Ibanez Jem bodies and swirl - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez Jem bodies and swirl

I know that we have a lot of Ibanez PsychoFans here, maybe someone will be able to help me.
1 ) Who is the best provider of ibanez Jem bodies? I heard about Sims etc...
2) who can make nice swirl?
Anyone knows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Ibanez Jem bodies and swirl

I don't know who would be the best person to contact with regards to a new body, but Europe has one of the premier swirlers around, al from "www.outofthisswirled.com". I've seen his work up close and it's pretty damn amazing, incredibly bold colours and real control over the flow of the paint.

There's amember on here too "jonnyboy mills" who's looking into swirling semi-professionally and I think he's gong to be the next big thing in swirls as he seems to have the swirling pattern done to perfection but needs to work on his colours.

Either of these guys might be able to help you out with a source for a non-official Jem body. I'd previsouly have recommended Jaden Rose but he's concentrating on his own line of guitars now which you might have seen in some of the guitar magazines recently. He might be able to help you out, but I don't know for sure.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:57 AM

Reviews: 11

the guys at outofthisswirled have a lot of learning to do. Those swirls are terrible in their gallery. They're too "liney" and not "swirly"..... they need to stop dragging the bodies across the water and lower it straight down.

Compare Steve Vai's swirl on the cover of PAW to these and you'll see what I mean. Maybe some of you think it's cool but they look like crud to me..... well maybe that's just me then, I dunno.

EDIT: They're not all like this, some are good, but all of the ones in the For Sale tab are utter shiite apart from the red and black one with the burst on the edge.... that's pretty sweet. And a lot in the gallery are not too flash either.

Last edited by Macka; 06-18-2010 at 12:48 PM.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
well maybe that's just me then, I dunno.
maybe it's just you then
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
maybe it's just you then
+1

There are a lot of people that think otherwise.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
the guys at outofthisswirled have a lot of learning to do. Those swirls are terrible in their gallery. They're too "liney" and not "swirly"..... they need to stop dragging the bodies across the water and lower it straight down.

Compare Steve Vai's swirl on the cover of PAW to these and you'll see what I mean. Maybe some of you think it's cool but they look like crud to me..... well maybe that's just me then, I dunno.

EDIT: They're not all like this, some are good, but all of the ones in the For Sale tab are utter shiite apart from the red and black one with the burst on the edge.... that's pretty sweet. And a lot in the gallery are not too flash either.
Completely greed.
Swirling is a technique,you doun't turn a technique into something you want,that'd be another technique.
Off course just like any technique it has variations but when a variation differs too much,it's a different technique.
When somebody says he's going to paint horizontal lines but paint vertical,you'd say he is wrong.
I'm not talking about personal tastes like if we like or not a swirl.
The matter is a swirl is a swirl,if you do it in a different way ,it isn't a swirl anymore.
Some people say there are some different types of swirl.
Wrong.
Swirl is a swirl,if someone did a different swirl,well it's not a swirl,it's a different technique.

I bend my strings with my ear so you should call it ear bend cause bend is other thing.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa View Post
+1

There are a lot of people that think otherwise.
Sorry but I think they look shiite too!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all your answers! it seems that it's not that easy to find a good swirler.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris"squid finger"daley View Post
Sorry but I think they look shiite too!
Liking swirls is subjective.

I still have too find the first MKR swirl i like.

I don't like half of Darren's swirls and like even less swirls from Herc Fede.

I've seen a few cool ones from Nate Perle.

I've seen great stuff from Alan from OOTS, but also some less impressive swirls.

Its hard to argue that the man has got the technique down. I've seen lot's of pictures from Al's work in the last couple of years.

If you are looking for a good swirler, he's the man.

Just tell him what kind of swirls you like. He can do them without any doubt.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:57 PM

I personally feel that Alan's swirls from OOTS are on a higher level than most other swirlers. It is always subjective but to call his work Shiite is ridiculous in my opinion.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:17 PM

On Alan's site he states that if u want a swirl more in the style of Darren he can do them. It's just his personal style to do them the way he does. I have seen 2 that were done like Darren and I thought they were great!
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:15 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
There's amember on here too "jonnyboy mills" who's looking into swirling semi-professionally and I think he's gong to be the next big thing in swirls as he seems to have the swirling pattern done to perfection but needs to work on his colours.
I thought my ears were burning :-) Im currently working on getting a web site up and running, I have purchased the web address rockingallovertheswirled.com and also paid for web hosting. Today I have purchased 2 RG 350's that Im going to swirl, one will be killer bee Bright yellow/ black and the other will be a GMC as I have a customer for a GMC swirl. Im on the look out for a jem body for my own swirl guitar I built a year ago as the body on this guitar at the moment is a nate perle one, the wood working is not great and the swirl is not my own, I think a PAW swirl will be in order for the new body.......when I get it. I will be using this guitar as an advert for my work in a guitar store in Manchester that I have been dealing with.

My temporary web site is http://rockingallovertheswirled.weebly.com

Last edited by jonnyboy mills; 06-19-2010 at 05:19 AM.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

your going to get lots n lots of different great swirlers mentioned here,if you asked 10 jemsite members who's the best swirler you will get 5-6 maybe 7 different answers.from what ive seen id say alan from out of this swirled,im also a big fan of herc fade.sorry if i missed anyone out but theres lots n lots of great swirlers out there.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

To my tastes some of the best swirls and colors choices !
I never saw in the same place so many swirls I like .

http://www.bnaguitars.com/Gallery.html
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
To my tastes some of the best swirls and colors choices !
I never saw in the same place so many swirls I like .

http://www.bnaguitars.com/Gallery.html
That's exactly what I'm talking about..... now these guys know how to do a swirl. Outofthisswirled could learn a thing or two from them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode