Im trying to decide between a Jem 7V and a JS-2000 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Im trying to decide between a Jem 7V and a JS-2000

Hello folks, I'm new here.

I own a Parker NiteFly.. It has a floating tremolo that can be fixed by a screw. It has 22 and something frets, and have perfect action.

If i buy a JEM7V i have 24 frets and super low action lower than my Fly i'm sure.

If i buy a JS-2000 i have a Fixed bridge, verry good sustain, somewhat higher action than the Jem but around what i'm used to with My Fly.

I am sure the Jem is a fine instrument. But is way way way overpriced. And the gold hardware will wear down as i'm sweating to much.

The JS-2000 is more to what i'm used to but different in that it has a fixed bridge is weighs less has a humbucker in the neck and bridge (NiteFly only bridge). On the JS the humbucker can be switched to singlecoil (coil tab switch). Looks fantastic. Now i only have to find one to test.

That's my opinion. I just don't want two instruments that are to different from eachother but different enough. Tonal wise and weight wise. I think experimenting with different tunings will be easier on the JS than on the Fly cause of the trem.

Also what i'm scared of with my Fly is its technology. Being in Europe here if there's something wrong with the frets its not standard they are glued and bonded and are Hardened Steel frets so a tech guy can't do a thing about it.

The Ibanez's are
more conventional and can be handled buy tech guys.
And did i mention its a lot cheaper...

(Man i'm losing sleep about this)

P.S. PLEEEAASE ADVISE ME I'm TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN JEM / JS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 09:59 AM

can you get your hands on a Jem? If you can, try that and decide how much you like it. If you like it, just buy that. If you don't, buy a JS2000 (which I'm assuming is not available at your local music store).

how 'bout buying both?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 11:32 AM
EKG

Sounds like you are already leaning towards the JS. Great guitars. I would choose the JEM, myself. Try and play them both and see what you prefer ;-)
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 11:37 AM

well i would go with the js find the neck far more comfortable.

but thats just me
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 11:48 AM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by disassociative1
well i would go with the js find the neck far more comfortable.

but thats just me
We all know you are the JS junkie
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 05:10 PM

Jem lower action than a JS ?

I'd say the JS-2000 is every bit as capable as having a low action as the JEM series, if not lower since it's a fixed bridge.

Joe Satriani plays with the lowest possible action, and Steve Vai is a bit higher, both their signature guitars can be set up for equally low action.

If I were you I would investigate how easy it is to alter tunings on the JS-2000 since the bridge is kind of a floating fixed bridge with a locking nut. If you dramatically alter the tuning of the guitar the bridge may not be locked down from my understanding of it.

I find the JEM's ugly with their sharp edge bodies, but I do like the all access neck joint and their 24 frets. The JS series is a more natural feeling guitar line.

Tony.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 05:35 PM

hey i know i love my js's but i did have a parker fly (which went for a 10th ah well*shugs* i just love em)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 11:34 AM

Re: Jem lower action than a JS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6828
I'd say the JS-2000 is every bit as capable as having a low action as the JEM series, if not lower since it's a fixed bridge.

Joe Satriani plays with the lowest possible action, and Steve Vai is a bit higher, both their signature guitars can be set up for equally low action.

If I were you I would investigate how easy it is to alter tunings on the JS-2000 since the bridge is kind of a floating fixed bridge with a locking nut. If you dramatically alter the tuning of the guitar the bridge may not be locked down from my understanding of it.

I find the JEM's ugly with their sharp edge bodies, but I do like the all access neck joint and their 24 frets. The JS series is a more natural feeling guitar line.

Tony.
Not true. The JS2000's bridge does not float at all. It is an Edge mounted on 2 posts.

I agree though, there's no reason not to have as low of action as a Jem.

However, the next 6er I want is a Jem7DBK. I like the variety between my JS2000, and my RG and SC.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Not true. The JS2000's bridge does not float at all. It is an Edge mounted on 2 posts.
Ah, I thought the JS-2000's bridge had a tilt movement that could be locked into position ?

I was thinking that if you went from one extreme tuning to another the lock down system might loosen off enough to wobble the bridge. Either way it wouldn't matter the neck would shift enough to need adjustment on very low actions anyway. That is something I've experienced with my Ibanez Radius, which needs attention when the weather changes, let alone dramatic tuning shifts. I guess that's a small price to pay to have action of 1mm at the 22nd fret on the high E and 1.5 on the low E.

Tony
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6828
Quote:
Ah, I thought the JS-2000's bridge had a tilt movement that could be locked into position ?

I was thinking that if you went from one extreme tuning to another the lock down system might loosen off enough to wobble the bridge. Either way it wouldn't matter the neck would shift enough to need adjustment on very low actions anyway. That is something I've experienced with my Ibanez Radius, which needs attention when the weather changes, let alone dramatic tuning shifts. I guess that's a small price to pay to have action of 1mm at the 22nd fret on the high E and 1.5 on the low E.

Tony
You need to make setup adjustments when making tuning changes regardless if it's a fixed bridge or a floater. If you change tuning massively, and put on heavy strings without adjusting the neck, I would tend to think that would f*$k it up.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 07:07 AM

I bought/borrowed a JS-1000 at Guitar Center. Had it for a month. Really good guitar, but it wasn't my voice. Got a JEM7VWH, pricey but so worth it.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 06:42 PM

Go with a JS its the shiznittobam!!!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

thx for the advise on the js2000

i'll descide next week end let you guys know...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:08 PM

Monkey grip, monkey grip, you need a monkey grip
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemB
Monkey grip, monkey grip, you need a monkey grip
a JS with a monkey grip? that would be wacked

Tags
access neck joint , fixed bridge , floating tremolo , joe satriani , local music store , locking nut , monkey grip , music store , neck joint , parker fly , signature guitar , steel frets , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode