Ibanez JS24P? Worth it or save my money? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez JS24P? Worth it or save my money?

I know there is a 4 page thread (older thread) about the JS24P.
I am thinking about a backup guitar for my JS1000. My band finally found a new drummer and we are about to start gigging again!

I love my JS1000, and would like for my backup guitar to be as similar as possible.
I do not like the JS100. I've had a few, the tremolos are extremely sub-standard to me when compared to the original Edge or the Lo-Pro Edge on my 1000.

I don't have the cash to buy another guitar right now, but I do use American Musical's payment plan a lot. They only offer the 100, 1200, and 24P.

Does anyone here have a JS24P and a JS1000?
How do the necks compare?
How does the tone compare?
Are there any issues with the fretwork, neck, workmanship in general?
Should I just save my money and get a 1200? I do really like the price of the 24P.
Is the Edge tremolo on the 24P made in Japan or Indonesia?
Are the DiMarzio pickups made in America or Indonesia?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 12:21 AM

Re: Ibanez JS24P? Worth it or save my money?

I think its worth it unless you dont mind buying used. If you dont mind used you could pick up a js1000 for the same price. I on the other hand dont like used guitars unless its from someone I know personally, you dont know what its been through otherwise. I like the js24p and the jem70v, edge trem dimarzio pickups...I dont mind the made in indo thing either
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I don't mind the Indonesia thing that much, but when I weigh the price, it makes me realize that I can get a made in Japan ESP LTD Elite for about the same amount of money......
I guess my big thing is the whole American economy in the toilet, recession, etc.....I'd like to think that if I buy an American product that an American has a job.
I know that this theory has absolutely nothing to do directly with buying a Japanese named guitar that is made elsewhere...........
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 01:58 AM

If your a bigger esp fan go for that or if you want american made get a fender std american strat and put some hot pickups in it and floyd rose it. Im just a big satch and vai fan so id go for the premi sigs. On anothe note I have a fender mim strat with a floyd rose and i dropped a dimarzio super distortion in it and couldnt be happier. So its really up to you, if your a big joe satriani fan get the js24p but if your not I would get the strat and floyd\dimarzio it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 05:09 AM

if you're a made in america fan, buy a carvin. you can customize it how you like and for a decent price as well.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
if you're a made in america fan, buy a carvin. you can customize it how you like and for a decent price as well.
+1

Carvin is always a great option.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
+1

Carvin is always a great option.
Mid-May I will be posting a NGD for my first Carvin so keep an eye out for it
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsta-Tone View Post

I don't have the cash to buy another guitar right now, but I do use American Musical's payment plan a lot. They only offer the 100, 1200, and 24P.
Can't comment on how 24P compares to the others and I do not like giving financial advise but if you're going to buy it through a payment plan, you may want to check Sweetwater's payment plan as well. Right now they offer 24 months no interest payments on Ibanezs. They had a 36 month no interest promotion during St. Patrick's day and I have a feeling they may do the same thing for Memorial Day.

As far as I know, the Edge trem is Japanese, and the Dimarzio's are original (Does diMarzio have manufacturing out of US?). i think tuners may not be Gotoh like the prestige JSs though.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
I really like Carvins. I'll take another look at them. I have a Bolt Plus with a Floyd Rose, but it's Swamp Ash and sounds pretty much exactly the opposite of my JS. Not a problem, but as a backup guitar, I would like something that sounds fairly similar.

I'm not stuck on the made in US thing. I just am not very comfortable with outsourcing. Especially when America keeps borrowing money to pay for unemployment benefits. Seems to me that we wouldn't need to borrow the money if we simply made more of the products that we purchase........

If the 24P fretwork is nice and the neck is straight, then really the only thing holding me up would be the quality of the hardware. I have had a few guitars with the 1000 series Floyd Rose. They seem to play almost as smoothly as my guitars with the Schaller made original Floyds. The base plate is a little bit thicker and there is not as much attention to some details, but other than that, they feel solid.

I really like the looks of the ESP ST-1, but I can't get a red one with a rosewood fretboard. I know it's trivial, but I have a super bright sounding Carvin. Not sure I want another bright guitar.
The thing that keeps me coming back to the JS is the buttery rich neck pickup tone!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Do you guys think the Chopper on the 24P will sound remotely similar to the PAF Pro on the 1000?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 04:52 PM

When ever you buy an Indo guitar remember to figure in a fret job.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys!
I really like Carvins. I'll take another look at them. I have a Bolt Plus with a Floyd Rose, but it's Swamp Ash and sounds pretty much exactly the opposite of my JS. Not a problem, but as a backup guitar, I would like something that sounds fairly similar.

I'm not stuck on the made in US thing. I just am not very comfortable with outsourcing. Especially when America keeps borrowing money to pay for unemployment benefits. Seems to me that we wouldn't need to borrow the money if we simply made more of the products that we purchase........

If the 24P fretwork is nice and the neck is straight, then really the only thing holding me up would be the quality of the hardware. I have had a few guitars with the 1000 series Floyd Rose. They seem to play almost as smoothly as my guitars with the Schaller made original Floyds. The base plate is a little bit thicker and there is not as much attention to some details, but other than that, they feel solid.

I really like the looks of the ESP ST-1, but I can't get a red one with a rosewood fretboard. I know it's trivial, but I have a super bright sounding Carvin. Not sure I want another bright guitar.
The thing that keeps me coming back to the JS is the buttery rich neck pickup tone!
Dude, with Carvin you can get any sort of wood you want (of course you already know this ). If you want something darker, get a mahogany body or maybe black or white limba (new for this year). You can always get the same wood type as your JS and get it bolt on or whatever to make it a backup to your JS. Mix that wood tone with the neck pup of your JS1000 and you'll be fine

Or, look into a JS900. Not a lot of color variety there but they are cheaper on the used market and you can always upgrade pups with your leftover cash
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:

snip

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

Buttery tone and single coil spaced humbuckers are totally incompatible. While you can get a lot of nice tones with a single coil spaced humbucker, the one thing all single spaced humbuckers have in common is the distinct lack of that buttery tone. The single spaced humbucker could be called harsh by some or powerful by others. It could be considered muddy by some or midrange heavy by others, but never that wide open PAF buttery sound akin to a full sized humbucker placed where the 24th fret would go. Some people hate the sometimes undefined buttery tone and want more definition so they get either a single coil or a single coil space humbucker with the dual blades or at least dual pole pieces in narrow format like the Seymour Duncan lil '59 or lil JB.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Eco

I have a JS1000 and tried out a JS24P when I bought my new amp a few weeks ago and noticed a few differences.

First off you'll notice a difference in quality straight away from the JS1000. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but the guitar just didn't feel as well built. It was strange as the fretwork was nice and the profile was similar but felt a bit fatter in my hands but overall it was a nice guitar, just not on par with the 1000.

Neck and cleans weren't quite up to scratch compared to the JS1000 but elsewhere it was pretty similar

It was a nice guitar and you'd probably be happy using it as a backup if that's how you view it, but to me the JS1000 is a much better guitar.

I just wish they hadn't stamped "premium" right on the headstock, i just don't see the point and it feels like a marketing ploy to get people to buy the more expensive model, but thats maybe my inner gear snob shining through. Its a nice guitar, but just not as nice a JS1000/1200
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Eco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

Buttery tone and single coil spaced humbuckers are totally incompatible. While you can get a lot of nice tones with a single coil spaced humbucker, the one thing all single spaced humbuckers have in common is the distinct lack of that buttery tone. The single spaced humbucker could be called harsh by some or powerful by others. It could be considered muddy by some or midrange heavy by others, but never that wide open PAF buttery sound akin to a full sized humbucker placed where the 24th fret would go. Some people hate the sometimes undefined buttery tone and want more definition so they get either a single coil or a single coil space humbucker with the dual blades or at least dual pole pieces in narrow format like the Seymour Duncan lil '59 or lil JB.
This was written while I was typing my response and I agree regarding the neck pickup. To me the PAF on the neck is one of the top qualities of the JS1000, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

If I could match the Body shape, neck tone & clean tones of my JS with my Neck shape/24 fret and treble tones of my MMJP 6 i'd have my perfect guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode