Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Re: Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time?

It sounds like you guys have itchy feet, could this mean the Jackson custom shop website suddenly gets a lot of business from frustrated Ibanez owners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 10:42 PM

It's great if Ibanez have a custom shop
post #18 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma
It sounds like you guys have itchy feet, could this mean the Jackson custom shop website suddenly gets a lot of business from frustrated Ibanez owners?
I wonder if that's true..
post #19 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Ibanez V.I.P.

The Ibanez Custom Shop is located in Sun Valley ( North of Los Angeles ) California. We have 5 guitar makers working full time, 5 days a week. These Ibanez Custom guitars are unfortunately only available to our Artist Relation department. Our Artist Relation department has well over 100 Ibanez guitar endorses and everybody want custom Ibanez guitar made for them. We know how important to make these custom guitars available to the general public but at this moment it is not possible. The Ibanez Custom Shop is growing very quickly so may be someday in near future will become available to all of our customers. Thank you very much for your interest.
post #20 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak Hosono View Post
The Ibanez Custom Shop is located in Sun Valley ( North of Los Angeles ) California. We have 5 guitar makers working full time, 5 days a week. These Ibanez Custom guitars are unfortunately only available to our Artist Relation department. Our Artist Relation department has well over 100 Ibanez guitar endorses and everybody want custom Ibanez guitar made for them. We know how important to make these custom guitars available to the general public but at this moment it is not possible. The Ibanez Custom Shop is growing very quickly so may be someday in near future will become available to all of our customers. Thank you very much for your interest.
Well it's comforting to know you are at least monitoring our interests and listening to us even if we do sometimes ask for a lot.

Ben
post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 09:32 AM

Reviews: 13
Smile Re: Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time?

Quote:
I think Cost and Manpower issue is the main course here that Ibanez rejecting the Public Custom Shop. Imagine most of you all got what you want in a Custom guitar and not ordering anymore and not alot of the public can really afford a custom guitar, than what happen to the extra man power idling without much work. It's not feasible to run a business like that. This is in turn will make Ibanez Guitars cost more and expensive to cover the loses and it's not a great idea for Ibanez motto "to make available and afordable quality guitars to everyone"
This is well just my thought IMHO.
post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 11:56 AM

I dont know about that. I think there is enough interst in a custom shop to keep anyone there pretty busy for a really long time. You said it yourself, not everyone is going to be able to afford it so you staff according to the amount of orders you get. Correct me if Im wrong but I believe there would be plenty of demand to keep that shop busy. The only thing I see wrong with it is this. If you have enough money to buy a production Jem (1800-2300) here in the US you probably can squeak the extra cash for a Custom Shop. So wouldnt production Jems suffer?

Peace
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 12:22 PM
dex

Custom shop is a very limited and exclusive market segment.
Not only will you have to drop $3000-$4000 down to get what you want but it'll also take 4-6 months between you specing out the guitar and geting it.
No such thing as list and retail when it comes to a custom shop either - you pay for what you spec out.

In fact like a lot of people mentioned this can be a very efficient "finishing only" shop with all the bodies and necks + all the hardware (minus pickups) coming from Japan and only the finishing touches and assembly done in the US.

It's a good idea and it can work very well but for some reason Hoshino USA can't be bothered to do it.
I'd love to know why as with 4-6 months turnaround time they can even afford to publicise a custom shop at let's say NAMM and then take orders (and deposits) for a good month before they even start recruiting people so they can see the demand this generates and recruit/train accordingly.
post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Only 5 builders?

Regards

André

post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time?

I Love custom shop guitars but I don't like their prices!!!
post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:32 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Custom shop is a very limited and exclusive market segment.
Not only will you have to drop $3000-$4000 down to get what you want but it'll also take 4-6 months between you specing out the guitar and geting it.
No such thing as list and retail when it comes to a custom shop either - you pay for what you spec out.

In fact like a lot of people mentioned this can be a very efficient "finishing only" shop with all the bodies and necks + all the hardware (minus pickups) coming from Japan and only the finishing touches and assembly done in the US.

It's a good idea and it can work very well but for some reason Hoshino USA can't be bothered to do it.
I'd love to know why as with 4-6 months turnaround time they can even afford to publicise a custom shop at let's say NAMM and then take orders (and deposits) for a good month before they even start recruiting people so they can see the demand this generates and recruit/train accordingly.
A big corporation like Ibanez does not deal in chance, namely the idea that Ibanez could get their customers money before they start recruiting/training people for the job is simply idiotic!
The process of recruiting and hiring people is extrmely time consuming and is very hard to find people who are qualified and committed to the job therefore their turn turn around deadlines would be severly compromised!
post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma View Post

Considering a 7VWH over here is £1800 thats a real bargain, heck I might order one myself!
You wouldnt pay that for a 7VWH though, unless you were stupid. 1300 is closer to market price.
post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:27 PM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
A big corporation like Ibanez does not deal in chance, namely the idea that Ibanez could get their customers money before they start recruiting/training people for the job is simply idiotic!
The process of recruiting and hiring people is extrmely time consuming and is very hard to find people who are qualified and committed to the job therefore their turn turn around deadlines would be severly compromised!
Finishing only shop where the bulk of the work is done in Japan will be capable of "spec to complete" time of less than a month and all custom shops I've talked to so far (Jackson and ESP to name a few) have a turnaround time of 4-6 months.
That is absolutly tons of time when you already have 5 masterbuilders and your only job is to tweak guitars and features, not actually making them.

I think you have very little knowledge of how most busineses operate and way too much fate in Ibanez and Hoshino USA.

In this day and age where many luthiers can afford to own a CNC machine and a duplicarver and there are places like Legacy One and Richard Fay, Ibanez can't afford to lose the custom market to unlicensed builders....... but the fact that they do tells me Ibanez is really a company focusing on producing and selling budget guitars.
They'll do anything for the sub $500 market and only cater for the rest of us out of obligation.

Also about the idiotic idea - I said deposit.
Look it up in Google.
All custom shops require a deposit to take your order.
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post

They'll do anything for the sub $500 market and only cater for the rest of us out of obligation.
I think this is very true, it seems that the RG550's heyday as their staple instrument has given way to the RG350's
post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:57 PM

Exactly.

And to suggest it is not profitable to have some sort of custom shop is just ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as the lack of options on the current mass produced guitars.

Alot of the other guitar manufacturers are giving us choices. That's why the next NEW guitar I buy will not be an Ibanez, most likely.

Hey...why not at least make the J customs availble to everyone. Whatever.

This sums it up......

"..... it seems that the RG550's heyday as their staple instrument has given way to the RG350's."

Tags
andy timmons , body shape , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom ibanez , custom inlays , custom jem , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dimarzio paf , duncan pickups , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , fixed bridge , fret size , fretboard wood , hoshino gakki , hoshino usa , ibanez custom shop , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jackson custom shop , jem neck , joe satriani , magnus olsson , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck shape , paul gilbert , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , pro pickups , reversed headstock , richard fay , rosewood fretboard , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode