I'm a JEM noob - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Red face I'm a JEM noob

I have been playing guitar for some 4 years now and have obviously heard a lot about Jems...mainly that they are incredible guitars. Anyway, these guitars clearly span a few decades with numerous models popping up here and there and i am interested to get my hands on one.

It is most likely that i would go for the JEM7V as it is the most redily available etc. but would you guys reccommend this an older JEM? i know this is kind of vague, but i am a JEM noob.

So yeah, whats the JEM7v like? does it compare to older models? if i were to go second hand (which i am happy to) where is the best place to start looking.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 07:30 AM

Re: I'm a JEM noob

When you say Jem7v I pressume you mean the vine white. It's a super guitar as are all of the Jems. There are slight differences in pickups over the models and on some of the older Jems (such as my 777DY) the neck joint is square and it's also a slightly "chunkier" neck.
Get down to your local guitar shop and try some out before you buy. But once your ready to take the plunge then contact Rich Harris at Ibanez Rules (banner at top of page) and he'll be able to sort you out with a beauty.

Ben
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 08:44 AM

Just to follow on from Eggy, definately give Rich a look when you've decided on a model to get.

Where abouts in the world are you? Prices fluctuate a lot depending on your location (I'd put your location in your profile too just incase you post in the classified section here with a wanted: jem ad).

The Jem7vWH (WH=White) is the flagship model which Vai uses a lot. It's got DiMarzio evolution pickups, an alder body and the new AANJ (All access neck joint), ebony fingerboard. There's also a (discontinued) Jem7vBSL which also has an alder body and the same pickups, but has a blue sparkle finish, a rosewood fingerboard and a blue vine inlay.

There's also the Jem7dBK (black textured 'flake' paint job) with DiMarzio Breed pickups and a Basswood body, this also has the AANJ as all new Jems do.

There's also the Jem7BRMR(? Can't remember model number) which is essentially the same as the Jem7dBK only has a mirror finish, it's also a lot more expensive than the 7dBK, if you search this forum you'll be able to read many many opinions as to whether you think the difference between the BRMR and the DBK is worth the price.

You can pickup a Jem7vWH for a decent price second hand as there's a few around, i'm actually selling my 2001 Jem7vWH at the moment (haven't posted in classified yet) it's in very good condition and i'm advertising it at £1000 (quick plug - hope no one minds lol).

The older models include the Jem7FP (FP=Flower print, if you see this one then the name is pretty self explanitory! lol) this has DiMarzio PAF pickups and a basswood body (i think..), they recently reissued this model (15th anniversary model) but they're no longer being produced new and are quite expensive. There's also the DY (desert yellow) SK (Shocking pink) and LNG (loch-ness green, very rare). These last models don't pop up so often and have the older style heel joint (the regular non-anniversary and anniversary FP also have the older style heel joint, i'm pretty sure this is correct..)

Last edited by Andelusion; 06-22-2006 at 11:49 AM.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:16 AM

stay away from chinese copies. ask us first + don't get a jemm 555
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelusion
The older models include the Jem7vFP (FP=Flower print! i'm pretty sure this is correct..)
Jem77fp, not jem7vfp.
don't forget about the 77bfp as well. blue flowers.
you could always look for a jem90ham or jem 10th.
but realistically, another good choice would be the jembsb.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser
Jem77fp, not jem7vfp.
don't forget about the 77bfp as well. blue flowers.
you could always look for a jem90ham or jem 10th.
but realistically, another good choice would be the jembsb.
Doh dunno why I typed that
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 12:02 PM

555s aren't bad if it's all you can afford and it's a good second hand price (don't buy one new) Just make sure it doesn't have the TRS trem.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

am based in the UK, Cheshire (will update my profile on here) One thing i was interested in was the floating bridge, the new low profile trem on the jem7v, is it comparible to the older style ibanez bridges or even a floyd?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 12:50 PM

The new trem on the Jem7v is the Edge-Pro.

In my opinion it's not as good as the older Lo-pro trem which featured on jems before 2003.

It's not 'better' than a floyd, just different, i think it's more ergonomic to use.

And if you're in Cheshire that means the UK, just checking if you read I'm actually selling my Jem7vwh?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

yeah? what year is it? any pics?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 03:13 PM

I sent you a private message allan, by the way on this forum if you type e-b-a-y (without the spaces obivously) it stars the word out i.e ****, i'm just letting you know as I forgot to change 'e-b-a-y' in the private message so you've got the stars unfortunately lol.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 05:19 AM

Jem is the best nuff said
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 05:44 AM

Post Re: I'm a JEM noob

IMHO the main reasons for buying a high end Ibanez are:
  • the neck (thin, wide, flat, strong, smooth)
    the pups (Dimarzio)
    the trem

The Jem is the original, but a esthetically bit much for some, who prefer a more subdued look. For those players a high end RG is a good alternative.

Trems:
  • the first years of Jem have the Edge ('whale tail Floyd')
    the middle ~10 years have the LoPro (set the standard in the business, better than a real Floyd, I've seen idiots replace LoPro 's with other FR copies, claiming they were better, but IMHO this is due to poor knowledge and bad set-up)
    the last few years have the Edge Pro ( ++ even lower profile, ++ intonation chips, -- no locking studs)

Pups in order of appearance:
  • PAF Pro (LNG DY, FP, etc.)
    Evolutions (90HAM, 10th, 7VWH, BSB,..)
    the Breed (DNA, DBK, BRMR)
check www.dimarzio.com for detailed info (for which suits your needs most)

As for the necks they have become slightly thinner over the years, thinnest are the HAM, DNA & DBK (apart from the VDY and rare other Wizards) but IIRC the latest versions (7VBL, BRMR) are slightly bigger again, but not as big as the original LNG/DY. This is something you need to assess yourself. Biggest change as mentioned is the transition from full-cut heel to all access neck joint and the scalloping.

Quote:
the 555 is a korean RG with EVO's and a monkey grip
My advice, if you don't want to spend much, get a NOS DBK or VBL, if you can find one, or save up for a new BRMR. Otherwise get a 2nd hand BSB or even DBK.
If you have the cash, get a 90HAM (~1500EUR) or 10TH (~2000EUR)
Be very careful with auctioned 7VWH's. Too many bad copies floating around a n00b could be fooled.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:36 AM

Where in Cheshire are you Allan?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarslinger213
stay away from chinese copies.
+1

Regards

André

Tags
access neck joint , alder body , basswood bodies , basswood body , dimarzio breed , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolution pickups , dimarzio paf , ebony fingerboard , evolution pickups , guitar shop , local guitar shop , locking stud , locking studs , monkey grip , neck joint , paf pro , playing guitar , rosewood fingerboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode