Ibanez JS1CR - Did Ibanez get it right ?? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 02:31 PM
Vendor

Re: Ibanez JS1CR - Did Ibanez get it right ??

My guess is saving a buck, the previous screw on were better and those sucked too. Except the PLT, not much else you could do there.

Should be painted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 11:22 PM

I got my JS1CR last week and been trying to use it more and more to see how I feel about it, the reflective film on the head stock really bothers me, It's even lifted from one of the corners like missing glue or something. The body has a little bubble just under de neck pick up in the middle of the guitar and another buble in the side of the guitar. These bubbles are noticeable all the time not just when the light hits it. It also has like 2 places where I can see the paint distort close to the knobs, there are no bubbles that you can see easily like the other ones, but you notice it when the light reflects on it. All in all the bubbles and the reflective film in the head stock seem to me like very bad QA/design for a 5k guitar. I expected paint distorting, but the bubbles that you can even feel thru the finish is something else.

Is this what all of them are like?
Can I expect the film in the head stock to come off eventually from just hanging the guitar in the wall?
Am I nitpicking too much?

Pic of the bubble and head stock here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...gA?usp=sharing
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 01:42 AM
Vendor

The headstock is not a film. I think it's just stuck on with double sided tape on the treble side and the tuners on the base. They are what they are.

I've never seen any bubbles and your picture didn't help. Fog spots, pimples, hazed areas, to damage from rough treatment can all be expected. Last batch had no hazy areas, I believe they may have changed paint shops. All had pimples, I've never seen one that didn't.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The headstock is not a film. I think it's just stuck on with double sided tape on the treble side and the tuners on the base. They are what they are.

I've never seen any bubbles and your picture didn't help. Fog spots, pimples, hazed areas, to damage from rough treatment can all be expected. Last batch had no hazy areas, I believe they may have changed paint shops. All had pimples, I've never seen one that didn't.

I guess I am calling bubble to the pimple. If all of them have this, then I guess I am just nitpicking too much. The head stock plate thing with tape it's worrisome but like you say it is what it is.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 05:38 PM
Vendor

If the bubble is a pimple, which are very small, under 1mm, and if you only have 2 then you have one of the cleanest bodies on a CR.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 08:07 PM

If this is just a simulchrome, is it feasible to get it 'perfect'? Does simulchrome done on cars for example, have an option for a do-over? Or is it simply strip it back, re-spray and fingers crossed?
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 04:02 AM
Vendor

IMO a proficient paint shop using the correct process should give perfect results every time. There wouldn't be any haze problems. Of course the body they spray has to be perfect and I've rejected a couple for flawed bodies before they were sprayed. Then add the protection film, that's where you're getting the pimples. If they just sprayed it with regular clearcoat they could wetsand and polish like any other JS, but they can't do anything but spray the film and how it dries is what you get. And of course between the time the paint is sprayed and the film is sprayed, if moving, shipping, handling, etc, has caused plenty of flaws in the chrome, scratches thru the chrome, scrapes off a side, edge of the neck pocket. If 1 shop was responsible for the complete job of turning a perfect body into a CR they were doing a crappy job. This last batch seemed different, either they got better or somebody else took over, or it was just chance.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If the bubble is a pimple, which are very small, under 1mm, and if you only have 2 then you have one of the cleanest bodies on a CR.

That is reassuring, I am enjoying it. I think I am keeping it and use it all the time until it falls apart. I guess if the mirrored plate gets destroyed I can just have it painted down the line. We will see. Thanks for sharing your knowledge Rich!

Tags
ibanez js

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode