Ibanez Jem circa '91 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Jem circa '91

I bought my jem back in '91 (the guitar was made in '89) brand new from Guitar Center when i was a very young and naive 15 yrs old. When i bought the Jem, i received a hardshell case with it. After a few years i found out that the case that was given to me wasn't an actual "Ibanez Jem" case but a very substandard no name brand that eventually caused a crack to occur right behind the locking nut due to the insufficiant support the neck had when the case was closed (with the tilted headstock resting against the bottom of the case, the neck support was non excistant). Can anyone tell me if i was to in fact receive a Jem case with my guitar?? i know i paid for a $120 case at the time, but as i said i wasn't very knowledgeable. Anyone know where to get an actual Jem case??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 09:00 PM

The crack behind the nut is typical, so I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the case.

Anyway, AFAIK there were no "jem cases", but generic RG/S Ibanez cases (probably made by different manufacturers in different countries). I guess the DNA and other special editions could be called "Jem" cases tho.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 09:15 PM

Reviews: 5
Caprile is probably right about the crack. The crack behind the nut is typically due to overtightening the lockdowns, or just age.

Regarding cases, there's two that I'm aware of for standard Ibanez guitars.

You've got the M100C which is a very standard black molded guitar case.

Then, Ibanez Jems and other prestige models are also often sold in this UV1000C. These used to have a hot pink lining, and are now available with maroon.

Most dealers either explicitly sell the JEM with the case, or at least price them together. However, big chains like Guitar Center have been known to withhold cases (often because they lose them) and fail to notify the customer. This is just pure profit for the company.

So the answer is, you probably should have been offered a case and might have even paid for one. But having a cheaper case probably didn't cause the crack either. By the way, if you want a case, a good UV1000C is usually available on ebay or from a dealer. You'll pay between $150 and $180 for it.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 02:39 AM

the UV1000C is on sale for 100.00 in that ad and the M100C for 79.99... so thats not a bad deal at all...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 03:28 PM

Reviews: 1
I got my jem brand new (june 2004) stock and it was shipped in the box with a case. I opened it it isnt a ibz case its actuallt soft case looks simular inside to the uv1000 thou just grey interior. Any ideas why that happened?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Vendor

The dealer put the guitar in the case, there's the weak link.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 03:55 PM

your sure man it was sealed with the stock staples (couldnt find holes else where or do they recieve the boxes and guitars seperatly and then put it together at the retail?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 05:55 PM

It happens. Retailers that do any shipping are going to have all that packing tape and those heavy-duty staples as well.

BTW: What's stock staple?

Mike 777

Last edited by mike777; 01-12-2011 at 05:39 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Vendor

Ehh, Canada. Honestly I've got no idea what EFKAY is doing up there.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike777
BTW: What's stock staple?

Mike 777 Haug
Lol no such thing but I mean there were no primary holes so the box seemed to be unopened

Tags
ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , locking nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode