i'm buying a jem but need your opinion on trem 02-03 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

i'm buying a jem but need your opinion on trem 02-03

I'm buying a jem 7vwh off of rich, he doesnt know this yet but he will soon.

i'm debating on an 02vs an 03,

the lo pro looks sooo much better to me then the new EP, but i would like to hear from you experienced jemmers, on the musical tonal differences between the 2 if any. I've read a billion times the technical diff's but what about the tonal musical differences.

Do any of you notice more sustain from the new EP? Better tuning stability? better intonation? is it worth getting the EP over the awesome looks of the lo pro?

i look forward to reading your opinions.

and Rich i know you have no 02's in stock right now but i can be patient, also i could allways pay extra to have a lopro swapped with the EP in an 03 couldn't I? depends on what everyone says here what i do.

thanks guys

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 08:11 PM

I'd go for a pre 03 personally. I just prefer the Lo Pro. Why did they try to fix something that wasn't broken ?

Plus, a Lo Pro Edge won't fit where an Edge Pro fits. The new bodies are different
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:32 AM

You've probably read all the debate, but I think it really comes down to how long you have been playing Ibanez. I have been using edge/lo-pros since 1990 so it is just that there is a 'difference' in feel from what you are used to. (I'm a square heel one-piece neck kind-guy - I fear change ) I have two Edge-pro guitars so I suppose I'll get used to it. It is still the best 'the tremlo formally known as a Floyd Rose' on the market.

You are right I think it doesn't look as good, as the Lo-Pro esspecially in gold.

They were changed due to copyright reasons - you can find various dicussions on it. It just makes me a bit sad, when I started playing Ibanez the sig' models were THE guitars the artist played. They now seem to be moving further away from that. Satch liked his origional edge so much that he had a fixed bridge made that felt the same - but then a year later - a whole new trem. And buy pure volume of production it must cost more time and effort to make the ebony board and gold hardware on the VWH but you usually see Steve with rosewood and silver. Anyway - sorry about that bit of off topic chunner. My advice would be to try out a Lo-Pro and a Edge-Pro (try and borrow a friends maybe) There's no use paying to fix any 'problems' with the Edge-Pro if they are not an obstacle for you.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 10:28 PM

Well.........

Acient Saying from I don't really know when........If it ain't broke,...................don't fix it. We got along just fine until 2003, so what's really changed? I hate to get all deep and 'significant' with you, but simplicity is a beautiful thing. :P
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 07:07 PM

I do like the look of the LoPro better, but I have no problems with my EdgePro. In fact, its now my main axe. To me it actually feels more comfortable to play (possibly because it sits lower to the body), and if Im playing "extra agressively", It seems I dont have to be as careful with my palm mutes (my hand doesnt move the trem as easily). I havent noticed any meaningful amount of extra sustain, but its definitely no worse than the LoPro. The tuning stability on my UV777BK is great, and I havent even traded out the posts (yet), and with a set of broken in springs the trem still moves like butter, like the LoPro. I would suggest trying one out to see if you can live with the different feel...if you cant, go with the LoPro....if you can, then you wont have to worry about retrofitting any new Ibanez you buy (for the next few years anyway....who knows when they'll release ANOTHER trem!)

Tags
ebony board , fixed bridge , floyd rose , palm mute , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode