Which Ibanez guitar? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Which Ibanez guitar?

Hi all,

if one wants the lowest possible action an Ibanez guitar can offer which Ibanez should one buy? Consider all available types.

Greetings,
Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 01:02 PM

lowest action <=> best possible fretwork <=> Made in Japan. <=> Signature/Prestige lines. The rest is up to you. And a good setup.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 03:50 PM

Re: Which Ibanez guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbovee
Hi all,

if one wants the lowest possible action an Ibanez guitar can offer which Ibanez should one buy? Consider all available types.

Greetings,
Barry
Lowest action. Then the only option is to take the guitar to some good luthier to do a fret level. All factory guitars benefit from this. Also the JS.

The fretwork factory is done ok but not good. All my JS's have been leveled. And boy what a difference...

I bought my last from Rich(Ibanezrules banner on top) with the pro Fret Level option. With the low dollar for us Euro people it wont cost more than to get one in the Netherlands or Belgium.

Otherwise go with your guitar to Vox Humana. I hear they are good.

P.S. Are you the same guy from Guitarnet in the Netherlands ?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 04:45 PM

[off topic mode] hey deloosem, cool to meet you here. Just bought my JS10 with a little spot on the side of the body, but this guitar looks A W E S O M E (couldn't afford a 3000+ euro mint ed chromeboy I will post some pics asap on gitaarnet when I get it [/off topic mode]

btw @ gitaarnet my nickname is brianmayrulezzz (misschien moet ik die naam maar es gaan veranderen
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 05:22 PM

Would it be true to say a ZR trem would help with getting a lower action, on account of when you pull up with a ZR, the string height doesn't change?

Might not matter if you don't use the trem that way.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Lepidoptera
on account of when you pull up with a ZR, the string height doesn't change?

Bollocks, it acts no different than any other FR in that respect.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Satriani
[off topic mode] hey deloosem, cool to meet you here. Just bought my JS10 with a little spot on the side of the body, but this guitar looks A W E S O M E (couldn't afford a 3000+ euro mint ed chromeboy I will post some pics asap on gitaarnet when I get it [/off topic mode]

btw @ gitaarnet my nickname is brianmayrulezzz (misschien moet ik die naam maar es gaan veranderen
where did you buy it ?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Quote:

Alright, good to know. That's why I phrased it as a question. I thought I had read someone on this site making such a claim about the ZR, but wasn't sure. Seems to me like a trem that was made to rotate on an axle with string saddles tangent to a circle centered on the axle could be made such that it would not alter the string height, but just sort of "reel in" the strings a bit.. Guess the ZR is not such a trem, though, because, if anyone would know, it'd be you. And maybe there's some technical reason I'm not thinking of which makes such a trem impossible.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Re: Which Ibanez guitar?

Hi Deloosem,

I am not the guy from Guitarnet.
I took your advise and have brought my guitar to a luthier. He also told me my JS900 needed a fret level. Today he called me and said practically all frets needed to be leveled to become perfect. Cant wait for the result.

BTW this luthier also was Steve Vai's tech when Via was performing in The Netherlands earlier this year. So I assume he must be good.

Greetings,
Barry
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Quote:

Alright, good to know. That's why I phrased it as a question. I thought I had read someone on this site making such a claim about the ZR, but wasn't sure. Seems to me like a trem that was made to rotate on an axle with string saddles tangent to a circle centered on the axle could be made such that it would not alter the string height, but just sort of "reel in" the strings a bit.. Guess the ZR is not such a trem, though, because, if anyone would know, it'd be you. And maybe there's some technical reason I'm not thinking of which makes such a trem impossible.
A Bigsby works like that. The ZR just replaces knife edge with ball bearings.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 12:00 PM

How much does fret leveling cost?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 03:33 PM

[quote="Rich
Bollocks[/quote]

Man, I miss English Sware words!! Excellent use of one of the most versitle words in the English Language
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Vendor

That's what great about this place, you learn so much more than just boring guitar stuff

Tags
fret level , fret leveling , steve vai , string saddle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode