Ibanez Jem "EVO", Ibanez really bad at relics? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez Jem "EVO", Ibanez really bad at relics?

So basically Ibanez took a stock Jem7VWH (maybe a mm here and there difference between necks), charges upwards of 8000 usd.

1. What's the deal with adding a ton of scratches and dings to a PRISTINE white , angel glowing, Elvis looking body. why not age the body?

It is clear that a quick look at Vai's original EVO shows a worn out faded out yellowed finish, and when i pull out my visa to pay 8 grand on a relic, I expect the body to have the same color.

2. Pickups are brand new, totally white with GOLD poles. is it really that hard to age the plastic and throw in a set of EVO's with aged silver colored poles?

I can keep going with this (pickguard is way off etc.. )...but you get the point. Ibanez need to send some dudes over to the Fender factory to learn a thing or two about relicing.

meh

just my small rant.

Last edited by hanban; 09-19-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 AM

Re: Ibanez Jem "EVO", Ibanez really bad at relics?

I have also noticed this.
I think your right Fender does do a better job with relic techniques, just look at the Stevie Ray Vaughn replica. Although even that you can tell is fake aging.
I think the evo replicas are still cool and we just need to look at them as a tribute and enjoy the spirit behind it.
I don't think anyone is really trying to fake anybody out to believe it is real.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

the overall look is so lacking that any skilled Luthier can come up with far better results if he wanted to. this is just an example of the bodies, the left is the ibanez made EVO relic.. it just looks like a brand new guitar beat up with a wood chipper. I dont think its about faking anything to believe it's real, unless you are planning to do an Indiana Jones swap trick in Vai's house It's just the standard of work you would expect on an 8000 dollar Ibanez guitar.. I mean, top of the line Cruz master built aged strats go for that money

upload an image

Last edited by hanban; 09-19-2016 at 12:17 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM

Reviews: 10

I still don't get the relic guitar thing at all - why pay extra money for a guitar with a bunch of scratches and dings - doesn't make sense to me. Give me a new one unscratched please and I will give it my own character marks...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I still don't get the relic guitar thing at all - why pay extra money for a guitar with a bunch of scratches and dings - doesn't make sense to me. Give me a new one unscratched please and I will give it my own character marks...
I came in to say nearly the same thing, except give me a new one unscratched and I'll do my best to keep it that way.

Something as visually pleasing as a JEM should get scratched up, it should be respected and treated carefully, if you're using it on stage and it gets a scratch then that's one thing, but intentionally doing that to look cool? Just, no.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:37 PM

I understand why people like relics.
Guitars just look better when they are beat up.
My jem looks way better now that it has almost 16 years of heavy use on it and is all worn looking.
Its got dents, dings, scratches all over it and the paint is discolored were i sweat on it. It's had three fret jobs and the neck is worn in just the way I like it.
To each their own but for me beat to hell looks better.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:44 PM

I also used to give my guitars to my kids when they were little and have them play with them.
It's fun to look back at a chip or a ding and know that it came from my son.
I even gave my kids silver sharpies and had them go to town on my black bass guitar.
Sort of like satriani did with his black dog guitar. Now i have a peice of art work from my kids that I can use.
A buddy of mine thought i was nuts letting them do that to my ibanez bass but I enjoy it more now.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:38 PM

Aren't these guitars Sugi built? Those are pretty legendary builds.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:21 PM

I'm *pretty* sure these guitars aren't being bought based on the quality of the relic job, guys.

Tags
ibanez jem evo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode