Ibanez ‘FLO’ guitar - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Ibanez ‘FLO’ guitar

Just putting it out there but what with Satriani releasing a signature model with a sustainer , Steve Vai generally releases a similar model idea. How about a FLO guitar release. I think it could become a possibility. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

Re: Ibanez ‘FLO’ guitar

It only matters what Steve wants/thinks. He's been playing the fernandes sustainer for 25 years and hasn't made it happen to his signature guitar line. My thought is ...
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANT5150 View Post
Just putting it out there but what with Satriani releasing a signature model with a sustainer , Steve Vai generally releases a similar model idea. How about a FLO guitar release. I think it could become a possibility. Any thoughts?
Sustainiac has been installing Sustainiac's into Jems for years. They really have sorted out all the problems down to the change from the VLX91 pickup selector to the VLX-91 pickup selector. (I wrote that correctly.) It could be done because it is being done, but not by Ibanez as a production signature model. I can not explain why but perhaps others can.
Stealth Pro in guitars with pickguards
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:35 PM
Vendor

Steve uses Fernandes sustainers and according to the brass there's no way they'll do a deal with Ibanez to use them in production.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:26 PM

Maybe we just need Satch to oversee the direction of the JEM line, we'd have sustainers and Fujigen builds galore!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:55 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
Maybe we just need Satch to oversee the direction of the JEM line, we'd have sustainers and Fujigen builds galore!
Joe isn't going to solve Steve's sustainer choice but they seem to be complete opposites in their goals in guitar production. Joe doesn't seem to care about the 24P and 140's, they're only available in one color [I think, I don't care about them either] and his focus is entirely on Fujigen production. Of course his guitars cost a bit less than JEM's but I believe that is due to Steve's royalty rate. There would appear to be more CNC time in a JS body than in a JEM, although the vine is going to add production cost to the JEM itself.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

The JEM77 needs to be the J2400 series, new colour every year or so, updated pickups every so often. I just want it to be the Japanese 77, not the Indonesian 77 like it is at the moment!
Leviathus likes this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Vendor

Look at the JS before 2012 and tell me how alive it was. 1200CA was back to an Edge, otherwise, it was still the same guitar from 2004, and the only Fujigen JS available.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 07:04 PM

Rear route + clear guard ftw. I dare say I think it'd be cool to see a non swirled uv77, solid color or even cloth pattern if they wanted to be adventurous. Eventually Ibanez will put out a fresh production Vai MIJ right? They already have the canvas established (ie 7,77,777) they just gotta apply some new colors and minor spec updates, how hard is that?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Vendor

To repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Steve considers Japanese as "high end" and is not concerned with the "high end" in the least. He's focused on these low and mid level Premium models only, with a dash of whatever limited they're get done in Japan. They kept quoting Japan and the sales figures for Japanese JEM's, which are very weak. Yes, the VWH has been on the market for 24 years and the FP2 has been out for 8? Both of which sold very well when they came out, but at $4000+ these have a limited buyer market, and within 2 years new sales dry up because everybody that knows the guitars have been released have either bought, decided they didn't want, or would never pay new prices and will wait on the used market. So Japanese JEM sales are weak, because there's never anything new. I keep trying to impress on them they need to steer Steve a little and not completely neglect a segment of the market that, wants to buy a new Japanese JEM, but they want a new and different JEM than the 24 and 8 year old models only stragglers are buying. It's a stone wall. But bottom line is Steve is driving the JEM to be a Premium market model.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Look at the JS before 2012 and tell me how alive it was. 1200CA was back to an Edge, otherwise, it was still the same guitar from 2004, and the only Fujigen JS available.
Oh, I completely agree!

The whole line had seemingly reached an impasse at that point and sat for the best part of 10 years. The General Lee orange guitar was a VERY welcome start to an equally welcome pattern of getting in touch with the fans and bringing new finishes to market every year on the "right" guitar. Hopefully Joe's wallet is reaping the rewards of his new strategy.

I wish Steve would adopt a similar approach, but maybe his insider knowledge tells him he needs to focus on the Indonesian sales as that's where money in his model is nowadays. I love the look of the new BFP, but so far I'm not prepared to pay that sort of money for a guitar without the trem I want, that may change, but it hasn't so far.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:04 PM

I would have bought a BFP if it had an Edge/Lo-Pro and was made in Japan. When I was younger that was one of my dream guitars, especially liked them after watching Bob Zabek play one in the early days of google video, just before Youtube. Similarly though, if they came out with an exciting new model with a sustaniac I would buy it, but not at the price bracket I paid for my 777 since that is basically overpriced by about £1000.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I would have bought a BFP if it had an Edge/Lo-Pro and was made in Japan. When I was younger that was one of my dream guitars, especially liked them after watching Bob Zabek play one in the early days of google video, just before Youtube. Similarly though, if they came out with an exciting new model with a sustaniac I would buy it, but not at the price bracket I paid for my 777 since that is basically overpriced by about £1000.
I disagree about the 777s being overpriced when you compare them to the direct competition at UK prices, but I do think they seem expensive nowadays in absolute terms.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I disagree about the 777s being overpriced when you compare them to the direct competition at UK prices, but I do think they seem expensive nowadays in absolute terms.
£3050 is really expensive for what boils down to an RG550 with some fancy styling and Dimarzio pickups, the RG's come in at £899 and the pickups would set you back about £250. To use a more direct example you can get a Jem 7V for £2400 (which is also overpriced). At that 3k+ you're looking at Suhrs, Tom Andersons, Fender Custom Shop etc which is a step above in terms of quality.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I got to play a JEM777SK 30th Anniversary recently and it was an eye-opening experience. I have played several Jem models many times but I think this may have been my first “square-heel joint” model. I would need to play many Jems back to back in order see if this is true, but I noticed the square heel joint acted like a brick wall for my hand. When my thumb hit the joint, my hand naturally pivoted placing my fingers perpendicular to the frets. Those frets happened to be the top 4 scalloped frets which were very easy to play, easier than most guitars, which is why Vai had the frets scalloped. The point being the JEM’s unique features that may seem eccentric (because some are) actually work together to create a better playing guitar. I’m not sure the AANJ improves the JEM and wonder why the UV’s never had scalloped frets. If you remove one feature, the others suffer. (theoretically) The Jem does an amazing job of naturally putting the players fingers where they need to be, which is something few guitars do equally well.

With that said, it is difficult to account for the $3000+ MAP prices that have become so common across nearly all brands building solid body electric guitars. There are exceptions but few of them can be attributed to the major manufacturers. Of course, electric guitars have never been particularly rational instruments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode