Ibanez JEM7V-wh identification without serial number - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hoseki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez JEM7V-wh identification without serial number

Hello dear JEM community,

it happened this way that some years ago I purchased a used Ibanez JEM7V-wh, then I kinda lost contact with the guitar and music in general and now I am back on it!
I have the following problem and I would appreciate if someone could help me out; my JEM has a slightly erased serial number on the headstock, where only the last digit can be seen. It should have been produced somewhere between 2000 and 2009, but I cannot be sure.

To prevent any side discussion;
1. the guitar is original, I got this confirmed by a professional and even without that, it sounds like an original. I am not super advanced, but I can tell if a 2,5k guitar is genuine or a crappy replica.
2. the guitar was not stolen or anything, it's just in my country (Southeastern Europe, let's not call names here ) there was this idiotic/criminal thing that shop owners used to import Ibanez instruments from other European countries, even though there was an exclusive distribution agreement with a specific shop. The result? Some bright shop owners used to scratch off/erase a part of the serial number, so that the instruments could not be identified and thus cause them any problems for importing.

Long story short, the JEM has no full serial number on the headstock. And my question; is there any other place where I could find any information engraved in the instrument? Inside the body or where the neck and body meet? If not, would I be able to track the instrument anyhow through the officlal Ibanez side without getting in trouble?

Thanks in advance, guys!
Cheers,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 10:00 PM

Re: Ibanez JEM7V-wh identification without serial number

I guess you could narrow it down within a few years by what trem/neck it has, also if it has an ebony fretboard or not. Rich might be more privy to some smaller details. Do you have pictures?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Hello again,

I have a limited number of photos, as the guitar is at my parents' house right now and I am trapped away because of the whole covid-19 story.
Anyway, I hope they can help! Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks again and stay safe.
Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03643-min.JPG (304.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03641-min.JPG (532.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03647-min.JPG (590.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03645-min.JPG (592.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03644-min.JPG (505.7 KB, 50 views)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

From the photos it appears to be a 2005 to 2009 model (Edge Pro trem, 5 piece neck construction and what looks like a lovely rosewood board )

There should be a model number designation stamp on the neck heel and the neck pocket if you disassemble the guitar, but it won't have the actual serial number anywhere else other than the back of the headstock.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 06:05 AM

According the Ibanez wiki it would have to be made from 05-09, as it's got the edge pro and 5pc neck.

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/JEM7V

I feel like i can almost see an 8 on the back of the headstock that could be the third digit, as the first 2 would be F0. This would make it a 2008 model. So hard to tell though, i can't call it.

EDIT: beat me to it jono!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrgx420s View Post
I have a limited number of photos...

jono likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Wow guys, thanks for the quick replies! I appreciate your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
There should be a model number designation stamp on the neck heel and the neck pocket if you disassemble the guitar, but it won't have the actual serial number anywhere else other than the back of the headstock.
So with the model number I can only find out exactly which model it is (which year), but the serial number is gone for good, right? No chance of restoring the information through Ibanez or anything? Do not really know how extensive their databases are.
Do you think it is worth disassembling the guitar? Keep in mind I am really not experienced with guitars in a technical level apart from electronics.

In any case, thanks a lot, guys! I am not really planning to sell a guitar like this but I got curious about some more details of it and without the serial number you cannot really do much...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrgx420s View Post
Wow guys, thanks for the quick replies! I appreciate your help!

So with the model number I can only find out exactly which model it is (which year), but the serial number is gone for good, right? No chance of restoring the information through Ibanez or anything? Do not really know how extensive their databases are.
Do you think it is worth disassembling the guitar? Keep in mind I am really not experienced with guitars in a technical level apart from electronics.

In any case, thanks a lot, guys! I am not really planning to sell a guitar like this but I got curious about some more details of it and without the serial number you cannot really do much...

I don't think you can even track the year from the info on the guitar without the serial number. it'll probably just say "JEM-7V" if we open it up. I personally wouldn't bother.

I literally can't think of any way that Ibanez, or the distributors can tell you more that we've pieced together already, but if you're not selling it, there's no worries
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 08:57 AM
Vendor

There is an "edition" number on the body, I've never kept track but when they make a change, say LO to EP, it would go from 2 to 3, or whatever the actual numbers are. but without a database [there isn't] and even that would only narrow it down to about the same range as Leviathus posted.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

OK guys, thank you so much for your information and your help!

Cheers,
Nick

Tags
ibanez , jem , serial number

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode