I'm honestly starting to get tired of these Floyd systems - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

I'm honestly starting to get tired of these Floyd systems

Ever since I bought this guitar, I had nothing but bad experiences with these systems.

I took the guitar to two techs for setup, it was all done wrong, the bridge too forward, are these techs so stupid that they don't even know how to set these systems properly? and they supposedly have decades of experience and I'm sure the guy lowered my action without even releasing tension off the strings.

This tech lowered the action, and somehow put the bridge too forward, probably to "remove" buzzing that happened by him lowering the action.

Despite the bridge being that forward, my guitar was in tune fine, it would return to zero point. I followed the advice to adjust the bridge angle, and it threw everything off.

It lowered the action, creating some buzzing, which I kinda expected. I raised the action a little and repeated the process of lowering the angle. I got it somewhat lowered but not fully parallel, but no buzzing this time, but now my action is a bit lower than before I did all this. Maybe 2mm on low E and 1.5 on high E. Before it was 2.5mm and 2.0

but now the guitar is having a hard time staying in tune, maybe because of all the adjusting

I detune the guitar before raising the action and lowering the angle accordingly, so I don't think anything bad happened to the edges.

I paid for these two techs I still don't have a good setup guitar. This is nonsense. There is another tech with more experience with these systems, but one hour away, now I have no choice but to go to him and pay AGAIN for another setup.

I'm getting tired of this. Maybe I should've bought an Evertune guitar and not have to deal with any of this nonsense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 02:11 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: I'm honestly starting to get tired of these Floyd systems

Read Rich's tutorial on Ibanezrules and learn how to do your own setups.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 03:10 PM

Best advice for a floating trem is learn to set it up yourself. I've never seen a "tech" set one up properly.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
are these techs so stupid that they don't even know how to set these systems properly?.
I can’t speak on the techs. However, calling someone stupid for allegedly not doing a job properly that you yourself are unable to do speaks volumes.
CaptNasty likes this.
jemboyee is online  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

I just feel frustrated. I read and watched every video possible. Yes I read his website. Its too difficult, not the adjustments but knowing how to Do it right. Its a balance and i cant find it.

I adjusted the angle and action a few times and i still cant get a good setup now the guitar cant stay in tune like before when the bridge was forward

At least it kept in tune before.

I dont have the skills to set it right. If these techs who supposedly have decades of experience cant do it right how am i supposed to get it properly setup?

And even if i get a good setup when it comes time to change strings im afraid it would undo the setup even if i use the same string, same size

Im seriously considering buying an Evertune guitar and forget about all these whammy bar stuff.

I already paid for 2 setups before and I still don’t have a properly setup guitar. Now I’ll have to pay again and I’ll probably wont touch anything at all after that.

If I buy the evertune, I’ll probably keep this one anyway. Im pretty sure I’ll play the evertune guitar more. I rarely use the whammy bar.

Last edited by Fowleri; 12-22-2020 at 04:00 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
Quote:
are these techs so stupid that they don't even know how to set these systems properly?.
I can’t speak on the techs. However, calling someone stupid for allegedly not doing a job properly that you yourself are unable to do speaks volumes.
The difference is that I’m a beginner when it comes to these systems. These are techs who have many years if experience and I paid one of them $75 for a setup.

And he didn’t even set it up right. The bridge angled all forward.

Now I’ll have to pay someone else to possibly set it up right and I’ll have to drive one hour to his shop and back and do the same thing again to pick up my guitar.

These systems unless youre very experienced are more trouble and a nuisance that if even techs who have years of experience can set one right how is the average joe supposed to do it? Let alone a beginner to these systems

And anything can throw off that setup to the trash, even just changing the strings could change an expensive setup

It aint worth and for what to use the bar a few times on a solo? Look at the evertune, thing never goes out of tune.

Maybe i should just get that guitar bridge as a spare, Ill probably end up playing it more
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
The difference is that Iím a beginner when it comes to these systems. These are techs who have many years if experience and I paid one of them $75 for a setup.

And he didnít even set it up right. The bridge angled all forward.

Now Iíll have to pay someone else to possibly set it up right and Iíll have to drive one hour to his shop and back and do the same thing again to pick up my guitar.

These systems unless youre very experienced are more trouble and a nuisance that if even techs who have years of experience can set one right how is the average joe supposed to do it?

And anything can throw off that setup to the trash, even just changing the strings
You don't "have to" do anything. There are a plethora of videos and instructional guidelines out there to where anyone can do it themselves.
jemboyee is online  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
Quote:
The difference is that I’m a beginner when it comes to these systems. These are techs who have many years if experience and I paid one of them $75 for a setup.

And he didn’t even set it up right. The bridge angled all forward.

Now I’ll have to pay someone else to possibly set it up right and I’ll have to drive one hour to his shop and back and do the same thing again to pick up my guitar.

These systems unless youre very experienced are more trouble and a nuisance that if even techs who have years of experience can set one right how is the average joe supposed to do it?

And anything can throw off that setup to the trash, even just changing the strings
You don't "have to" do anything. There are a plethora of videos and instructional guidelines out there to where anyone can do it themselves.
Last night I spent hours trying to set up the guitar right with the bridge as is supposed to be, by adjusting the angle and also the action. I did it as is supposed to be done and I still can’t get it right.

I managed to lower the angle, then action was lowered. I raised the action and lowered the angle again. No more buzz but now the guitar won’t stay in tune like before.

I did all these adjustments without string tension.

Its too complicated because it has to be set right and any millimeters adjustments that is wrong will throw everything

I have no choice now but to go to this other tech one hours away from me and pay for another setup. Then ill buy an evertune guitar just to have something that actually works and doesn’t need all this stuff to be done and anything can throw it off balance

Maybe I should just block the trem with a tremolono and never look back
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Last night I spent hours trying to set up the guitar right with the bridge as is supposed to be, by adjusting the angle and also the action. I did it as is supposed to be done and I still canít get it right.

I managed to lower the angle, then action was lowered. I raised the action and lowered the angle again. No more buzz but now the guitar wonít stay in tune like before.

I did all these adjustments without string tension.

Its too complicated because it has to be set right and any millimeters adjustments that is wrong will throw everything

I have no choice now but to go to this other tech one hours away from me and pay for another setup. Then ill buy an evertune guitar just to have something that actually works and doesnít need all this stuff to be done and anything can throw it off balance

Maybe I should just block the trem with a tremolono and never look back
Where are you located?
jemboyee is online  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 05:20 PM

After seeing your replies here and your other posts on the forum, my advice for you has changed: sell all of your guitars and take up playing the world's smallest violin.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxopwn View Post
After seeing your replies here and your other posts on the forum, my advice for you has changed: sell all of your guitars and take up playing the world's smallest violin.
Dude have you ever tried adjusting the bridge on a violin? If you think a Floyd rose is sensitive... 😉
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2020, 04:22 AM

OP should switch to keyboard.
They are allways in tune and they lack whammy bar.
The TPS Report and CaptNasty like this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2020, 08:48 PM

Reviews: 5

I know how you feel. You get used to it. I don't recommend them for beginners, though. I remember when I got my first one, and since I didn't know what I was doing, I couldn't tune the damn thing. Like anything the more you do it, the easier it becomes. I love them, but every once in a while I'll look down and thing "WTF is this HUGE HUNK of metal on my guitar"?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2020, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robochimp View Post
I know how you feel. You get used to it. I don't recommend them for beginners, though. I remember when I got my first one, and since I didn't know what I was doing, I couldn't tune the damn thing. Like anything the more you do it, the easier it becomes. I love them, but every once in a while I'll look down and thing "WTF is this HUGE HUNK of metal on my guitar"?
Thats why it shouldn’t be your main guitar. Ideally you want a floyd and a hardtail

Im really thinking of getting a solar or esp with an evertune bridge
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2020, 04:55 PM

I bought a Genesis RG550DX. It was my first Floyd Rose trem and took me awhile to figure out how to adjust and use it. After reading the detailed info on the Ibanezrules website I was able to setup my guitar how I like it in about 1.5 hours. I now rarely have to tune it. Sometimes I'm able to bring it back into tune just by down/up/down on the whammy. Plus a little fine tuning.

If you're getting this frustrated put it down and come back to it later. Or get rid of it altogether. You're supposed to be enjoying yourself!

Good luck.
WMerkert likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode