Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Finishing only shop where the bulk of the work is done in Japan will be capable of "spec to complete" time of less than a month and all custom shops I've talked to so far (Jackson and ESP to name a few) have a turnaround time of 4-6 months.
That is absolutly tons of time when you already have 5 masterbuilders and your only job is to tweak guitars and features, not actually making them.

I think you have very little knowledge of how most busineses operate and way too much fate in Ibanez and Hoshino USA.

In this day and age where many luthiers can afford to own a CNC machine and a duplicarver and there are places like Legacy One and Richard Fay, Ibanez can't afford to lose the custom market to unlicensed builders....... but the fact that they do tells me Ibanez is really a company focusing on producing and selling budget guitars.
They'll do anything for the sub $500 market and only cater for the rest of us out of obligation.

Also about the idiotic idea - I said deposit.
Look it up in Google.
All custom shops require a deposit to take your order.

Sorry but you are wrong again! Jackson Custom shop guitars are built from scratch in the US not assembled in the US !!! why do you think they are so pricy!!! I don't know about ESP but given the fact that is Japanese company what you said makes sense in their case but again it does not apply to Jackson! so if Ibanez was to open a custom shop like Jackson's and hoped to get their luthier staff once they got the orders then their turn arounds would be severely compromised period!!! Obviously Ibanez has not seen the profiability in opening a custom shop for the public and that's why they' aren't doing it and I do not think that they are specially concerned by small competitors either, so if you have so much knowledge on how business operate how come you can't see this
I'm not saying is right that Ibanez doesn't have a custom shop, I wish they did but in the business world all that matters is PROFITABILITY and unfortunately that does not go hand in hand with catering to a small customer market like a custom shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 10:52 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
Sorry but you are wrong again! Jackson Custom shop guitars are built from scratch in the US not assembled in the US !!! why do you think they are so pricy!!! I don't know about ESP but given the fact that is Japanese company what you said makes sense in their case but again it does not apply to Jackson! so if Ibanez was to open a custom shop like Jackson's and hoped to get their luthier staff once they got the orders then their turn arounds would be severely compromised period!!! Obviously Ibanez has not seen the profiability in opening a custom shop for the public and that's why they' aren't doing it and I do not think that they are specially concerned by small competitors either, so if you have so much knowledge on how business operate how come you can't see this
I'm not saying is right that Ibanez doesn't have a custom shop, I wish they did but in the business world all that matters is PROFITABILITY and unfortunately that does not go hand in hand with catering to a small customer market like a custom shop.
That's exactly my point.
post #33 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Ibanez V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
A big corporation like Ibanez does not deal in chance, namely the idea that Ibanez could get their customers money before they start recruiting/training people for the job is simply idiotic!
The process of recruiting and hiring people is extrmely time consuming and is very hard to find people who are qualified and committed to the job therefore their turn turn around deadlines would be severly compromised!
Dear Sir, you are exactly correct. It is always very hard for me to find qualified guitar makers for our shop. Since I'm the manager/shop foreman so that I have to train these people by myself.Usually takes about 5 to 6 years to get our guitar builder classification regardless of their experience. Our guitars are made here in Sun Valley California NOT in Japan. We do make every necks and bodies from scratch including truss rods and some of the hardwares too. We don't cut corners. I really wanted our guitars to be available to the public and I really mean it.
post #34 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Finishing only shop where the bulk of the work is done in Japan will be capable of "spec to complete" time of less than a month and all custom shops I've talked to so far (Jackson and ESP to name a few) have a turnaround time of 4-6 months.
That is absolutly tons of time when you already have 5 masterbuilders and your only job is to tweak guitars and features, not actually making them.

I think you have very little knowledge of how most busineses operate and way too much fate in Ibanez and Hoshino USA.
He has little knowledge of how most businesses operate????

The man from Ibanez laid it out for you that the 5 current builders don't have time to take on ANY more production and you are proposing they take on finishing shop duties as well?? And this man DOES know how a business operates because he helps run Ibanez.

A finishing only shop is not a custom shop. So which do you want, a finishing shop or a custom shop? This thread does say "Custom Shop". Even if there was any logic to a "finishing" only shop for Ibanez (there isn't), to do that, you are assuming that Japan will take on work they don't already do, stocking woods they don't currently use (custom buyers will want choices), reprogramming CNC machines for different inlays they don't do, etc. Not to mention the BUSINESS ramifications of who pays the shipping, and time delays caused by manufacturing at different sites, who the profit goes to, (because last I knew, Japan and USA are different cost and profit centers, right?) and any extra taxes and import quotas associated with the international manufacturing.

And how do 5 builders who are already completely booked up serving endorsees having "tons of time" to tweak guitars and features???
[/QUOTE]
post #35 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak Hosono View Post
Dear Sir, you are exactly correct. It is always very hard for me to find qualified guitar makers for our shop. Since I'm the manager/shop foreman so that I have to train these people by myself.Usually takes about 5 to 6 years to get our guitar builder classification regardless of their experience. Our guitars are made here in Sun Valley California NOT in Japan. We do make every necks and bodies from scratch including truss rods and some of the hardwares too. We don't cut corners. I really wanted our guitars to be available to the public and I really mean it.
Er, I guess that clears up who has the most knowledge of how businesses operate between Dex and Olie when Mr. Hosono (who IS the businessman) sides with Olie.
post #36 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Ibanez V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
He has little knowledge of how most businesses operate????

The man from Ibanez laid it out for you that the 5 current builders don't have time to take on ANY more production and you are proposing they take on finishing shop duties as well?? And this man DOES know how a business operates because he helps run Ibanez.

A finishing only shop is not a custom shop. So which do you want, a finishing shop or a custom shop? This thread does say "Custom Shop". Even if there was any logic to a "finishing" only shop for Ibanez (there isn't), to do that, you are assuming that Japan will take on work they don't already do, stocking woods they don't currently use (custom buyers will want choices), reprogramming CNC machines for different inlays they don't do, etc. Not to mention the BUSINESS ramifications of who pays the shipping, and time delays caused by manufacturing at different sites, who the profit goes to, (because last I knew, Japan and USA are different cost and profit centers, right?) and any extra taxes and import quotas associated with the international manufacturing.

And how do 5 builders who are already completely booked up serving endorsees having "tons of time" to tweak guitars and features???
[/QUOTE]

Yes, my point exactly. We do have a CNC mill but they don't paint or finish sand guitars for us.
post #37 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:14 AM

Reviews: 13

Yes, my point exactly. We do have a CNC mill but they don't paint or finish sand guitars for us.[/QUOTE]

Mr.Hosono Sir , you're damn funny man.
post #38 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:27 AM

Indeed! A great rep from Ibanez, it'd actually be really cool to meet Mr. Hosono one day...

Of course THAT'S the day I'm rich and famous endorsing Ibanez guitars with my own sig series...LOL. That'll never happen, but it doesn't hurt to wish!
post #39 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 03:44 AM

Quote:

Yes, my point exactly. We do have a CNC mill but they don't paint or finish sand guitars for us.
Thanks for contributing to this forum sir and please let us know when and if the custom shop does become open to the public.

Last edited by gu1tar; 12-22-2006 at 05:23 PM.
post #40 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Do you have people working part time for you or is it only these 5 full builders?

Regards

Andr

post #41 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Ibanez V.I.P.

Yes, I've got 4 guitar builders working for me and that's all.No part timers though.However the Ibanez custom shop is in expanding mode right now so we will get bigger and more efficient.
post #42 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, I've got 4 guitar builders working for me and that's all.No part timers though.However the Ibanez custom shop is in expanding mode right now so we will get bigger and more efficient.
Brilliant, where/when can we see some CS examples?
post #43 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 06:41 PM

Hey Tak, How do your LACS guitars compare to prestige guitars? I bet they are way better right?

If I was to give you $6000 to build me a relatively simple guitar would you do it? If you say yes.... we have a custom shop!
post #44 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Ibanez V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow Swordsman View Post
Indeed! A great rep from Ibanez, it'd actually be really cool to meet Mr. Hosono one day...

Of course THAT'S the day I'm rich and famous endorsing Ibanez guitars with my own sig series...LOL. That'll never happen, but it doesn't hurt to wish!
You say "Never happen"? Get up with your guitar and start playing. I'll be here waiting for you.
post #45 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 08:56 AM
dex

Most of you guys lack a very basic reading comprehension.

I'm not talking about what ESP, Jackson or Ibanez custom shops do, I'm talking about what Ibanez custom shop COULD be doing.

They COULD be a finishing only shop.
That will save them time AND money like nothing else.

I'll spell it out for you since you seem to be having a blonde week

95% of people on this forum want a customised RG therefore Mr Hosono (and Hoshino USA) can just order (and I'm not even saying from Japan - he could order them from Korea or Indonesia for all I care as after assembly and tweaking IN the custom shop in CA no one will be able to tell the difference)

30 RG ash bodies
30 RG mahogany bodies
30 RG alder bodes
30 RG baswood bodies
5 Koa and 5 Korina bodies

only routed for a hum in the bridge

with let's say 5 of each rear routed with no trem route, 5 front routed with no trem route, 10 rear routed with trem route and 10 front routed with trem route.

50 wizard II necks with blank ebony fretboard (15 reversed headstock)
50 wizard II necks with blank maple fretboard (15 reversed and 5 of each type with birdseye maple fretboards)
50 wizard II necks with blank rosewood fretboard (again 15 reversed)

A selection of scratchplates (white, black, pearloid, again only cut for a hum in the bridge)

70 Edge kits, 60 Lo pro kits and 20 Edge pro kits

So now when all these parts show up from Japan (or Korea), all they'll need to do in that custom shop is to route for extra pickups (according to the order), reshape the neck to wizard or jem or whatever, inlay the neck with dots, side dots, shark fins or a vine, install the preferred fret size, paint the body and assemble it.

There you go - a business model of what Ibanez COULD be doing instead of telling us how small their shop is and how they make everything in the US.

Hoshino USA, WAKE UP dudes, wake up.
I have even spelled out half your business model for you, take advantage.

Tags
andy timmons , body shape , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom ibanez , custom inlays , custom jem , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dimarzio paf , duncan pickups , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , fixed bridge , fret size , fretboard wood , hoshino gakki , hoshino usa , ibanez custom shop , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jackson custom shop , jem neck , joe satriani , magnus olsson , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck shape , paul gilbert , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , pro pickups , reversed headstock , richard fay , rosewood fretboard , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode