Ibanez UV70 Premium - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez UV70 Premium

So has anyone here picked one of the new UV Premium guitars up yet and if so can you offer an opinion? I have a few Jems but no UV yet. I thought it's either this or keep an eye on ebay for a good deal on a UV777BK.

I actually traded in my Ibanez RG7621 earlier towards a UV70. Man I hope it wasn't a mistake.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:07 AM

Re: Ibanez UV70 Premium

I have one. It's a good guitar. I've never had an original one though so I can't compare the two but I can tell you the UV70 Premium feels good when I play, don't have issues with the tuning and the Edge Zero II seems to be good so far. If you can pass the fact that it's not made in Japan....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 PM

I had one...it was defective and was sent back never to return. The neck was ok on it as far as feel but as with most of the Premiums I have tried and the three that I have owned, the fretwork was all over the place. I didn't bother getting another one and picked up a new RG2627ZE instead.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

So then the same mixed reviews of it as with the Jem 70SFG? Some are good and others need to be "recycled." I'm going to order one and if I don't like it I can always send it back.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 04:44 AM

Are you ordering one from a shop or online? I'm laughing at the comments about the frets.... I had no issues with mine but even on an expensive guitar you can have problems with frets. I also don't ever remember buying a guitar from a shop and be happy with the set up. I mean you're supposed to set up the guitar to your liking....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santir79 View Post
Are you ordering one from a shop or online? I'm laughing at the comments about the frets.... I had no issues with mine but even on an expensive guitar you can have problems with frets. I also don't ever remember buying a guitar from a shop and be happy with the set up. I mean you're supposed to set up the guitar to your liking....
It's not very polite to laugh at other people's problems :/ and lower end guitars, such as premium jems and uv's will most likely have more fret problems than high end jems and uv's... It's the Indo factor.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 AM

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just saying that even expensive guitars can have problems with frets. It can be solved easily if the rest of the guitar is good.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santir79 View Post
I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just saying that even expensive guitars can have problems with frets. It can be solved easily if the rest of the guitar is good.
You make a few too many assumptions on my post but then I perhaps should have explained it a bit more. There is no doubt on this. I've had more than enough guitars over the years to have seen it. It is wood and it shrinks and moves. It is bound to happen. Of course one sets up a guitar to their liking. Who doesn't do this? Seriously. Why would you think otherwise?

I've had issues with one of my J Customs with a few frets as well, so I perhaps should have pointed that out in my post. although...apparently if you own a Suhr....there are never problems with frets and they are the most incredible guitars ever built period.

That being said, it was pretty strange but not surprising that all three of my Premium Ibby's were completely out of whack and that is what bothered me most. I'm not talking a setup issue with the term, etc...I'm talking piss-poor fret levelling, neck not centred, loose parts (I know this can happen with everything but still...at least a quality check would be nice?) The other thing I found and this was strange was that the necks moved more than my other guitars and frequently needed adjustment. I don't know if that was anything but I was able to compare frequently between them and my other guitars. They are in a climate controlled studio in my home. I use a humidifier in the winter and a dehumidifier in the summer months to keep the levels uniform through the year.

The last two purchases of my 2627ZE and my JS2410 were absolutely perfect. I just needed to adjust the intonation and string height. No fret buzzing, no loose parts, just a very nicely built pair of guitars.

Last edited by PBGas; 08-08-2013 at 09:38 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

I bought one from ******* with the knowledge that if I don't like it I can return it. It just arrived today so I can't really make any judgement on the guitar yet. From the few minutes I've had on it I'm fairly pleased. Is the guitar perfect? No. But I truly believe it, and the Jem70SFG to be an excellent value for the folks that can't afford a 7V or 7V7 for that matter. I actually bought a Jem 70VSFG from AMS, tried it out, and sent it back then went to my local dealer and got one for $1,150 tax and all. It's kind of dumb but I like to support the local shop when I can. I would have bought the UV from him too but for some reason his distributor is having issues getting them.

I do appreciate all the input though folks
Bob
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLH_1976 View Post
I bought one from ******* with the knowledge that if I don't like it I can return it. It just arrived today so I can't really make any judgement on the guitar yet. From the few minutes I've had on it I'm fairly pleased. Is the guitar perfect? No. But I truly believe it, and the Jem70SFG to be an excellent value for the folks that can't afford a 7V or 7V7 for that matter. I actually bought a Jem 70VSFG from AMS, tried it out, and sent it back then went to my local dealer and got one for $1,150 tax and all. It's kind of dumb but I like to support the local shop when I can. I would have bought the UV from him too but for some reason his distributor is having issues getting them.

I do appreciate all the input though folks
Bob
That is probably the best way to look at it. If it works and you like it then you are good to go. My local store got in another one and it looked to be setup very nicely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode