Ibanez rules, but is it best I can get? - What about handmad - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez rules, but is it best I can get? - What about handmad

Yesterday I spent whole evening with my buddy designing his new bass. He's ordering his new six string fretless with tremolo bridge from this guy who also made bass for Les Claypool (not Karl Thompson). They've been talking about shapes, woods, electronics, tremolo... it goes on for like week or so.
I must say that at one point I started thinking "How come I couldn't talk about all those essential things with somebody at Ibanez when I was buying my UV baby??"
Let me get this straight: I LOVE IBANEZ!! There's no other guitar brand I would even consider buying. My Ibanez guitar has everything I want, shape, sound, feel... you name it.
But... the thing is... many people has the same darn guitar!! I just replied to this guy who tried the same guitar I have and said it was made horrible!!! Mine is made perfectly but...

Getting the guitar which is made by my own specs, guitar which was created in my mind, which is unique is what I'm thinking about now. True, most *of the features would be 'stolen' from Ibanez, but I must say many thing would be changed to fit me even more.
Talking for hours about pickups, hardware, woods, fret inlays with luthier dude, talking about AKM (Al KatZ Model) - that's my dream.

It costs arm and leg, I know... but not much more than some signature model Ibanez top model. With one big difference... she lasts all your life! And she's unique! Not to mention she's 100% HANDMADE!!! Made with love... something which can't be found even on the top serial production models.

Yesterday, when I finished drawing the shape of my friend's new bass, I cannot explain it, but it felt GREAT!!! How would I felt if I made my own guitar shape, specs and other things? Universum and I would become one! :beammeup:

This is how I feel right now... maybe next time when I take my UV babe and start playing her I'll change my mind...

Thanx for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 07:48 AM

Ibanez rules, but is it best I can get?

Dude!
Hehe... who is that luthier dude you talked about your AKM with? Hehe...

We've already talked about this, remember? It's a shame that no one can get a Custom babe unless he's famous (or going to be famous), or a zillionaire guy.
For the matter, it's a shame that Ibanez doesn't deal with their customers, too.
I mean, I've spent thousands bucks for an Iby babe just becuz it's been designed by Vai/Satch/Gilbert, and don't you want to deal with me? Such a shame!
I begin to understand why many endorsers are switchin'em off, over and over again.
The fact is that... I f*ckin looove Ibanezes!!!!!! Call me fool, but that's the truth!

nuno
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 07:51 AM

Dude!
Hehe... who is that luthier dude you talked about your AKM with? Hehe...

We've already talked about this, remember? It's a shame that no one can get a Custom babe unless he's famous (or going to be famous), or a zillionaire guy.
For the matter, it's a shame that Ibanez doesn't deal with their customers, too.
I mean, I've spent thousands bucks for an Iby babe just becuz it's been designed by Vai/Satch/Gilbert, and don't you want to deal with me? Such a shame!
I begin to understand why many endorsers are switchin'em off, over and over again.
The fact is that... I f*ckin looove Ibanezes!!!!!! Call me fool, but that's the truth!
Regards to Goran 'DaBassManDude'...

nuno, the lo-pro/no-frills dude
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 08:58 AM

I had similar thoughts and wanted a unique guitar made to my spec here in the UK-I had a bit of a buget (1600) but that was okay. *

I eventually found a suitable luthier who made modern rock guitars (JJ Hucke) and comissioned a guitar from him after looking at his supposed previous work and a recommendation from a UK guitar mag (Guitarist). *

It was the worst two years of my life. *He was incompetant, sloppy, rude and awkward. *The first guitar had the bridge in the wrong place and numerous other faults. *I threatened legal action and he agreed to make me a new guitar with free updates to the spec (surely he can't bodge a second guitar?) *Sure enough, he did!!-- 's' shaped neck, trem route ****-eyed, left handed tuners on a right handed guitar and numerous other faults. *I threatened legal action action again and demanded my money back. *He buckled and now I've ordered an Ibanez JC custom. *

What worries me now is that JJ Hucke is now JJ Guitars and is advertising heavily in the UK prior to making and selling 'mid-priced'guitars. *So many people are going to be ripped off by this jerk!

So I had a really bad custom guitar experience which is why I came back into the fold with Ibanez.

Anil
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 10:23 AM

Bad experience, Anil, defenetely...

I think there's a precise reason if Ibanez is Ibanez.
The fact is that they're digging their own grave, doing what they're doing.

(gulp! I guess Glen's goin' to close this thread, now!)

nuno
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 11:05 AM

I had a reasonable experience with a custom shop guy, he didn't quite do it to spec, and did chip the finish while doing some work on it and botched the pickup ring hole spacing, but he fixed it as best he could, and I was happy and didn't mind too much that some of it hadn't gone to plan. But he only made the body, so...

Shame you can't get customshop stuff, but it's their business model, and this is one of those reoccuring themes of discussion round here...

Best thing to do is to think of your ibanez as a starting point and then customise it by changing paint jobs/body shape etc. You can use the original body as a template for all the measurements and use all the hardware etc.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 12:35 PM

Totally handmade is a cool concept, but in these days of CNC routers & other automated processes, handmade isn't always better. *And then there's the incompetents. *Plus, even totally custom guitars can't do everything. *Want stainless steel frets on yours a'la Parker? *No go.

The "using Ibanez as starting point" is a good idea. *I chose the lightest, most resonant Radius body out of 3 guitars, and will send to Brian for some routing & finishing customization. *Then, with a Duncan/DiMarzio mix, modded edge trem, and possibly a Carvin neck, it's not really an Ibanez anymore. *If I could pony up $3k, i'd have a luthier make me the same exact axe in neck-thru.

For a semi-custom, you may want to try Carvin. *MANY choices in wood, pickups, finish, etc. *Thousands of combos to pick from. *BUT- they have a few main body styles & neck profiles, and if you don't like them, tough. *I'd have one on order NOW if they offered a Radius body. *No such luck.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 01:05 PM

The Jackson Custom Shop gives you a very "Ibanez"-like experience, made to order by some of the nicest people in the biz, with excellent customer service to boot. You're backed by a reputable US company, and you get a custom-made guitar with an undeniable shred lineage... If I were going the custom route, they'd be my first stop...

...and I've never been impressed by Carvin. My USA Jacksons are far finer than any Carvin I've owned or played in a thousand little details that count huge with me...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 03:45 PM

Hey, Jimi,
Wanna expound on some of those details for me?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2001, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

I see...I also know few people who bought handmade guitar/bass and later on realized they bought piece of junk. It depends who you choose as your guitar maker. Custom shops are probably the best idea. I mean, basically it's factory made guitar for you only.
Everybody says Ibanez Custom Shop is closed; I also heard *about Jackson Custom shop as a good choice. 'Cause music is not my profession I don't spend much time searching for that kind of information. Nuno, dude, you remember when we talked about it, and you had few pretty sad things to tell about dealing with Custom shops.
But I know that there *are* good luthiers. They have small workshops, few people employed, and they are totally low-profile guys. They are hard to find and they mainly make basses. There's good reason for that, but it goes beyond this thread.
For now, best way for me to make my AKM is changing few things on my UV. I'm planning to change pickups, experiment with Duncan/DiMarzio combination, and to change pickguard with custom made one. Neck and body shape are perfect for me. Hardware is awesome too. No need for changing.
But one day, when I'll have loads of money to spend, I'll go to one of those lo-pro guys and order my own guitar. I'll order guitar body made of 40-50 pieces of different woods, which will be shaped by my specs, 5-6 pieces of different wood in the neck... And I'll spend hours and hours with that dude, talking about my new babe.
I donno, maybe it's just me...

p.s. I can't wait to see what will come out of my friend's new bass.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 10:31 AM

I suppose the word 'custom' is a subjective term. *You could buy a guitar, change the pick ups and call it a custom. *Personally, I think a custom guitar should be a unique piece of work, made to clear specifications. *Thus Ibanez's own Japanese Customs aren't custom at all-they are basically the highest quality guitars Ibanez make-their flagship by which they set their standards.

A custom builder should be able to make a playable, durable guitar-that should be a given. *If they can make it a beautiful piece of work, then they're special artisans. *The experience I had with JJ Hucke (JJ Guitars) was that he was unable to make even a functional guitar. *He should not be able to call himself a luthier. *In Germany (where Jens Jurgen Hucke originated) luthiers have to serve a seven year apprenticeship (they must start below the age of 24 years), sitting exams and practical tests before they can call themselves a 'luthier'. *This is why German guitars are so very well made. Hucke obviously couldn't cut it and attended a 12 week course at night school in the Totness School of guitar making! *Then he set himself up as a custom luthier!!! *The consumer isn't being protected from these rip off merchants!

My advice would be to approach a recommended luthier. *Someone a reliable source has told you about. *I found such a luthier whilst on holiday in the Yorkshire Dales. *He's called Pete Back and Gary Moore (of Thinj Lizzy and bluesman now) often pops into his workshop to buy a few of his lovely pieces. *He's also INCREDIBLY cheap. *I saw guitars like my JJ Hucke (1549) in his workshop for 799! *Check him out: www.guitarmaker.co.uk

Anil
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 10:43 AM

I saw Jan Cyrca with a JJ guitar on the Rotosound strings ad.
The guitar looks cool, a bit PRS-ish, don't it?

nuno
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Anil, you are soooo right!!!

Anywayz, I didn't know about that luthier school procedure in Germany. You pretty much killed all of my doubts, 'cause the guy from whome my friend is ordering his bass extravaganza is German guy. I didn't want to advertise before but... his name is Jens Ritter, his amazing artwork can be seen on http://www.ritter-basses.com. There's also one chrome guitar he made... she can fly her flag next to the chromeboy anytime. If there was Edge installed on that beauty, hmmmm...
Here where I live we also have few 'JJ's'... here and then they manage to make something playable, but everything what I saw was totall crap!! But the thing is that they are good friends with all 'eminent musicians' around here. Once I tried one of those 'Custom' guitars and when I said it sucks, I was surrounded with five of those 'real' guitarists who were saying I'm too young to understand what is "Guitar with soul...". Maybe I'm stupid but buzzing pickups and English Channel between strings and neck can't be guitar soul...

I will check adress you gave me, thanx man.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 01:54 PM

I have to second the Jackson custom shop.

Check out all the options on their page, it's insane.

They offer like 50 different body styles, then at the bottom it says "anything you want $xx".

Every catagory says that. Necks, headstocks, inlays etc.

It is a true custom shop. I may be ordering one in a year or so.

7 string of course.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 06:08 PM

I'm in the same situation you are. I like Ibanez's, but I want to get the best I can with the features I want, even if it means spending more money. I have been looking at Conklin Guitars. They are all handmade and you can do anything you want. I have written a few email's and the reply's have come back quick and answer my questions. They are rather expensive though. Here is there website. www.conklinguitars.com. Tom Anderson's look rather good too.

Tags
body shape , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , edge trem , fret inlay , gary moore , guitar body , guitar mag , ibanez custom shop , jackson custom shop , pickup ring , production model , stainless steel frets , steel frets , tremolo bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode