Ibanez Jem Neck Pick-up orientation - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Ibanez Jem Neck Pick-up orientation

Wondering this for a long time, but never found a proper answer: was the neck pick up of the original Jems reversed (upside-down). This means that for the neck pickup, the coil that works when the 2nd possition of the selector is enganged, is the one that is near the fretboard and not the one that is closer to the middle pick up.

I have heard this from an old Jem collector and was mentioned by Glen in the old specs sheet that was in this site years ago, but never heard or read an official explanation from Ibanez and the actual catalogs show that the coil that actually works for the 2nd position is the inner one, near the middle pick up.

I do own several Jem models, but except for the 30th ann LG, all the others are second or third hand, thus could have been modified for the previous owners. The only one hhat came with the neck pick up reversed was my 90th ann and noticed that because it had the DiMarzio logo on it reversed towards the neck.

Moreover, the originall ‘87 trio had the three hole pick up and the position of the third hole should be mismatched between the bridge and the neck pick ups.

Any information about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:31 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Ibanez Jem Neck Pick-up orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
Wondering this for a long time, but never found a proper answer: was the neck pick up of the original Jems reversed (upside-down). This means that for the neck pickup, the coil that works when the 2nd possition of the selector is enganged, is the one that is near the fretboard and not the one that is closer to the middle pick up.
It never changed the "reversed" terminology comes from wanting the neck split coil closer to the middle PU (instead of being closer to the neck if it weren't "reversed" rotated), thus reversed means rotating the PU. i also always assumed the dimarzio plastic covers were rotated-180 to accommodate as much as possible. From my notes & a pic from the underside side...

Neck pickup is mounted in reverse - turned 180 degrees (from the bridge PU) so the north side pole is adjacent to the middle pickup slightly altering tone while cancelling hum.

Why the JEM p/u is reversed - the choice between inside or outside coil is important since the matching coil with the correct magnetic polarity is needed for hum cancellation in the neck+middle position. Polarity of the middle pickup is South up, so you want the adjacent North coil of the humbuckers when the coil is split. For DiMarzio Inc this is the inside coil with the neck pickup upside down.

Happy holidays!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H-S-HWiringJEM.jpg (80.2 KB, 20 views)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:43 PM

You need to look at where the cable exit is. If it away from the controls, the pickup is reversed. Keep in mind that on OEM pickups, the base plate and bobbin markings will usually look non-reversed even if the pickup is if Ibanez ordered them with the intention of installing them reversed. For example:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
It never changed the "reversed" terminology comes from wanting the neck split coil closer to the middle PU (instead of being closer to the neck if it weren't "reversed" rotated), thus reversed means rotating the PU. i also always assumed the dimarzio plastic covers were rotated-180 to accommodate as much as possible. From my notes & a pic from the underside side...

Neck pickup is mounted in reverse - turned 180 degrees (from the bridge PU) so the north side pole is adjacent to the middle pickup slightly altering tone while cancelling hum.

Why the JEM p/u is reversed - the choice between inside or outside coil is important since the matching coil with the correct magnetic polarity is needed for hum cancellation in the neck+middle position. Polarity of the middle pickup is South up, so you want the adjacent North coil of the humbuckers when the coil is split. For DiMarzio Inc this is the inside coil with the neck pickup upside down.

Happy holidays!
Wow thanks Glen, that diagram was what I wanted to see, because my 87 SK (unmarked three hole pickups) and my ‘91 vdy (V1 marked pick ups) are loaded exactly like the diagram and I was thinking that the bridge pick up was the one that was in fact reversed!

Finally, I think that once DiMarzio started to put the DiMarzio logo on the pick ups (evos and breeds) the correct orientation is with the logo down in the left corner just under the trble strings, isn’t it?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
You need to look at where the cable exit is. If it away from the controls, the pickup is reversed. Keep in mind that on OEM pickups, the base plate and bobbin markings will usually look non-reversed even if the pickup is if Ibanez ordered them with the intention of installing them reversed. For example:

Thanks! Great tip looking at the cables, because the inscriptions on the rear of the pick up were making me think the bridge pick up was reversed. What does OEM stands for?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:56 PM

Original Equipment Manufacturer

Tags
evolution , jem , paf pro , pick up , reversed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode