Ibanez JEM 7v. What's holding you back? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 93
Ibanez JEM 7v. What's holding you back?

Hi guys, I've always been an Ibanez RG player and have always been hovering around JEMS. I do not own a JEM but there is always something about a JEM that's holding me back from a purchase. It's either the timing is not right (as is with the 777's. I was too young back then). Not made in Japan (70V which I love the colour combo but it's MII). 7V (Which I think they got everything right but that gold hardware is just too pretty).

So if I were to pull the trigger on the JEM 7V, what color hardware does Steve use on his EVO? Sometimes it looks like black but sometimes it looks somewhat lighter? Possible for me to order a complete set of hardware (Tuners, Locknuts, Tremolo bridge, Pickguard, backplate screws) in different colors to replace the gold hardware?

THanks guys.
Atomant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 06:52 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Melbourne, FL 32940
Posts: 3,348
Re: Ibanez JEM 7v. What's holding you back?

It's Black Chrome, Ibanez calls it Cosmo Black.
sebastian is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 12:55 PM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: earth
Posts: 314
Re: Ibanez JEM 7v. What's holding you back?

The only reason Vai ever replaced the gold hardware is because when it needed switching, cosmo black was what's in his tech's bag at the time..

somehow I get the feeling that if Vai still used the gold hardware and kept his guitar looking like G3 1996, , most of us would never consider cosmo black

If you still want to switch it out, go to jemsite buy/sell section, I'm sure many here would be glad to get your gold h/w for cosmo black

p.s you might also want new EVO pikcups with chrome pots xd

Last edited by hanban; 09-08-2016 at 01:02 PM.
hanban is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 93
Re: Ibanez JEM 7v. What's holding you back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanban View Post
The only reason Vai ever replaced the gold hardware is because when it needed switching, cosmo black was what's in his tech's bag at the time..

somehow I get the feeling that if Vai still used the gold hardware and kept his guitar looking like G3 1996, , most of us would never consider cosmo black

If you still want to switch it out, go to jemsite buy/sell section, I'm sure many here would be glad to get your gold h/w for cosmo black

p.s you might also want new EVO pikcups with chrome pots xd
I remember Steve once mentioned that the bridge and other hardware can be swapped out and doesn't affect the tone.

Steve wouldn't have a problem pulling off the gold hardware but I personally find it too pretty for my liking.

What's up with the new EVO pickups with chrome pots???
Atomant is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 93
Re: Ibanez JEM 7v. What's holding you back?

I guess my best bet is to wait it out. Till Ibanez decides to make a MIJ JEM that suites my taste.
Atomant is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:33 AM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: earth
Posts: 314
Re: Ibanez JEM 7v. What's holding you back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomant View Post
I remember Steve once mentioned that the bridge and other hardware can be swapped out and doesn't affect the tone.

Steve wouldn't have a problem pulling off the gold hardware but I personally find it too pretty for my liking.

What's up with the new EVO pickups with chrome pots???
haha sorry i meant chrome POLES

you really hardly lose any money if you decide to switch H/W... just get a full cosmo black set from Rich , and then sell the gold set.. that's what most people do. as far as I can remember Hoshino USA charges almost 50 bucks more for gold EDGE compared to cosmo black
hanban is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 93
Re: Ibanez JEM 7v. What's holding you back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanban View Post
haha sorry i meant chrome POLES

you really hardly lose any money if you decide to switch H/W... just get a full cosmo black set from Rich , and then sell the gold set.. that's what most people do. as far as I can remember Hoshino USA charges almost 50 bucks more for gold EDGE compared to cosmo black
Yes. Rich is always at the back of my head. Does he respond to emails?

Last edited by Atomant; 09-09-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Atomant is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 11:50 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 778
Reviews: 3
Re: Ibanez JEM 7v. What's holding you back?

Just before you have typed your e-mail and pressed "send" you will have your reply on the inbox, but ask him only questions if you are serious about buying, he is not an everyone problem manager.
vy100 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 08:00 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 797
Re: Ibanez JEM 7v. What's holding you back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomant View Post
Yes. Rich is always at the back of my head. Does he respond to emails?
Always. Great guy to deal with.
PBGas is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,530
Re: Ibanez JEM 7v. What's holding you back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
Just before you have typed your e-mail and pressed "send" you will have your reply on the inbox, but ask him only questions if you are serious about buying, he is not an everyone problem manager.

Seems the rest of the world doesn't feel the same way
Rich is offline  
Reply

Tags
7v jem , gold , hardware

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ibanez jem 10th ann with no serial number on back of headstock?? slcjem Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 7 10-15-2014 06:41 AM
Details on pick holding JohnnyL Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 14 09-24-2012 12:05 PM
Chrome holding up? Ayrton Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 3 12-12-2006 03:44 AM
IBANEZ BACK STOP for JEM nicesky Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 4 02-28-2004 08:49 AM
What guitar is this that Vai is holding? rikkbeatty Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 2 05-28-2003 06:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome