Inlays - paper according to ed roman - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Inlays - paper according to ed roman

I've read on ed roman's site that the inlays in JEMs are nothing more than paper under plastic rather than a real inlay. Is this true?

If so, why would Ibanez only use paper rather than a real inlay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 09:51 PM
Vendor

Inlays

This has to get asked at least every 6 months. Paper, or paint under clear plastic. You want "real" inlays? What is *real*? And how are you going to get it in neon pink, green, yellow, blue, and purple?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Inlays

A real inlay, as in some sort of solid matter rather than paper. Like a strat inlay... the little circles which are about 3mm thick. Just thought i'd ask.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 10:00 PM
Vendor

Inlays

The clear plastic is a pretty solid material The paper (or paint) is just the color.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Inlays

Okee. It seems that when I (or anyone else for that matter) plays on vines, they seem to stay in place and not negatively effect anything so it's fine by me.
Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2001, 07:12 PM

Inlays

Not ALL JEM and Universe inlays are plastic. *

See Also: *JEM10, UV777PBK, JEM90, JEM7PBK, UV7VWH, and almost all the J-Custom line.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2001, 09:27 PM

Inlays

I like the Inlays that are plastic and color by using paper. What a great idea to keep the cost down, yet look Awesome! and not be boring like most Guitars out there. Great for People like myself that like explore creativity away from the typical realm.

The Neon Vines and Pyramids look excellent on stage in a black light, Great effect!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 01:31 AM

Inlays

This paper or plastic thing has been going on for ages, and as Rich has aptly put it, gets asked every 6 months...

But to me whether be it plastic or paper, or even some kaka for that matter, it still plays like Buttah! And looks beautiful to me.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 11:36 AM

Inlays

I agree....they look great, work great - paper, plastic, paint, whatever - I like them....besides how else would you have done it...i.e., fluorescent yellow, pink, green, in-lays?!?!? *What were you wanting....plutonium in-lays?!?!? *
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Inlays

So the J-Customs like the JEM10th have ... solid inlays?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 02:04 PM

Inlays

Yes. *I dont know about the J-Custom guitars, but the Jem 10th has pearl abalone vine inlays. *No plastic there.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 05:56 PM

Inlays

ok, lets see, I don't understand how you figure that the plastic and paper inlays are not solid, or even how you can't call them inlays.

an inlay, is just that, it is a material, inlayed into another material. *Regardless of substrate, or size or thickness, if it is inlayed, it is inlayed. *If it is only a piece of paper, .003" thick, if you route a fretboard .003" thick, and glue that paper in, it is an inlay, if you glue it on top then you are just glueing it on top. *So, then, the inlays on the jems, are viable inlays, never mind the fact that they are placed under a piece of plastic that is approximately .0625" thick. *so, I would say that it is a real inlay. *
Also, as for the jem 10's, or whatever, yeah, they are real inlays, but not because of the material, only because like the "paper" ones, they are inlayed. *Wanna know a secret, the majority of the JEM7VWH and UV777BK inlay is plastic, there is very little shell in those inlays. *But they are still inlays. *The majority of guitars have plastic inlays, there are many plastics out there now that you have a really hard time distinguishing between plastic and shell. *Plastic is easier to work with, looks just as convincing, and unlike abalone, is not toxic to cut with a jewellers saw.

Anyway, inlays are inlays, that's all she wrote

Jeremy
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Inlays

I have a 7VWH... so the pearloid is plastic and the abalone is... abalone huh?

What type of matter is abalone?
Stone? Shell?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 07:50 PM

Inlays

Main Entry: ab·a·lo·ne *
Pronunciation: "a-b&-'lO-nE, 'a-b&-"
Function: noun
Etymology: American Spanish abulón, from Rumsen (American Indian language of Monterey Bay, Calif.) aulon
Date: 1850
: any of a genus (Haliotis) of edible rock-clinging gastropod mollusks that have a flattened shell slightly spiral in form, lined with mother-of-pearl, and with a row of apertures along its outer edge
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 01:06 AM

Inlays

Since were on the Subject, I remember in the 80's i would get so much rude remarks from people about the plastic/paper inlays on my Jems.
Yet allllll the Hidious comments came from Fender Reps, Tom Anderson Players and factory reps, Gibson guys, etc, etc,,,,yet I would Hit em with, but look how cool they look, the Pyramids are even 3D in a Black light, The Vine is classy and Beautiful! Look at what a great price a Jem can be bought for with so many awesome features all in one Guitar, Listen to how they sound and feel how it plays. Great Inspiration from the Guitar itself, and we all know as Musicians, all the Inspiration we can get is a good thing.

They were just mad cuz I was right and Ibanez was kickin the socks off the market then with so many Cutting "Edge" and Exciting Idea's and Making better Guitars than all of them at a lot less Money for the True Players. *

Tags
abalone vine , custom guitar , custom guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode