Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time?

It seems strange that such a big company does not have a genuine custom shop.

Do you think there would be interest in a web based custom shop system like jacksons? (http://www.jacksonguitars.com/resources/custshopquote/)

It seems like a great way to get that custom JEM/UV/RG simply picking from previous colours/specs of previous models, printing out a quote form poping along to your local Ibanez dealer and ordering your baby.

Would you guys actively use such a system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:07 AM

Re: Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time?

New Ibanez prices are pretty delirious as they are, and they have all their production centralized in a few factories...

Opening up a small shop in the US working by hand, even if its just a "finish" shop (cause bodies would still be cut in japan) would send prices even more thru the roof...

But yeah, im sure people here would use it a lot
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:15 AM

Well, I just did a "custom quote" on the Jackson site, going for something similar to a 7VWH. I wouldn't exactly call $3,370 cheap. And that was without inlays. It would probably add another $700-800 with that option.
So, if Jackson can maintain a custom shop environment, I don't see why Ibanez couldn't.
They could still get most of their stuff made overseas, and then just tweaked and finished over here.
Just like they used to, when the LACS first started...
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:35 AM

That would be awesome......wishful thinking.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:50 AM

That would be a nice step up for Ibanez .

Regards

André

post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Ibanez Custom Shop - About Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAI6
Well, I just did a "custom quote" on the Jackson site, going for something similar to a 7VWH. I wouldn't exactly call $3,370 cheap. And that was without inlays. It would probably add another $700-800 with that option.
So, if Jackson can maintain a custom shop environment, I don't see why Ibanez couldn't.
They could still get most of their stuff made overseas, and then just tweaked and finished over here.
Just like they used to, when the LACS first started...
Yeh but the beauty of it is, that ok you guys in the USA have to pay $3370 for a guitar like that, but thanks to the beauty of exchange rates us dudes/dudettes in the Uk would only pay £1191.11!

Considering a 7VWH over here is £1800 thats a real bargain, heck I might order one myself!
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:13 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma
Yeh but the beauty of it is, that ok you guys in the USA have to pay $3370 for a guitar like that, but thanks to the beauty of exchange rates us dudes/dudettes in the Uk would only pay £1191.11!
Good thing you're not a banker, because that's 1,985.27 pounts. And there's no way you'd be able to order straight from the US, you'd have to order it through YOUR local dealer and distributor and have it imported through normal chanels. Throw that price right out the window.
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

You just got lucky caus the exchange rate went down two points since yesterday Even so, it still means that ALL INCLUSIVE (did a check with a quoted Jackson custom at a UK dealer) for £2500/$4438 I can have a "7VWH alike" with a thru neck with scalloped heel ebony fingerboard with a nice ABALONE tree, cracking Seymour Duncan pickups and my name on the headstock mind you I have to have a lesser trem

But if Ibanez made it for me I could have a nice trem and a bigger smile on my face!
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
And there's no way you'd be able to order straight from the US, you'd have to order it through YOUR local dealer and distributor and have it imported through normal chanels.
Wouldn't a US address be enough to order it to USA? There are shipping companies that arrange the practical part of such an order. And they ship it to my home in Norway, if I want to. I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to order it to the US.
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor
Wouldn't a US address be enough to order it to USA? There are shipping companies that arrange the practical part of such an order. And they ship it to my home in Norway, if I want to. I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to order it to the US.
Got any websites? I'm looking for such a company that ship to Germany.

Regards

André

post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:41 AM

You read norwegian? I think you'll manage. http://www.magnum.no/
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
...And there's no way you'd be able to order straight from the US, you'd have to order it through YOUR local dealer and distributor and have it imported through normal chanels. Throw that price right out the window.
Actually it's really a matter of finding a US dealer that would put the order through for you, as Jackson won't deal with customers directly anyway. Although FMIC/Jackson would rather have you order the guitar from a local dealer and have it processed by a distributor, it's not a 100% requirement.

I managed to order in a Custom Soloist from Jackson USA as well as a Custom Horizon from ESP Japan(NOT ESP USA) even though I don't live in the US and am miles away from Japan. (Sadly both sold when I got GAS for Ibanez USA and J-Customs). The trick is to get a shop to order it for themselves and ship it to you. As in they don't put your info in the order sheet when they send the order in.

Also, the prices you get quoted from the Jackson/ESP online system is actually a LIST price. The actual price is less than that.

(man.. I miss my ESP Horizon now......... Oh well.. my JCRG-2 is just as good.)
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor
You read norwegian? I think you'll manage. http://www.magnum.no/
I'll guess so since I am danish . THX!!

Regards

André

post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Vendor

I never said there wouldn't be ways to beat the system
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 04:14 PM

If we couldn't beat the system, then the whole J-Custom line would be almost unattainable. It's a good thing there are loop holes around things.

Tags
andy timmons , body shape , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom ibanez , custom inlays , custom jem , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dimarzio paf , duncan pickups , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , fixed bridge , fret size , fretboard wood , hoshino gakki , hoshino usa , ibanez custom shop , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jackson custom shop , jem neck , joe satriani , magnus olsson , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck shape , paul gilbert , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , pro pickups , reversed headstock , richard fay , rosewood fretboard , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode