If you remove the finish on the neck - doesn´t your sweat ru - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

If you remove the finish on the neck - doesn´t your sweat ru

pardon my ignorance but if remove the finish of my jem´s neck, doesn´t the sweating of my hand ruin the wood or change it´s color or something similar?
thanx

viva zappa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 12:56 PM

If you remove the finish on the neck

My friend plays an RG170. *He is insanely good at guitar and yet he's used this instrument nearly all his playing life. *The back of the neck is now permanently a sick green/yellow color from the sweat soaking in. *I think it adds character. *You may find it nasty.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 01:26 PM

I sanded the finish off the back of my 7VWH neck over a year and a half ago, and after hours and hours of playing, (in some very hot tempatures...lots of sweat), it's gotten a little darker, but not in a dirty looking kind of way, moreso aged than anything. Earlier this year, I rubbed a little Tung oil onto it, which didn't change the feel at all, thankfully. BTW-last time I sanded the neck, I used 120 grit paper...so it's pretty rough.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 04:25 PM

To clean the neck of grime once you've removed the finish and after sweaty playing rub the neck with cotton swabs and alcohol (rubbing not drinking):biggrin: *It'll keep the greasy/scummy feel off of your neck and keep it original in color. *
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 06:06 PM

My necks pretty darn green.

-VIG-

Tags
tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode