Ibanez JS1CR - Did Ibanez get it right ?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez JS1CR - Did Ibanez get it right ??

I'm interested to know people's thoughts on the chrome boy reissue ....

Did Ibanez get it right? I mean, how can this be a 30th anniversary reissue model if it's just a chrome version of the current JS24

Now that Ibanez finally got the chrome coating correct and stable over an alder body, it should have been reissued as the classic and iconic 22 fret chrome boy !!

Personally I think it's a complete disappointment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Ibanez JS1CR - Did Ibanez get it right ??

Since Satriani made the switch to 24 fret guitars and seems to play them live almost exclusively, to me the 30th anniversary guitar makes 100% sense. It's his current guitar in his all time classic finish.

I still massively prefer the 22 fret guitar in terms of looks, and I'm not a sustainer guy, and that, coupled with the high price has cost them my sale. But yeah, in my mind, the 30th guitar is what I would have gone for as an anniversary model and what I would have expected Ibanez to go for.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 06:47 PM

Even though I fully prefer 22 fret JS guitars I agree, they finally have a new chroming process and they made his new live guitar in chrome. This is the only Alder JS with Sustainer so it is actually fully new to production JS guitars and the plan was always to transition from the JS1CR30 to the production JS1CR so I believe it makes sense.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 07:08 PM
Vendor

The simple answer, 22 or 24 fret aside, no, they don't have it right. They're finally doing it the way I've been pleading for many years, but whoever they contracted with was probably just the low bid. There are too many issues with the paint process, too many hazy spots, etc.

You can simul-chrome a whole car and have it come out perfect but they can't get a small body right. Just as with all the chrome attempts before.

3 in house operations to get the JS2 into feasible production, all failed.

3 different chromers were used to do the JS10ths because of quality issues.

2 different companies for the JS2PRM, and the last Mizumo did a wonderful job, but using a fragile process that can't stand up to play wear.

To the current 30th/1CR, I imagine if they're paying close enough attention, I would have already changed to another paint company to do the simul-chrome process and get rid of all the haze issues. And you have some delamination issues between the paint and the self healing protective clear layer. There will always be pimples or sink lines or many of the other issues, but the company they're using just isn't cutting it. And/or the treatment after the fact back at the factory is not careful enough to not create more problems. The best thing about them is they won't show scratching like any previous version because you can hear the PPF layer.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite22 View Post
I'm interested to know people's thoughts on the chrome boy reissue ....

Did Ibanez get it right? I mean, how can this be a 30th anniversary reissue model if it's just a chrome version of the current JS24
It's not a reissue. Its a commemorative, just like the 20th was.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The simple answer, 22 or 24 fret aside, no, they don't have it right. They're finally doing it the way I've been pleading for many years, but whoever they contracted with was probably just the low bid. There are too many issues with the paint process, too many hazy spots, etc.
I take it you wouldnt/havent got one? I've been on the fence, main thing putting me off was the price - when all is said and done its a paint job. I dont know enough about simulchrome to know if the price is remotely justified (ie. the level of detail required in the prep to get a mirror rather than granular finish). Some pics I see, it looks like a mirror, others it looks like spraypaint.... and in Aus, nobody has one to look at so I'd be buying it unseen.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 11:31 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper Kowalski View Post
I take it you wouldnt/havent got one? I've been on the fence, main thing putting me off was the price - when all is said and done its a paint job. I dont know enough about simulchrome to know if the price is remotely justified (ie. the level of detail required in the prep to get a mirror rather than granular finish). Some pics I see, it looks like a mirror, others it looks like spraypaint.... and in Aus, nobody has one to look at so I'd be buying it unseen.
I've had 15 so far, many returned, have 2 sold still waiting for good ones to come in but nothing is moving anywhere now and chromes come in a trickle anyway.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've had 15 so far, many returned, have 2 sold still waiting for good ones to come in but nothing is moving anywhere now and chromes come in a trickle anyway.
this is what I was afraid of. will this be one for the collectors only? with such a high return rate, makes me wonder if Ibanez will throw in the towel on these after this year anyway.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 11:48 PM
Vendor

Everybody wants them setup, they're players. I have no idea what the return rate for them is, I just know what I reject. Seeing some bad necks on good bodies too.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Derringers has one..

https://derringers.com.au/ibanez-js1...l-in-hard-case
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
But I'm in Sydney, and I suspect a visit wouldnt count as essential travel But the price....
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
But I'm in Sydney, and I suspect a visit wouldnt count as essential travel But the price....
Sorry man, I thought you were in SA.

I bet you could get it for a lot less than its listed. I just dont see a big demand for that these days.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Sorry man, I thought you were in SA.
I used to be, back when Ibanez Guitar Centre was still a thing. Thanks for the heads up BTW, the JS1CR30 will be on its way to me tomorrow I didnt get it for quite the price I asked, but near enough, and a lot less than our current exchange rate would buy from OS.
jono and Dutchie like this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I used to be, back when Ibanez Guitar Centre was still a thing. Thanks for the heads up BTW, the JS1CR30 will be on its way to me tomorrow I didnt get it for quite the price I asked, but near enough, and a lot less than our current exchange rate would buy from OS.
Oh wow, you bought it... Congrats. That's awesome...

Maybe I should of waited until next week to tell you about it... I didnt get a chance to see it in person.. Damn it..

Again congrats... I'm glad I got a chance to help you out.
Kasper Kowalski likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 10:16 AM

One thing that puzzles me though ... if they can paint chrome onto a body, why not the headstock? Why the mirrored plate? It seems like laziness. Is there a technical reason?

Tags
ibanez js

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode