The Ibanez Jem - 50K Celebration (feedback wanted) - Page 5 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:
But...what if the buyer doesn't order a case? What if they just want a gig bag? Cases aren't included in the purchase price. LOL
Code:
I knew when I wrote that post you in particular would bring this up.  So here's the alternative, pick 50 serial numbers of the last 5,000 guitars.  People who buy Jem's through that year go to Ibanez.com and see if your serial number wins a prize.  Prizes could be Jem memorabilia, actual JEm's and a day with Stevie and Mike.

How cool would that be.  

If the celebration has to include a guitar, I would suggest some way of personalizing them by possibly using good figured maple caps on mahogony bodies with an unfinished rosewood neck.  I'd say the vine inlay would be done in paua.  Oh and yes, you would have your choice of stains for the top.  Of course with the wood change, we'd probably need some different pups...although I bet EVO's would work well.  I like it when the Jem's are swirls or would offer more personal choices...so that your guitar is a little more personal.  I also agree that keeping the price tag more reasonable would be really helpful to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Quote:
Originally Posted by babahi
That's exactly my suggestion, that they keep from needlessly blowing up the price, as they did with the last commemorative guitars. Glad you helped me make it clear for everybody.
Then your posting here is completely and utterly useless and without merit. If you don't like it, don't read the thread and don't post. Obviously you have no interest in buying such a guitar anyway, so why waste everybody's time with such tripe?

Go over to the PRS Forum and waste their time whining about the $10K and up they charge for the overly-ostentatious Dragon models. The DNA proved that there is a market for extremely high-priced JEMs, therefore Ibanez knows that they CAN (and most likely will) ask that much, if not more, for a guitar. It's more than obvious that you're not the target demographic for such a model as is being discussed here and that's fine. But the purpose of this thread is to offer constructive suggestions in regards to the model itself. Not to bitch about prices that YOU think are too high.
Aside from simply being wrong, you're judging a bit too quickly; I never said I wasn't interested in buying one, only that I would like it not to be expensive. MM asked for thoughts and opinons and I gave it. Or should I start a whole new thread to state my opinion?

Also, I am just as entitled to my opinion about the pricing of their guitars as I am to their features. Both are relevant points. I happen to find the DNA very nice, but would never gratify Ibanez's pockets with what they were asking for them. Had they been considerably cheaper, I would have picked one up, as I did with other JEMs in the past.

Also, this is relevant because I am part of the Ibanez guitar market. I have bought 2 JS10's, a JS2K, a JEM GMC, VSBL, FP, UV777BK, PGM10 and other high end Ibanez signature guitars. Check out Ibanezregister.com. You are dead wrong when you state that I "obviously" am not interested in buying one. Where is this obvious? The only obvious thing is that I disagree with their pricing of some past commemorative models. You only assume the rest by rushing to your own conclusions based on your own agenda. That's not a good thing.

And since I own a number of Ibanez's and no PRS guitars, this is the approriate place to post my opinon, which is neither slanderous nor derogatory. This is also the appropriate thread. since it is about the possoble next commemorative guitar. As for features, I have no opinion on what I'd like to see, I prefer to be surprised.
post #63 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
The choice for this is obvious ::

Royal Blue (not a transparent/stained top)
White pickguard with some etched feathers and a vine in it filled with black or silver paint
Chrome hardware
12th fret inlay of 2 feathers
Painted headstock with something to do wtih 50k models
Another dark color would work as well.
post #64 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 10:18 PM

How about this milestone is celebrated with a simultaneous Jemfest in several countries? Have Ibanez produce a batch of commemorative Jems - something unique but recognisable like Neville maybe - and give one or two away at each country's event? And Steve could broadcast a set by satellite (or pre-recorded on video if that's too expensive) like David Bowie did recently for the launch of his Reality album, with an interactive Q&A session.

Oooh! And Steve could use a different model Jem for each song!
post #65 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 10:54 PM

Babahi- YOU couldn't be more wrong if you tried, and I couldn't care less about what you have to say if I DID try. It's simply not possible. All that youv'e done is bitched and whined about how expensive the recent limited models have been. You offered NO suggestions, constructive or otherwise, in regards to a 50K celebration. None. Not one. I couldn't give a $hit as far as what you have or what you have had. You've offered NOTHING of value in this thread.

I have no agenda. I'm honestly not that interested in where the JEM line goes anymore. But I do realize that the purpose of this thread is to voice ideas and thoughts of what a fitting celebration would be for the 50K sales landmark. Whining about how some Ibanez' models have been "overpriced" is idiotic and is as pointless as can be.
post #66 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 11:18 PM

I like the idea of re releasing the LNG but with AANJ.
post #67 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 11:26 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
NOTE TO EVERYONE

LETS LOSE THE DEBATE IN THIS THREAD
post #68 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 11:42 PM

Like many here, I got really excited to hear the commentary track and started itching for February to come only to find out the Chrome Jem was a phantom that would not materialize. I understand the reasons...just wish it'd happen. Sustainer or not, it's a beautiful guitar, and 5 grand or not, I'd buy it...
post #69 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 11:57 PM

Sorry glen, I wrote before yours came up in the post. I just removed it to correspond to your wishes. But it was friendly!

I have ruminated a bit on the features of the guitar itself: whatever Ibanez does, I think a lot of people, myself included, would like to see an AANJ on it. But a swirl might be a bit redundant on this model, unless they found a way to make it radically different. Still, I can't see how, as neon colours have been done, as well as dark colours (DNA). Maybe it would be best to do an updated (not reissued) GMC? Those colours seem timeless to me.
post #70 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 12:11 AM

I like the thought of a special one off guitar, maybe have a big contest to give it away or something. Just taking the 50,000th Jem off the line and making a special case for it and nice certificate for it would be cool too, maybe have Steve sign it and have a drawing to give that one away or put it in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the Smithsonian. It is after all for the 50,000th jem, not 500 or so 50,000th model Jems.
Matt
post #71 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 01:23 AM
Fry

I don't know if it has already been said, cause I'm not gonna read this whole thread, but I think that a version of a neck-through vwh would be perfect.
post #72 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 03:33 AM

Quote:
I have ruminated a bit on the features of the guitar itself: whatever Ibanez does, I think a lot of people, myself included, would like to see an AANJ on it. But a swirl might be a bit redundant on this model, unless they found a way to make it radically different. Still, I can't see how, as neon colours have been done, as well as dark colours (DNA). Maybe it would be best to do an updated (not reissued) GMC? Those colours seem timeless to me.

i think a TRANSPARENT SWIRL is the way to go.
maybe 2 different blues over quilt or flame maple, i almost think this is the ovious thing to do realy, it would be nice and fresh subtle yet jem esque wacky, it woukd have everythin

i dont think think they should touch green and black again the gmc is a classic and to do somethin coparable would mar that.
post #73 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 04:00 AM

Gold Floral Pattern with AANJ.. ooh how would that turn out.. purdy!
post #74 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 08:39 AM

In my opinion, the gold anniversary edition isn't really appropriate. While it is a very neat idea, and one that occurred to me before I read any other posts, to me the 50th "golden" anniversary refers to 50 years. If it did refer to product numbers, should there be a 50th anniversary model Chevy Corsica (and many other car models).

I'd like to see those who may purchase the 50,000th JEMs get treated somehow. I don't know if they'll be able to know exactly who the lucky guy will be, but maybe a sweepstakes of some kind. Maybe Steve goes on a mini concert tour, and those who bought JEMs around the 50,000 mark get free tickets. Something like that.

It seems to me that there are plenty of special edition JEMs. To create too many lessens their value. I don't think Ibanez wants to do that. Although, I do like the idea of a color-changing JEM.
post #75 of 455 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 08:42 AM

Reviews: 5
about the p&w idea, nevermind....

I still think a very formal elegant one would look great. White and gold with detail work.

Tags
aaa maple , aanj neck , abalone binding , abalone dots , abalone inlays , abalone vine , access neck joint , alder body , alexi laiho , andy timmons , andy timmons model , art guitar , beautiful guitar , black headstock , black pickguard , black pickups , bobbin toppers , body shape , bridge pickup , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , buzz feiten tuning system , cavity cover , chrome boy , chrome hardware , chrome jem , clear coat , coil tap , control knobs , cosmo black hardware , cosmo hardware , crystal planet , custom guitar , custom ibanez , custom inlays , custom jem , custom shop , david lee roth , dimarzio strap , dome knobs , double neck , ebony board , ebony finger board , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , edge pro trem , edge pro tremolo , edge trem , eric clapton , evo pickups , evolution bridge , evolution bridge pickup , evolution pickups , feiten system , feiten tuning system , fernandes sustainer , finger board , fire garden , flame maple , flamed maple , floyd trem , fret board , fret inlay , fret markers , frets scalloped , gold knobs , gold trem , guitar body , guitar shop , horsie jem , ibanez dealer , ibanez jem , jackson custom shop , jem dna , jem gmc , jem lng , jem neck , jem neck profile , killer guitar , led inlays , les paul , les pauls , loch ness green , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , lotus feet , mahogany body , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fret board , maple fretboard , maple neck , medium frets , mirrored pickguard , monkey grip , mounted pickups , neck joint , neck joints , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck plate , neck position , neck pup , neck thru , nuno bettencourt , paf pro , paf pro pickups , paf pros , pearloid pickguard , pickup combination , pickup cover , piezo bridge , pro edge , pro pickups , pro tremolo , production model , prs guitar , prs guitars , pull tone , pull tone pot , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , quilted maple , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , rosewood neck , scalloped frets , scratch plate , signature guitar , sims custom , sims custom shop , speaker cab , speaker cabs , standard jem , steve lukather , steve vai , swamp ash , swamp ash body , swirl jem , swirled jem , trem arm , trem setter , tremolo bridge , triple neck , triple neck heart guitar , truss cover , truss rod , truss rod cover , tuning system , white pearloid pickguard , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode