP and get a JPM..
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 11:04 PM

Yeah dude leave BFP as it is. No harm.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 12:58 AM

Maple fretboard is one thing that makes BFP so great. Don't do it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 07:18 AM

Got to agree - trade it for what you want, the BFP is a fairly desirable guitar and you should have no problem trading for a JPM
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 10:06 AM

is it just me

are we not missing out on a big issue here.. is the JPM not made of mahogany? or is it just me... but surely basswood would be the answer for the loss in bottom end compared to a mahogany body... and then the board would be a more subtle tonality change on top of that...
someone please correct me if im talking nonsense... but i always thought JPM models were mahogany...

R.L.L
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: is it just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBurn
are we not missing out on a big issue here.. is the JPM not made of mahogany? or is it just me... but surely basswood would be the answer for the loss in bottom end compared to a mahogany body... and then the board would be a more subtle tonality change on top of that...
someone please correct me if im talking nonsense... but i always thought JPM models were mahogany...

R.L.L
Nope they're basswood.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

The JPM body is basswood too. That's what made me come to the conclusion that the fretboard is what makes the difference.

My actual problem is that I don't like JPM too much. I just love the tone and I have to admit I think I have started to favor the feel of the rosewood more.
On the JPM:
The neck is too thin for me
I don't like the 3 way switch
I want easy and quick pinky access to my volume control
The input is not tilted. I've stepped on and pulled the cord out a few times
42mm nut width, (43mm on the JEM) maybe a small difference but I feel it
No single pup in the middle. I like using postitions 2 and 4.

Meanwhile on the BFP it's quite the reverse. I like everything about it. Features, playability, everything is just right. But, even though it has been my main axe for years, I was never too pleased with the tone.

You guys made me feel very guilty, sacrilegious...
But with all the dirt on the maple board from years of playing, my BFPs board looks like rosewood anyway
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 07:42 AM

How about...
- Sell you BFP
- Buy a FP & new pickups

I suspect that you'll be able to do that and end up with some cach on the side.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 12:48 PM

First of all, I stand firm in my opinion that fretboard wood doesn't make an ants sh*t of difference in tone. I've swapped fretboards on numerous necks and the tone unplugged or plugged in made no difference.

My guess is your JPM is sounding thicker for a couple reasons, first of all, your JPM might have been built from a denser piece of Basswood. Basswood is very cheap wood and not very consistent, but it sounds decent and is light, that's why so many like it.
Secondly, you have MORE wood in the JPM, the electonics cavity route is smaller, it has no middle pickup, no grip, and more mass in the trem cavity. Also, in the AANJ, you have a more substantial mass of wood right against the neck than on the old neck joint.

I think all you would gain by putting a rosewood fretboard on a BFP would be ruining a BFP neck.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 05:20 PM

Tuff one man..... My thoughts are "stop the madness".... Man I would kill for a BFB,,, I understand your problem,,, you ear wants that old sound back in a different breed of guitar. I can notice the change in tone from maple to rosewood or ebony. Jems and UV's are very precise machine, the string string tension especially can change the entire sound,,, a couple of spins up or down on that stud mount heigth can change everything.
Density of wood, and finish can make a huge difference. Case in point, my old UVGR has 5 coats total on the body,,,, this one sounds sooo much meaner than a different one that had 3 coats. Again, it's all back to the wood and set up,,,,,
Have you tried releiving the neck just a touch, and lowering the post mounts just a fraction of a turn. You can literally transform the warmth of the sound by changing that tension. Short of that,,, if I still had my white jem I would trade you in a heart beat.

~A
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

OK, I've been playing my BFP since my post through different amps, different preamp settings. I've messed around with the EQ, played clean, high gain, low gain, lead, rythm. I've decided that the BFP has the exact tonal characteristics (attack, sustain/decay, power) of the JPM, but with a slight change in tone color (as expected). The tone is vey unique and I'm begining to like it and I think with proper EQ settings I can get the exact JPM tone.

I was especially relieved after LGMs post. I gave a second thought to everything and forced myself out of that state of panic, panic of losing the JPM tone. He is right about the difference in body. I remeber the JPM had a lot different dry tone. Almost as it was semihollow, guitar was loud unplugged. The body was lighter than any RG or JEM I've seen. It was a P4 BTW with a very thin coat.

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I'm so pleased with my BFP the was it is now, I woud recommed this mod to any BFP owner If they are not satisfied with the PAF Pro's and want more raw power. Besides the Air Norton and the stock Jem single in single coil mode create a very graceful clean tone.

Tags
air norton , amp settings , bfp neck , clean tone , coil mode , fretboard wood , ibanez neck , mahogany body , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck joint , paf pro , paf pros , rosewood fretboard , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode