If you are serious about performing/writing music, is it wrong to play a signature? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

If you are serious about performing/writing music, is it wrong to play a signature?

I have always wanted a VWH and/or VSBL, and a EBJPM.

But, is it a deterrent? Can one be taken seriously if they play a signature series guitar?

The reason why it is such a tough debate for myself, is I have rarely ever found guitars that play with such ease as a JEM/JPM. The feel of the neck, the low action, etc.

Just wanted to hear some other musician's thoughts.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:47 PM

Re: If you are serious about performing/writing music, is it wrong to play a signature?

Ask every musician who plays a Les Paul the same question. Clearly it isn't an issue for them.

Play what works for you.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:47 PM

Re: If you are serious about performing/writing music, is it wrong to play a signature?

Yes, you can. There are actually signature models out of what were originally other guitarists signature models. Besides, most people usually don't recognize signature guitars anyways.
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I hear you guys. Play what works/sounds good to you.

I always wondered this though. Cause you can't really mistake a JEM for any other guitar. I really have my eyes on a VWH/VSBL right now....
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 04:58 PM

Play what's best for you as that way people will here your best playing
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: If you are serious about performing/writing music, is it wrong to play a signatur

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
Play what's best for you as that way people will here your best playing
Hhah so true...I just found a used '08 vwh on **** for $1100....very tempting, such a gorgeous guitar
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 05:11 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: If you are serious about performing/writing music, is it wrong to play a signatur

When I see someone with a Jem on stage I automatically assume the player has some serious chops, so no, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing!

You better have the skills to back it up though
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
When I see someone with a Jem on stage I automatically assume the player has some serious chops, so no, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing!

You better have the skills to back it up though
I'd better not take mine out the house then!
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: If you are serious about performing/writing music, is it wrong to play a signature?

I don't think so! most of my guitars are signature series and I play out with them! Many famous guitar players have done as well!!!
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 05:25 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post
...I have rarely ever found guitars that play with such ease as a JEM/JPM. The feel of the neck, the low action, etc.
Buy whatever makes you happy but don't think that the cost of the guitar has anything to do with how low the action can be when set-up properly.

The more expensive guitars at stores tend to play better off-the-rack because:
A) They are typically set-up better than the cheaper guitars at the factory.
B) Because they are expensive, the store is more likely to keep the guitar set-up well because the person that plays it (before they buy it) will expect it to play well.

Either a guitar is good and functional or it's bad and junk. The odds of one buying a less expensive instrument that's junk is slightly greater than buying a more expensive one but you'll still encounter high-end guitars that are lemons that cannot be set-up with out major surgery.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 PM

I don't think the Les Paul is a good example. You can't really compare it to other signature models in this question. It was the second solid body electric ever produced, so its not like players had much choice back then. By default, it was probably going to have a lot of users. Your basic options were Strat, Tele, or Les Paul (and a few others).

Although I don't think its that big of a deal, I personally wouldn't use something that screams of a certain artist on stage (such as the Zakk Wylde "bullseye" LP or a guitar with the EVH paint pattern on it). I guess my reasoning is that those guys have become associated with those unique guitars. I want to become associated with something unique to me.

But see, you can get the JEMs and (especially) the EBMMs in a pretty wide variety of finishes, so its not really an issue with those guitars. Just don't get a white JEM and write EVO on it.

Last edited by waylay00; 04-20-2008 at 05:36 PM.
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

lot of good feedback, thanks guys.

Just a bit on myself, I have played for about 8 years. When I first started playing I was into Nirvana, Metallica, Megadeth and then I branched out into what I listen to today, Satriani, Vai, Petrucci/DT, Eric Johnson, Andy Timmons. Over the years of playing/learning those artists' material I developed some chops, so I do feel I owuld do a JEM justice...hehe

Its been so long since I played a JEM, I am so used to a direct mount setup guitar, but I will definitely be giving the JEM a try...
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Although I don't think its that big of a deal, I personally wouldn't use something that screams of a certain artist on stage (such as the Zakk Wylde "bullseye" LP or a guitar with the EVH paint pattern on it). I guess my reasoning is that those guys have become associated with those unique guitars. I want to become associated with something unique to me.

But see, you can get the JEMs and (especially) the EBMMs in a pretty wide variety of finishes, so its not really an issue with those guitars. Just don't get a white JEM and write EVO on it.
I don't know about the ZW thing,I think to your average guy it would look like a regular guitar with circles on it whereas a Jem would look odd no matter finish it had because of the monkey grip.

Like the others have said I wouldnt worry about what guitar you play,if you get signed the record company will tell you to lose the Jem if they don't like it
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdubious View Post
I don't know about the ZW thing,I think to your average guy it would look like a regular guitar with circles on it whereas a Jem would look odd no matter finish it had because of the monkey grip.

Like the others have said I wouldnt worry about what guitar you play,if you get signed the record company will tell you to lose the Jem if they don't like it
hah, well I am no where near that...maybe one day though
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 07:04 PM

Personally, I would NEVER play another guitarist's signature model. I just dont like the whole idea of it...and whether or not you like to admit it many people make a judgement about your music when they see your guitar. Most people would be thrown off to see a JEM used for black metal, or an Ibanez Xiphos used for jazz, etc...its unfortunate that people arent more open minded but that's how it is.

That's why I went the route that I did with my guitars. Theyre essentially my "signature models", perfect to my specs. If you have the money for a JEM or something like that, it makes a lota sense to me to just go custom and get exactly what you want and nothin' ya dont.

Tags
alex lifeson , andy timmons , charvel evh , charvel evh art , custom guitar , custom guitars , double neck , ebmm petrucci , eric johnson , ernie ball , guitar players , heavy metal , jem swirl , jimmy page , joe perry , joe satriani , john mayer , john petrucci , les paul , les pauls , monkey grip , peavey wolfgang , playing guitar , rusty cooley , signature guitar , steve vai , zakk wylde , zakk wylde les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode