Ibanez Universe: necks same on old and new models? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez Universe: necks same on old and new models?

I'm considering picking up a used Ibanez Universe, possibly one of the older ones, and wondered whether the neck shape/profile has changed at all in terms of the originals versus the new ones. Are they basically the same neck, aside from the neck joint and the fact the newer ones are 5-piece?

As an aside, how do the necks differ between UVs and 7-string RGs, if at all?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 07:55 AM

Re: Ibanez Universe: necks same on old and new models?

Not at all, i would say that neck profile is a bit different every year. Even old ones are different, take any model you want. As a previous owner of 91'green dot and 2005 UV777 i can say that those where all kinds of different. Both great but still UV777 felt more like classic baseball bat while 91' was super thin.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 AM

They're very different. I have a UV7PWH and a UV777PBK from 2000, there is little similar with the necks. The PWH is thin, almost wizard like in profile while the PBK is thicker and far more rounded. Both great guitars though.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Looks like the earlier UVs wouldn't be for me then.

So did the thicker neck profile get introduced as soon as the UV777BK/PBK was released? Just in case I find an earlier example.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Reviews: 12

I might add to Algiman's statement: the "old school" UV neck's are pretty thin. Perhaps just as thin, if not similar, as an RG7 neck without the bubinga stripe.

if i'm not mistaken, the PBK's have seen 3 incarnations:
an early PBK ['98 - '02] would be one piece + scarf joint neck with Lo Pro7 bridge
middle PBK ['03 - '09] would be 5 piece neck with Edge Pro7 bridge
current PBK ['10 - today] would be 5 piece neck with Lo Pro7 bridge

I'm pretty sure neck profile/shape is similar across the board despite the "Prestige" neck construction since '03.
In any case, any of the above are legit although many prefer the LP7 bridge

Reg
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 01:24 PM

Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by reguv760 View Post
Perhaps just as thin, if not similar, as an RG7 neck without the bubinga stripe.
Interesting, I have 2 RG7s, one with and one without the stripe. The one with the stripe is significantly thinner, and far more like my old UV7, the one without is more like my UV777PBK!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Don't forget that the 2005-present necks are 3mm wider......... They're called the UV prestige and are 68mm at the heel as opposed to the 65mm of the previous years.

Also note that the specs for the '97-'02 UV's IS 2mm thicker the entire length of the neck
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help everyone. I picked up a used '99 UV777BK on Sunday and am pretty pleased with the neck profile, still thinner than I'd like in an ideal world but I like the way it plays.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 AM

This might interest you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode