Ibanez JEM555? Is it worth it? - buying a JEM55, and need fe - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez JEM555? Is it worth it? - buying a JEM55, and need fe

So i'm very seriously considering buying an Ibanez JEM555bk (black), but i've heard some bad things about them. Alot of guitar players complain about the vine-of-life stopping at the 12th fret, but that's not a concern of mine. What concerns me is that the Lo-TRS tremolo sucks. I have an ibanez RG320, and i agree. The Lo-TRS does suck. But i was considering buying a Lo-Pro Edge tremolo system if i do end up getting the JEM555 and replacing the Lo-TRS with the Edge. Is it worth it? Would puting a Lo-Pro Edge on the JEM555 be a good idea? I really like the JEM7vwh, but the white is just a little too showy for me. Does it come in a black like the JEM555? Please, give me some advice. Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 06:35 PM

Ibanez JEM555? Is it worth it?

I assume this will soon get moved to a different area by the moderators, but if you want a black JEM with an Edge trem and all the other basic features of the 555, I recommend (very highly, in fact, I love mine) the JEM7DBK....period. *If you want black with a vine (which it doesn't sound like you are too worried about that) I would go with an older used JEM777VBK.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 06:59 PM

This subject has been covered pretty exhaustively already.

http://jemsiteforum.com/board/topic....um=17&topic=31

The bottom line is that only you can determine what's the best guitar for yourself. But the general consensus is that the JEM 555 is poor value for the money, and adding a Lo-Pro Edge and Evolutions doesn't shift that equation very much in your favour... you're better off getting a used JEM or Edge-equipped RG and doing fewer upgrades.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 08:44 PM

By the time you pay for a 555 and an Lo-pro, have the body modded slightly to accept the lo-pro, and refinish the area, you will have spent as much as a real Jem anyway. *There are always JEM777VBK's popping up, as well as JEM7DBK's. *They are a much better deal. *Though if you love the Jem neck, you should know that the DBK does not have a JEM profile, it is much thinner. *The 555 does come with the Evolution pickups which are a bonus, but not enough of one to make me want it. *Plus, I really do think the short vine looks bad. *The other problem with the 555's, is Korean quality control sux. *If you are ordering one, you may get a good one, you might get a POS. *You have to play in the store and buy the one you play if it is good. *At any rate, I would suggest looking for an older Jem already with an edge, or even the DBK (personally I'm not a fan). *Good luck! and welcome to the forum!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 02:49 PM

littlegreenman -
Quote:
Though if you love the Jem neck, you should know that the DBK does not have a JEM profile, it is much thinner.
I dont know about much thinner. *The newer jem neck on the 7VWH is only 2mm more thick at the first fret and is somewhat related to the Wizard II profile. *The DBK sports a Wizard profile neck, and is slightly thinner.

John John, having heard what you want and need, id also recommend the 7DBK *:-) *Love mine. *If you want hotter, more aggressive screaming pickups though......swap out the Breed for an Evolution. *(better yet an EMG 81)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 03:24 PM

Buy a used black RG5xx. Plain & simple.
There are tons of them on ebay, check'em out.

nuno
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 05:30 AM

Re: Ibanez JEM555? Is it worth it? - buying a JEM55, and need fe

If it plays good and sounds good.
Get for a good price.
Up to you to buy it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 05:25 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemeo View Post
If it plays good and sounds good.
Get for a good price.
Up to you to buy it.
Yes, I'm sure after almost twelve years, the OP is still languishing in the decision making process.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 PM

1)bump 12 year old thread
2)give same advice that is always given in a "should I buy___" thread
3)???
4)profit
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:16 AM

haha! agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
Yes, I'm sure after almost twelve years, the OP is still languishing in the decision making process.

Tags
edge trem , edge tremolo system , evolution pickups , guitar players , ibanez jem , jem neck , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode