important decision to be made: Jem vs. Universe - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

important decision to be made: Jem vs. Universe

I am at a toss up mode right now. I've been playing six strings for years and I'm in love with the UV777...so I'm ready to buy a new Ibanez ( I have a 1989 model S540LTD that I'll prolly retire). After playing the UV777 for about a half hour yesterday, I realized how different it will be. Don't get me wrong, it did feel really nice in my hands and I'm sure after playing it a few days, I'd get more uses to it. The sound was great and the fat tone of the bridge pickup really had me grinning. But it's that 7th string. I thought the the addl string would be a minor difference but it almost seems to be a major one. My alt would be the JEM7D. Sum it up this way...I want a Vai model...no question about it.

Now, in experimenting with tuning down on my electrics that I have now, I've found that I'd do better with one of two options a) to have standard tailpiece and not have to worry about the oddities that occur with alt tunings or b) getting a 7 string. I've also tried heavier strings...but then I read that a longer neck (like that of the XL necks) allow for more tension and help maintain the tuning...or so I read, anyway. So that leads me to the Vai models...neck is longer...yadda yadda yadda.

So, #1: I was wondering if there are any folks out there that go back and fortht between a 6 and 7 string and how you make adjustments to playing with an extra string?

#2 How does the JEM7D rate...who's got one and do you love it....vs. that of the UV777 (I'm tempted to say it's apples and oranges)

I'm trying to make a decision soon...and I don't want to play with this decision because it's a chunk of change to plop down...don't want to be unable to play something I forked out that kind of money for and at the same time I don't want to regret making the wrong choice.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 05:26 PM

Going back and forth between 6's and 7's is easy after a while.

the Universe is a higher end guitar than the DBK, but both play just as nice. If you are considering getting either new, you could get both used for a little more.....a want ad here would be a good starting point!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 05:27 PM

Going back and forth between 6's and 7's is easy after a while.

the Universe is a higher end guitar than the DBK, but both play just as nice. If you are considering getting either new, you could get both used for a little more.....a want ad here would be a good starting point!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 06:34 PM

I've been playing a seven for about three weeks and I already feel comfortable with it, and with switching back to six. I've noticed that when I do go back to six, I use the low E string a lot more when soloing. The seven has opened up the fretboard for me that little bit more.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 06:57 PM

i have a DBK and i love it. When i was looking for a new guitar i had the same dilemma as you, Universe or JEM? In the end i decided that i would have to sell my current guitar to afford the jem, and i couldn't really have a 7 as my main guitar, so i went with the JEM, and i love it.

The next guitar i'm after is a Universe, or perhaps an FP.

(damn, GAS)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

I knew the UV was higher end but I wanted to see how they rated on the playability scale. I feel a little more confident regarding getting a UV777 right now, though so I may end up going with it. I was actually looking at getting a RG1077XL but I can't find them at a location where I'd actually BUY one.

Either way, weather I go with a JEM or Uni, I'm going to be part of an exclusive group of guitar owners/players. Can't go wrong either way, it seems to me.

One thing that has me still is the TONE on that low B string when I set it to the neck position was unreal. And with a clean setting on the amp...wow!! I mean, surf guitar hasn't sounded so good on any of my other guitars.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 07:30 PM

How is the UV higher end? They are made in the same factory, with the same quality control, with the same pretige construction, with the same trem.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Price? I don't know.

I was figuring that if I ended up getting a JEM, it would probably be the DB because the price was more in my budget....I can't justify paying $1700+ for the 7Vs....nor can I justify it to my wife Though, in my recent study of the JEMs I have come to like that phillips head screw inlay of the DBs.

Wonder how soon the UV777s will be out with the new EdgePro system and if I can get it by mailoder through Musicians Friend..
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 07:46 PM

the screw head inlays look really cool 'in the flesh'. photos really don't do them justice. i like the 3D-ness of them.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 09:46 PM

The way I see it, a UV can do everything a Jem can do but the opposite isn't true I know that's overly simplistic, but I'd go the UV.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm sure!!!

I had been looking at the UV777 for several months now and I remember looking at a used one at Guitar Center last month...actually got my hands on it....totally different experience than looking at pics of one. Of course it was rather dinged around the bound edge of the body...shameful, really. Of course the salesman was ready to wrap that puppy up for me...I wasn't ready for pushey sales-dork.

The more I think about it, the more I want it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 01:34 AM

I think that it's time for you to face a reality.

If you hang around here long enough, you'll own them both within a matter of months. Now you just have to decide which to buy first and which to buy second.

I had an RG550 which i replaced with my UV and then my BFP came 2 months later (sold the 550 soon after). I switch back and forth between the jem and the UV regularly - I still find it easier and more preferable to play the Jem, but I don't have any problem going from one to the other and back again. It's a non-issue.

The other Dimarzio 7 string pickups sound infinitely better than the Blaze 2's in the stock UVs. Take that into account when you buy. The blazes sound good for a few months when you first get the guitar, but they get old quick.

The UV is absolutely a higher quality guitar than the DBK. Play both and you'll feel the difference....heh..you can just pick them up and feel the difference.
~K
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:13 AM

I would say that you will very likely grow into the Universe. And it does serve to open up the use of all 6 strings on a regular guitar when you play them. I too use the low E more since getting a 7. But if it's really THAT big of an adjustment to you right now to play a 7string width, you may have even more problems if you went longer in scale. Not saying you can't do it. Just saying that you may find not only a fat neck, but a slightly farther fret distance more disorienting than just having an extra string.

Ultimately, these guys are right. You'll probably end up with both guitars (and more) eventually...that's just the nature of it...lol
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:44 AM

Man I had the same dilemna.......I cheesed out and went for the DBK because of the price difference. I love my DBK but will probably get the UV anyway too.....LOL
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I don't know that I allowed myself that much time on the UV, to be honest..I mean, you can only play around on a high doller guitar for so long before you start feeling a tad bit of pressure from the salesman. I probably played around on it for about 10 to 15 minutes. I started to get used to it so I'm inclined to think that, much like many have said in this thread, it wouldn't be long.

At one point, not long ago, I almost comprimised and went with what I would consider a lesser model of 7 string...even then, I felt like I would have been buying short.

I'll keep in mind what was said about the Blaze pickups....but I must say that the neck pickup sounded similar to the PAF I have in my Saber and I DO love that tone.

Thanks so much for the input guys. When I get it, you'll be hearing from me.

Tags
blaze pickups , bridge pickup , fat tone , neck pickup , neck position , string pickup , string pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode