I'm getting my js10th, what to check for? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
I'm getting my js10th, what to check for?

Finally I've spotted a JS10th for sale in my own country, so I don't have to pay taxes and international shipping to get one.
I'm checking it out next week, price is 2800,- USD.
serial nr is 238.
Does anyone have tips/tricks for me to check if the guitar is actually worth this much money? Does anyone know a site where I can check if it was stolen? I wouldn't want to buy a guitar that belongs to someone else.

Thanks
10pizza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 11:14 AM

Well, just for the info's sake, I bought a new 10th from Belgium( from a dealer) and I paid ca 2300 USD for mine...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 08:22 PM

Welcome 10Pizza,

Only you can decide if it is worth $2800. But I will tell you for that price it should be in mint condition. Also, check the chrome, obviously, the cleaner the better...although they all have factory flaws.

Good Luck!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback!

What do the typical factory flaws look like?

As for the money, you're right that I can only decide whether it's worth it or not.
After seeing Joe's show last night in Amsterdam , I definitely would like to own a chromeboy, but I'm not that desperate that I'm going to pay such money for a JS10th in bad shape.

Satch, you did the right thing to buy it new from a dealer. I think these guitars were a lot cheaper when they came out, also in Holland.
Unfortunately, I'm too late for that.

regards,

10pizza
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:14 AM
Vendor

There's a wide range of what could be considered factory flaws. Hairs under the chrome in the conduct coat. Swirl polish marks [from buffer pollishing] under the chrome in the conduct coat. Dirt [same same], micro pitting, which looks like a zillion little pinprick pits [same same] then you get to the scratching, and they scratch very easily. I've seen many direct out of factory shipping box that were quite scratched all over, and many that were pristine as far as scratching out of the box. Now 4 years later you're going to find scratching on most of them. It all depends on how much scratching you're willing to accept, because if you're going to play it, it's just going to scratch more, just wiping one down will scratch it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich for the info.

As for scratches, all of my guitars are meant to be played, and as they say in Holland: 'waar gehakt wordt vallen spaanders', which means: if you're working on ( with ) something, you can expect to get damage.
So you won't find an unplayed, unscratched guitar at my place!

I saw some JS10ths on the Ibanezrules site for around 2700-2900 USD which had only minor scratches. I'm expecting this one to be of similar quality.
Probably big scratches or dents would devaluate the guitar with at least 500 USD?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:30 AM
Vendor

Chrome looks a helluvalot worse than clearcoat when it's scratched. And lots of scratching, any missing chrome [dinks, dents, deep scratches] seriously devalue. I sold one similar, one little spot of chrome missing on the face, at $1800.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

According to the seller it is in new state, with only minor beltscratches on the back.

I think with your info I have enough to go and see it and decide whether it's in good shape and worth it's money or not.

I'll let you know next week whether I'm a proud chromeboy owner or not.
If not, I'll post my feedback on this particular guitar and it's seller.

thanks,

10pizza
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

GOT IT!

I went, I saw it and I took it home!

I'm now a proud owner of my own JS10pizza, nr. 238.
I'll post some pics when I have them.

This JS10th is in great shape, only a few factory-imperfections and some minor scratches.

Love the way it plays and sounds!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:49 AM
Vendor

Congrats dude. I should have said that most I have seen in the 200 range had cleaner chrome, but it doesn't hold true for all of them so I didn't want to say anything
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich,

I only have seen other JS10th's from pictures, so I can not really qualify my JS10th, but to me it looks good.

I'll let you be the judge when I have some pictures.

But whatever you think of it, I'll still be happy!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 05:04 AM
Vendor

There's one thing about pictures, they never show any flaws on a chrome, unless you really want the flaws to be seen, and shoot close ups meant to show them off. Like, you'll never see scratches unless you shoot into the reflected glare from a strong light source, from the right angle, you'll see the scratches on the edge or the light that way
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

I'll give it a try, but it probably won't be easy.

I've seen your pictures of chromeboys and a lot of times you definitely need the matchstick to find the scratch.

Anyway, even with a lot of scratching it would still look great on stage.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Congrats dude. I should have said that most I have seen in the 200 range had cleaner chrome, but it doesn't hold true for all of them so I didn't want to say anything
I can definitely vouch for that!

Congrats on your Chromeboy, 10pizza!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Chromeboy!
but why the sad face? do you not own one? or is yours not in the 2xx-range?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode