Ibanez JS100 or Fender ModernPlayer Strat HSS - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez JS100 or Fender ModernPlayer Strat HSS

Guys, what should I buy - new Modern player hss Olympic white strat (Made in China) or Ibanez JS100 made in indonesia (used).

Ibanez js100 was my favourite guitar because of the neck profile (9.5), and now I see modern player has similar neck - 9.5 , and I also get humbucker in bridge, and strat sound I also like in neck and middle.... And olympic white color with black pickguard reminds me of some kind "iron Maiden type of strat - similar like Jacson", and reminds me also of a strat of Norum from Europe band (I plan in near future to buy white perloid pickguard with Dimarzio Hs3 pick ups to change it, and get "Norum Final countdown stratocaster, If I decide to go with strat :P ) .

And I don't know what to buy, I love both guitars soooo much, but I don't have money for both....

HELP. Any advice is appreciated cause I have headaches what should I do....

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 11:29 PM

Re: Ibanez JS100 or Fender ModernPlayer Strat HSS

JS100 all the way. I'm just very Anti-Fender and I believe that if you want a good solid strat, buy a Fujigen. Every FGN Neo Classic strat I've played has made Fenders look bad.

The JS100 is a solid axe that will, more than likely, be better quality than the Fender.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 03:39 AM

Reviews: 120

It's a bit silly to say that the JS 100 will be a better guitar. For starters there have been a multitude of bridges on the 100, most complete rubbish. The pickups aren't anything special either.

You would want to definitely identify the year and bridge type on the JS. This will be a big factor. Also, if you aren't s heavy whammy bar user the strat would be more solid if the JS is equipped with a rubbish LO-TRS II, Edge Pro II or Edge III. You would most likely want to replace the bridge if you plan on really using the bar.
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
It's a bit silly to say that the JS 100 will be a better guitar. For starters there have been a multitude of bridges on the 100, most complete rubbish. The pickups aren't anything special either.

You would want to definitely identify the year and bridge type on the JS. This will be a big factor. Also, if you aren't s heavy whammy bar user the strat would be more solid if the JS is equipped with a rubbish LO-TRS II, Edge Pro II or Edge III. You would most likely want to replace the bridge if you plan on really using the bar.
I really agree about the Strat for whammy use. The vintage syncronised trems are very limited in movement, and just about any JS would be the better chiose for this sole purpose.

Edit:
Source for my claim: Having tested 3 different synced trems for my Am.Special:

Last edited by Pirataz; 12-25-2014 at 02:25 PM.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Guys, thanks for the answers, but please consider new things I will write about me, and then again try to answer:

1) I am not young too much, and I am not a beginner in guitar playing, just cause I am looking for JS100 or Modern Player made in China - it's nothing to do with my playing ability, it's because I don't have money for something better than this (aka JS1200 Vs. white strat USA with hs3 pickups). So don't imagine me like some kid who don't know anything about those 2 guitars.....In matter of fact, I know all about them, every aspect, but I just can't make a decision all by myself which one I should buy, and here I am - asking you guys, I don't, maybe you will say something which will affect my decisions, so I could decide more easier which one I would pick.....

2) I know what is floating tremolo, and all about them....I had rg550 and sell it. Just too big neck for my hands (I prefer 9.5 which have js100 and Strat Modern player). So don't judge those guitar by tremolo criteria - its not too much important to me....Ok, yeah, I like to play Satriani and Van Halen somethimes, but I could play that without floating tremolo, no big problem to me. For me, tremolo is not worry...Its all the same....I worry about color neck profile and sound much more, and quality of the guitar, woods, parts etc.... So, I found Olimpic white modern player, I found black JS100 - color satisfied! Both guitars have tiny necks for smaller hands and i like them both - 9.5 - checked! So its 50-50, which one to pick.... I repeat, tremolo is not gonna be some factor for deciding....Don't concentrate on that....

3) Floating tremolo on JS100 is Edge III. Guitar is from Indonesia, not Korea. I know, I know, its a bad tremolo. Owner of that guitar tell me tremolo "It will be set up" but after that it should be fiiine. Well, honestly, I don't believe in that story 100%. I know most users of JS100 have problems with Edge III tremolo. He also said something - "Dude, you can always buy new quality floyd rose and put it in JS100 if the tremolo is all your worries about this guitar".....But my biggest problem is - I lost my job, I don't have money, and I live in **** country and everything is expensive. For example, new guitars are more expensive than in USA and England, west Europe, and used ones are more expensive than on your used marker, and our salaries are 5-10 times smaller then yours Well, imagine my situation, and why I running this thread LOL. If I buy something and after few days don't like it, I must wait 3-5 years to have money to buy something else.

4) I am Ok guitarist, I know about guitars, but right now I have money just to buy this.... If tremolo on JS100 is like on JS1200, maybe I would decide to go with JS100, but Fender don't have floating tremolo si - less problems with tunings and pitch changing.....And I will finally own famouse FENDER brand (I know its China made, but you finally could look that word - Fender on neck, its not dream anymore, its reality ;D )

5) Thats it, please rewrite your comments after this update... I know this is Ibanez fan site, but don't propose Ibanez just because this is Ibanez site.... I also expect the same on strats forums with the same thread

So, tremolo is not important and not needed for playing, but its crucial for stability thing - I don't want to have JS100 and not playing dive bomb often, but suffer all the time cause I can't tune my guitar, or if I touch it - pitch goes half step down or up (I heard that before on my friends guitar with Edge III, I herad that even on Edge Lo pro ).

6) Another thing - If I find 50 euros more, the owner of JS100 will sell me JS100 with dimarzio tone zone in the bridge..... Thats just 3rd option to buy (js100 stock, js100 with tone zone, Fender modern player).

I know, I know everybody will say - find that 50euros and go with the JS100 and tone zone before Modern player strat, but its not easy, tone zone pick up is in zebra (white-black) color, and thats not nice for my taste on a black body of js100, and neck pick up will be stock JS100 Also its some kind of "blasphemy" for me to have any dimarzio on JS100 instead of Fred in bridge I dont know, maybe I am wrong.....What are you thinking guys? Maybe tone zone on JS100 are good combinations? I know I will not have Satriani exact tone even if I have JS100+ fred pick up. I you tube it, and people don't have that Satriani tone.... But at the and I don't care too much. I am not pursuing Satriani tone, I just like look of JS, I like Ibanez and I need that 9.5 little JS neck. But there is also that FENDER branding guitar with white body which reminds me of John Norum white strat from Final countdown tour.....(just need later to change pickguard from black to white)....

Oh, what I should I do....
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:31 PM

On an Ibanez board, most people will tell you to the the JS model. However, have you taken the time to try both of them and see which one you like, not what someone is telling you to get? Do that first because your fingers won't lie to you what you like. I don't mind the 9.5" radius but I'm more comfortable with something like a 12" radius.

I've had somewhat of an epiphany as of late and will be moving a couple of my prized Ibby's as well as both of my EBMM axes as something else has come my way that I totally love both playability wise, looks and just overall a beautiful instrument for what I like. Its more expensive but in the long run, I'm also scaling down my setup to just a couple of guitars and will keep some cash in pocket when all is said and done.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 08:08 PM

To the OP:

If money is an issue, I wouldn't even buy a guitar until I was financially stable enough to afford it. I tried that "I have no money but I'm going to buy a guitar anyway" and while I got my RG2550, it was hard to justify it. I love that guitar but I should have waited until I was more stable financially to even get one.

Do you have other guitars you can play? I'd rather play those than put my livelihood in jeopardy over a guitar.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Guys guys, please without that "you should earn more money and buy better guitar", or "if money is the thing - don't buy anything, and buy when you.....".

I can't handle more waiting...Especially cause I don't have job....And situation is bad, I am not gonna find it soon.... So please, just concentrate on those 2 guitar, one will go for me, there are no hints above this....Js100 or Strat MP.

You don't understand... If I wait "to earn more money" I will spent all this money for nothing and life little things..... And at the end I will be in the same situation, minus guitar. !

I tried earlier JS100 guitars, I know neck feel, body look, everything is ok.... And I will try soon this JS100 from the owner who is selling it.

I didnt try Fender MP cause its not possible, I have to spent money to travel a lot, just to try it. But, I know the feel of that guitar, cause it has almost the same neck specification as Squier Classic Vibe which I had ( I think the same Chinese factory produces Fender Modern Player HSS and Squier classic Vibe series). And I am honest, I don't expect some crazy USA custom shop Strat Monster from Fender Modern Player HSS Crafted in China, I just like color very much, neck profile, humbucker in bridge (you can even coil-split it), I heard it on YT, and all reviews are phenomenal.

Just take decision, and I just want workhorse for home jamming for my soul, and I don't need nothing better than those 2 guitars....for now....
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Also, important factor is guitar built - Indonesia JS Vs Crafted in China Fender.....
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 09:42 PM

I have played both types many times and have gone back and forth between shredder and all around/all style guitar.

Obviously the Ibanez has the JS signature factor and you are asking a website of mostly shredder type players so JS will win hands down. It's perhaps one of the great Ibanez designs. (lightweight, great standing up and sitting down, great midrange ability on stock pickups, amazing ergonomic contours, double locking trem).

But a Fender modern player strat has parts that are tried and tested well for just about every style, except for dive bomb playing which will put it out of tune. But other than that I think just about any strat (MIC modern player, MIM standard strat, USA strats) are all very solid, super versatile instruments. Only the most over the top players who love Fender (and I love Fender) need a Floyd Rose tremolo. But most people who like strats for what they are can get by quite nicely with modern player strat with added comfort of humbucker in bridge. If you are such an over the top player and need the Floyd, then by all means get the JS.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-26-2014 at 09:47 PM.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 09:00 AM

If you can`t decide which one to buy, just flip a coin and if you don`t like the outcome, chose the other one
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 02:47 PM

Also if you come into more funds later, it's much easier to mod out the Fender piece by piece without ridiculous mods. Floyds were the go to locking trem as direct replacements for regular Fender syncronized trems and you can put stuff like JB jrs. or hot rails in the middle and neck to beef up tone. Of course you can also put in a hotter full sized humbucker in the treble position like a Black Winter or full sized JB. You can easily put in a push pull pot to tone down the full sized JB into just one coil and get more of a traditional strat like tone as well as doing push pull for mini humubcker/single coil sized hot rails or JB jr. humbuckers so this way you have the traditional as well as the hot-rodded tones in one guitar.

With the Ibanez JS, you pretty much have a superstrat and it's hard to vintage-ize it to old school strat specs. That being said I did take a guitar designed for hard rock in my ESP Viper, and gave it more of an old school vibe. I had a pair or moderately hot passive EMGs in an ESP Viper (ceramic, overwound) and I put in the push pull to bring out single coil tones with a little less volume and it gives me good Fender tones. I put in a Bigsby to get cool rockabilly trem work yet added locking machine keys so I could be more aggressive for more modern hard rock tones without going too far out of tune. Of course Bigsbys with locking machine heads is still no match for Floyds, Kahlers, and Edge trems so one has to be mindful of that. I am going to bring it back to more of an old school tone in put in something like regular output alnico magnet P-90s or humbucker sized single coils. For the boost I will rely on a good distortion pedal and go that path with horsepower outside the guitar.

I am probably the only vote here for the old school Fender but if all else fails, you can very easily resell it or use it for other styles. Many a hard rock/metal player have a traditional 50s/60s type strat for a break from the full octane world of Jacksons/ESPs/RGs.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-27-2014 at 02:58 PM.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 03:17 PM

A third option, slightly more expensive at $499 vs. the $399 of a Chinese built modern player strat or $400+ of a used JS100 is to get a made in Mexico Fender Standard HSS Stratocaster.

http://www.mydukkan.com/media/Fender...Maple20046.jpg

The MIM Standard has much better tuners and slightly larger frets more akin to most Ibanez frets and not so much like the often too small vintage frets of most old school Fenders.

The Standard's weight, finishes, pickguard, and cutaway pretty much have the traditional Fender peculiarities, but add the larger frets and faster satin finished back of neck for easier fast lead guitar playing. The trem is basically the same in that it has too many issues of staying in tune due to no fine tuners on trem but you are helped quite a bit by the better tuners up at the headstock. You will find a little more output in the Standard and more midrange. And Olympic White is a finish that the Standard has always come in as well as every year on the more expensive American Standards (made in USA, even bigger frets, and hotter pickups than MIM Standard). To make a stock MIM Standard stay better in tune, you can get a Wilkinson (or similar) roller nut and that will solve quite a few tuning issues.

You can always buy a black pickguard, too.

Now imagine if Fender made the HSS strat stock with Floyd (Fender MIC owns Floyd Rose) and 24 frets and slightly deeper cutaways. Something like this only exists right now as far as I know in their custom shop but a full run MIM version would be the bomb and even hard core Ibanez and Jackson fans would consider this guitar.

http://www.rc51.org/data2racing/hm.htm

The blue one (dubbed HM Strat) was once a stock Fender Stratocaster available to hard rock/metal crowd but no longer exists in a widespread manner. The deeper cutaway, back bevels on horns, and cutaway at neck joint (similar in way to AANJ) make this a much better shredder than the regular strat.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-27-2014 at 03:33 PM.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for all answers, but honestly - you didn't read my writings, didn't you?

Check again - Floyd rose is not important factor for me, also black mask - the truth is I will earn later extra money to replace it white white ones to remind me of John Norum white strat from Final Countdown era.

I can't buy any mexican white strat, cause I just can't stand anything than Fender spagheti logo. I don't like different logo than Spagethi.....It could be the best guitar in the world, but I just can't stand it.

Also, I am not looking for some kind of "strat vintage tone", so don't concentrate on that also. I just want something Fender got - Modern sound - humbacker in the bridge (and it can be split in half), 9.5 neck, etc.....
So don't think JS100 lack something cause Fender could have "humbacker sound, but JS100 can't be Fender vintage" because I am not looking for vintage Fender single coil in the bridge sound because of that factor.

Try now again with answer.

I have no problem even to play heavy metal on a Tele with single coils.....I play on Boss gt10 and its not problem. Soooo both guitars (js100 Fender MP) are the same from that aspect, I just don't know which one to buy cause I like both. And I am writing here so I could eventually read some bad things if both guitars have, so I could know and not to buy it.

Last edited by DareIbanez; 12-27-2014 at 04:20 PM.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc777 View Post
If you can`t decide which one to buy, just flip a coin and if you don`t like the outcome, chose the other one
Haha, funny and easy solution but that don't work for me. Cause whatever I had on a coin, I will feel bad, and try again and - infinity

I just can't rely on coin and probability or luck or % or math, I must decide, and thats the hard part Cause I can't ;D

Coin will not solve things, coin will just make more chaos cause I will thing - But what if coin sad - JS100, what would be like? Then conlude - Aha you are thinnikg on JS100 more - so you need to buy JS100. And then buy JS100 and go home and think - Hm if coin didn't exist, I woundn't pick up JS100, so I should bought Fender MP - and thats something like "time travel temporal paradox" like in SF movies like Terminator LOL .

I am afraid this is guitar paradox, and the only solution is to bou both of them and play it until I start to hate one (or both) for some reason, and eventually can't stand it anymore and sell it and than 100% say - Ok I finally know what is winner "

But thats something I cant do....I can't buy both of them...neither I can time travel LOOOL.

Thanks for bright view of my miserable torturing myself about guitars LOL. Like I am autistic or have OCD with music equipment things haha.

Tags
ibanez js100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode