Ibanez Jem UK prices - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Angry Ibanez Jem UK prices

Has anyone else on here been stunned by the current Jem prices in the UK? Between 2008 and 2009 they rose from approx £1400 to just over £1900, and 6 months later are now a staggering £2200! No more new Jems for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Ibanez Jem UK prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
Has anyone else on here been stunned by the current Jem prices in the UK? Between 2008 and 2009 they rose from approx £1400 to just over £1900, and 6 months later are now a staggering £2200! No more new Jems for me.
You should blame Gordon Brown’s master economic recovery plan which bring down sterling value in favour of UK export products. There is record high inflation in all imported goods. What a genius! Its not only new JEM prices, I have been looking at second hard market in famous auction site and a decent one go with 1490£. Ouch!
Look at PRS prices too
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 AM

Reviews: 6

It's a joke,its almost impossible to afford now, a jem77 FP 2 is £2800!! Now I get why guys are making their own custom guitars!
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Yeah. Tricky.

Economic recovery or cheaper luxury guitars? Difficult choice for most of the population.

As the other guy suggested, have a custom job built in the uk. Good for the economy!

Photography kit has rocketed as well. Prices will come down when the exchange rate against the yen improves. It's not a strictly inflationary change in price.

My next will probably be a custom job.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
You should blame Gordon Brown’s master economic recovery plan which bring down sterling value in favour of UK export products. There is record high inflation in all imported goods. What a genius! Its not only new JEM prices, I have been looking at second hard market in famous auction site and a decent one go with 1490£. Ouch!
Look at PRS prices too
and it will only get worse with that conservitive IDIOT as pm.the price of jems has always been expensive here in uk.the 777's were £1700 in 1987,austrailia is also very expensive for jems.even if you buy from the states where its a lot cheaper the inport duty is high so you cant win
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 PM
NSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
the 777's were £1700 in 1987
Really? I cannot really remember if they were that expensive to be honest but that was a long time ago. I kinda remember that Sound Control had a 77PMC for around £2500 (with NJFC if iirc) and Windows had a 77GMC for around £3000 - or was it the other way around?? If you put it into perspective though, you could probably buy a lot more with £1700 back in 1987 than you can today. Granted, technology was cutting edge back then which you had to pay a premium for. I agree though that they're silly money at the moment and this new government had better get their act together with respect to our economy!
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

After the initial Sterling crash the prices of all imported goods from Japan or the US rose, (as you'd expect) however the UK £ has been pretty stable at its low value for a while now, so the fairly recent increase from £1900 to £2200 must have been a result of Ibanez price increases or UK dealers taking the pi55.

I remember new Jems being sold for just under £1000 back in 1990. (Couldnt afford one then!). A couple of the larger US based guirat stores are selling the Jem at £2,599.99, thjis equates to £1760 at todays rate. Pre-crash it would have been more like £1370 - so that almost accounts for the initial £500 price hike over here I guess. Dont know about the more recent hike.

Last edited by chris101; 05-13-2010 at 07:33 AM.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM

I'll take the opposite view here, gents.

My purchases with Amazon UK have skyrocketed over the last few months since I now see change from ZAR12 when buying a pound

..... and the postage is still miles cheaper than its US counterpart, as well as losing 18% VAT off the top before it even ships.

What does all this mean to me? Let's put it this way... I'm saving 2/3 of the retail price of CDs and DVDs, and I consume these in vast numbers.

If you want to be ripped off on consumer goods, I suggest you try SA. My last Jem cost me the equivalent of GBP 2K, and that was two years ago. The price of a top end PRS will cover a small car.

I believe Australia's much the same, although a lot of their other consumer items are pretty reasonable and they don't have proper beer at all
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR View Post
Really? I cannot really remember if they were that expensive to be honest but that was a long time ago. I kinda remember that Sound Control had a 77PMC for around £2500 (with NJFC if iirc) and Windows had a 77GMC for around £3000 - or was it the other way around?? If you put it into perspective though, you could probably buy a lot more with £1700 back in 1987 than you can today. Granted, technology was cutting edge back then which you had to pay a premium for. I agree though that they're silly money at the moment and this new government had better get their act together with respect to our economy!
can you remember a band in the north east called 6 of the best ???.well i saw these at a club in sunderland 1987-88.the lead guitarist had a gleaming 777dy,after the show i asked him how much he paid for it.he told me £1700,ive heard a few people say thats true £1700 new in 1987.i think sound control is shut now or is it sounds live that shut.guitar guitar is the best guitar shop in newcastle,very expensive but sell a lot of high end guitars.last time i was in there they had a 7vwh for 2 grand.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 06:02 PM
NSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
can you remember a band in the north east called 6 of the best ???.well i saw these at a club in sunderland 1987-88.the lead guitarist had a gleaming 777dy,after the show i asked him how much he paid for it.he told me £1700,ive heard a few people say thats true £1700 new in 1987.i think sound control is shut now or is it sounds live that shut.guitar guitar is the best guitar shop in newcastle,very expensive but sell a lot of high end guitars.last time i was in there they had a 7vwh for 2 grand.
I think I've heard of them, can't be certain though. That maybe true for what he paid for it as they were hard to get a hold of back then (no internet you see). I remember getting my first guitar in '86 - a second hand Kramer Pacer for £475 (£600 with interest as it was bought on tick) and was gutted when the endorsement came through and the 777 series was announced about 6 months later. I was pretty sure at the time that they were between £700 and £800 as I thought that if I'd waited then I coulda gotten one. Oh well.

It was Sound Control that closed down, SL is still going strong (how, I do not know). GG seem to be the only shop in town that supply JEMs at the moment and yes, they are too expensive.

Where abouts in Newcastle are you from? You seem a little hazy with your history...or are you really from red and white stripey land? Myself, I'm about 10 mins walk from where SC used to be.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 PM
NSR

It's only going to get worse...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10112936.stm
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR View Post
I think I've heard of them, can't be certain though. That maybe true for what he paid for it as they were hard to get a hold of back then (no internet you see). I remember getting my first guitar in '86 - a second hand Kramer Pacer for £475 (£600 with interest as it was bought on tick) and was gutted when the endorsement came through and the 777 series was announced about 6 months later. I was pretty sure at the time that they were between £700 and £800 as I thought that if I'd waited then I coulda gotten one. Oh well.

It was Sound Control that closed down, SL is still going strong (how, I do not know). GG seem to be the only shop in town that supply JEMs at the moment and yes, they are too expensive.

Where abouts in Newcastle are you from? You seem a little hazy with your history...or are you really from red and white stripey land? Myself, I'm about 10 mins walk from where SC used to be.
yes im origanly from sunderland but now live in north sheilds.not into all that sland ncastle hatered crap,thats just the die hard football fans.ive lived this side of the water for 10 years now,never had a bother.there was a 777sk in sound control back in the 90's for £600.the pink was faded and the fretboard was dirty,still well worth 600.i bought a 555 in sounds live for 700,a few weeks later i saw a 7vwh in a dingy crappy second hand guitar shop in sunderland for 700.the guy just wanted a quick sale,boy was i sick as a dog
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 AM

Pfft, you guys reckon you get it bad? The Australian RRP for a VWH is $6300, or £3870 according to XE. Even on special they're $4000 (£2500)
Just putting things into perspective
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 AM

Support the Economy and buy UK made. Our manufacturing industry needs you!

(Admittedly it's harder to do with Guitars than amps, I only ever buy Blackstar, Orange, Cornford, Marshall etc).

Get yourself a Jaden Rose or Martyn Booth - better quality guitars than Ibanez and made right here in Blighty!
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickbean View Post
(Admittedly it's harder to do with Guitars than amps,
Really? Going through Guitarist over the years, one would think the UK is ankle-deep in Patrick Eggle's creations....

It seems like there are plenty of one-offs to be had from the usual incredible British craftsmen, but a) at a price, and b) only when they get round to doing them.

Tags
uk prices

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode