Ibanez JEM 10th Anniversary - Should I buy?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Question Ibanez JEM 10th Anniversary - Should I buy??

Hey Guys,

I am new here to Jemsite but have been around guitars for 20 years. I have always been a Les Paul guy and have lots of guitars and have recently re-discovered a few of Steve Vai's albums and I am hooked. I owned a desert yellow JEM 10 years ago and really liked the guitar but for some reason I traded it off for something.

Well I am back into the fold and I am going to buy some Jems for my collection and to play. I am currently the high bidder on a mint minus Jem 10th anniversary on the "bay" at $4K.

There is a $4.5K buy it now and I just don't know what the prices are on these things. I feel I may be on the leading edge of the market where I am. You guys seem to have your thumb on the market here so please chime in and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 07:54 AM

Re: Ibanez JEM 10th Anniversary - Should I buy??

4.5 for a near mint 10th sounds within reason. Rich should respond to this if he hasn't already BINned that 10th.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 08:00 AM

Rich sold that 10th to the guy who is selling it now The buy it now price is at the top end of the price range for these (in that condition), which I guess a BIN is designed to be. You won't make any money if you sell it anytime soon, but you won't lose any money if you BIN either. Most people are saving for a 20th, so now might be a good time to grab one.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 08:12 AM

If you got the highest bid at a little over 4k. What's another $500? I mean, if you want it and can't wait...

There will be four new 20th that you might want as well, so... Hard to say. You might not get outbid...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and tend to agree "The Euphor" with his "Whats another $500 bucks comment" but it is not mint and I dont have to have it today. It's not the money so much as just not wanting to jump to early for all the money on a guitar with a few small issues. This guitar went 10 days last time and only got up to $3800 or so.

Thanks for the comments though and if anyone else has anything to add feel free.

Best,
Brad
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 10:16 AM

http://www.ibanezrules.com/used/used_sold_jem.htm

This is the one from Rich's site (#477). It sold for $4350 on June 30th of this year, so it is pretty much in the exact same shape I would guess. The price is right I think. I wouldn't buy it now though, I think you should wait until the auction is over and although you haven't met the reserve, he has listed this a few times, and that costs money, so he may just say that your bid is good enough. If somebody else outbids you, more power to them. If he wants to relist it, more power to him. It is nice though, almost perfect, with the nice case and the certificate and everything. If I was in the market for one, I would bid what you bid and stop. Even if you get a perfect one, as soon as you play it you will rub the chrome off the pickups too.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 10:24 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

the 10 value will go up over the years but might have a short-term blip depending on the JEM20. If that is an exciting pricing, you might see more 10s for sale as collectors cash out or you might see the "that sucks lemme find a 10 now" effect. $4k is always better than $4.5k.

either way Rich's used page has one for $4850 from a reliable seller/grader so that sorta sets the bar as the absolute MAX what to spend relative to condition. if it were me i'd buy for $350 more from him than the BIN. That said, i don't know who's selling that, or if they're a member here. $4000 vs $4850 is a different consideration than $4500 vs $4850... glen
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
the 10 value will go up over the years but might have a short-term blip depending on the JEM20. If that is an exciting pricing, you might see more 10s for sale as collectors cash out or you might see the "that sucks lemme find a 10 now" effect. $4k is always better than $4.5k.

either way Rich's used page has one for $4850 from a reliable seller/grader so that sorta sets the bar as the absolute MAX what to spend relative to condition. if it were me i'd buy for $350 more from him than the BIN. That said, i don't know who's selling that, or if they're a member here. $4000 vs $4850 is a different consideration than $4500 vs $4850... glen
Thanks Glen, I think the one Rich had is sold or pending. I think I will see what happens at the $4K number and as you suggest and look at all options. In the mean time I will will pick up a new white production model to tie me over :-).

Best,
Brad
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Vendor

That 10th is available, email if you're interested.

I seriously doubt Barry would be going any lower as he's loosing at this point considerring he had to pay customs on it, which is something you need to consider also. 10% adds up fast
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 07:06 PM

Talking Re: Ibanez JEM 10th Anniversary - Should I buy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareguitar View Post
Thanks Glen, I think the one Rich had is sold or pending. I think I will see what happens at the $4K number and as you suggest and look at all options. In the mean time I will will pick up a new white production model to tie me over :-).

Best,
Brad
I love it, he is talking like he is buying jackets, "In the mean time I will will pick up a new white production model to tie me over." Awesome, buy as many as you can afford too. You may already know though, but in case you don't, that is not a players guitar, the chrome will come off the pups. It wouldn't stop me though if I had the money, they are awesome.

I think if the 20ths aren't desirable, we will see 10ths slightly increase. Soon we will all see-thru the 20th, oh, I mean see the 20th.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 07:12 PM

Reviews: 18

Don't meant to put my 2 cents but, the chrome coming off the pups is not so bad if you compare it to playing a chromeboy or a bad horsie,
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Just to check back in. I did buy the JEM 10 that was on **** and picked up the same sellers DNA while I was at it :-).

RG

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 08:12 AM

Nice guitars!! Cha-Ching!!!!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 08:49 AM

Man...I would play the hell out of a JEM10th...

Damn righties..
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 01:33 PM

How much money do you have? Nice guitars though.

Tags
les paul , production model , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode