Ibanez 77vbk pickguard - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez 77vbk pickguard

Hey guys I recently purchased a jem 77vbk and it's a beauty. However, the mirror pickguard seems to catch allot of dust this would no problem if the dust only accumlated on the pickguard but it seems to build up allot in between the pickups area. Is there anyway to clean In between the pickups efficiently without having to take out the strings? I also keep it in it's case when not being played and I always wipe it down before putting it in the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Ibanez 77vbk pickguard

I have this guitar, also, and I rarely clean around the mirror pickguard.......I'm afraid that I may scratch it all up with a cloth. It is going on three years now since I bought it new, and although it is picking up its share of pick swirls, etc...I'm still paranoid about rubbing a rag on it. Maybe a few jets of air from an air compressor would clear it out.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Mine is an 08 and it only has 3 light scratches with no pick swirls. When I bought it came with a cleaning towel that felt like it had grip very hard to explain but I clean with that. I just buy a can of compressed air but will this harm the pickups or mess up the mirror pickguard in anyway. I know compressed air consists of well air but I'm not sure if it might have a solvent in it that can possible corrode the pickguard. I guess I'll just ask my guitar tech when I go to setup. But it would be great to hear some insights from the peeps on this forum.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 AM

I clean my mirror pickguards occasionally with a fresh good polishcloth. Some polishclothes can scratch, so yo have to find good ones that don't scratch. I have about hundreds of small watchmaker polisclothes I got from my job It's import that they are fresh. I only use a poliscloth a few times before it goes in the trashcan.
If I have a lot of dust on the pickguard I use a rubberblower first, because dust can scratch if you move it around. Then I just carefully wipe of the fingerprints etc..
For removing scratches I put 2 different poliswaxes used for polishing plexiglass on a poliscloth and carefully polish on the scratches until they totally disappear
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Try the Planet Waves microfiber polish cloth....it's untreated and much finer than the standard flannel cloths. I've used it on the pickguard on myUV777BK as well as the entire body of my mirror 77BRMR and never had any scratching issues from the cloth. I also use Dunlop polish, but you can also use the "hot breath" method which works equally well. Good luck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Those long cotton swabs work great! You know, those ones that doctors use? You can also use popsicle sticks wrapped with a very soft fabric.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Reviews: 2

an old 100% cotton T-shirt is the best thing you can use.... just be sure there's nothing on it that CAN scratch the plastic or paint.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 4

Also, whenever i go in to clean "deep", I take out the trem so the strings don't interfere. thats also a good time to oil the neck, polish the frets etc. rich has some good instructions on his site.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys Im going to order the planet waves polish cloths and use the method of wrapping it around a popsicle stick to get in between the pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode