I'd like to buy another jem. what do you suggest? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

I'd like to buy another jem. what do you suggest?

I want to get another jem since my 2004 jem7vwh's frets are wearing out. i wanted the jem77fp2 but its the most expensive jem. and since i already have the 7vwh, i feel it might be unecessary to get another high price jem. so the premiums might be the better way to go.
70vsfg, 77pbfp, or the 77wdp. or i might even include the uv70p since i never owned a 7 string before. hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:56 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: I'd like to buy another jem. what do you suggest?

[ThinkingOutLoud]
Why would anyone go from playing a frikin' VWH to a premium?
[/ThinkingOutLoud]

refret and PLEX for the win! Or find an old beatup real JEM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
[ThinkingOutLoud]
Why would anyone go from playing a frikin' VWH to a premium?
[/ThinkingOutLoud]

refret and PLEX for the win! Or find an old beatup real JEM.

Funny how similar we all really are, the same situations we go through. For years, I was afraid to play my Jems much (a Jem 7vwh and 77Vbk) to preserve frets, etc. So, I'd gig and jam with people and bring something else. I went through a period of buying and selling quite a few RG prestiges for this purpose. Just never felt totally at home with any of them. I went on to buy a 7VSBL and a 77BRMR. Same thing, play them out sparingly, even on rotation with other guitars. However, I realized that I played my best when using a Jem and that the Jem neck was just IT for me. So, this summer I actually bought a second 7Vwh, which I now use for 90% of my gigs, etc...it's my absolute "player " guitar and I want to see it through a fret job someday. After playing it so much, I'm realizing that this guitar is becoming like a body appendage to me. An experience I am enjoying. I only have a couple guitars left that aren't Jems, (two PGMs) and i'm often thinking of just selling them off as I never use them.

Last edited by JemSLO; 12-14-2016 at 12:19 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:10 PM

I just had my '97 7V refretted last week. It was already crowned and dressed a while back, so it was due time. I completely forgot how far I used to be able to bend strings on this thing.

If I had the option to play each one, I wouldn't have a problem with a Premium. I've played enough that were killer right off the shelf as well as a bunch that left a LOT to be desired. Definitely would not purchase without playing first.

I know if I buy another JEM, it'll be the 77VBK because it'll be the perfect evil twin to my 7V. My only gripe is that I'd strongly prefer an ebony fingerboard.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marloni View Post
I want to get another jem since my 2004 jem7vwh's frets are wearing out. i wanted the jem77fp2 but its the most expensive jem. and since i already have the 7vwh, i feel it might be unecessary to get another high price jem. so the premiums might be the better way to go.
70vsfg, 77pbfp, or the 77wdp. or i might even include the uv70p since i never owned a 7 string before. hehe.
I suggest a refret.

EDIT - and I'm not even saying that as any particular fan of a Jem. I just think, if you like the guitar, a couple hundred bucks on a refret at a really good tech is a much better investment of your money than a second non-Japanese Jem.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:59 PM

If you want a "2nd" Jem, get a used 505 (NOT a 555 - big difference) and swap the pickups and you're Done.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 06:36 AM

You could buy mine, I'm considering selling and it's in great shape.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 07:12 AM

Hmmmm, asked question almost two weeks ago and never came back. What a shame for all the people who took time out of their day trying to help. So much good advice wasted away.

Tags
jem , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode