Irregularities finish UV77 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Irregularities finish UV77

Dear all,
I recently purchased a UV77SVR. These guitars are hard to find in Europe, due of the CITES regulations, so I purchased it unseen in a webshop.
Itís a stunning looking guitar, with a great feel and sound. However, Iím not that enthusiastic about the finish of this guitar.
Okay, itís a swirl, but thereís a spot, close to the strapknob, which I think is not appropriate for a guitar in this price range.
Is this where the last drop in the swirl process is cut of, polished and lacquered? Cause it feels smooth, itís in the paint.
Thereís also a small spot, thatís not so nice, on the headstock. In my opinion a bit sloppy for such a high end guitar.
Do your UVís have such irregularities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Vendor

Re: Irregularities finish UV77

Nobody can comment without pictures.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Hi Rich, somehow I can't upload pictures. I drag 'm to the drag and drop area, but they won't upload...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM

Reviews: 6

upload the pics to imgur.com and share the link here...d.m.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

https://imgur.com/2VU0MXx
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

https://imgur.com/8l42IKj
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

https://imgur.com/3VJiR1t
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

https://imgur.com/a/BI4lV

Last edited by Seventh2nd; 02-15-2018 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Wrong url
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

The one on the headstock is very common on swirls. The one by the strap pin, I don’t know.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 03:05 PM

Hi,

I did some extensive experiments with swirling on different materials. Here is my noob take on your issue.

In my experience, those "faults" happen often enough. The oil in the paint (or some not mixed up thinner) gathers up and doesn't mix, an excess of paint drips at the moment of removing, this happens easily really when you remove the object from the "bath". The one at the bottom looks like a "flake" of silver paint that just slid there, the thickness of the silver paint is different and the mixing ends like this.
Imho it's nothing really to be concerned about, as it's part of the process of swirling. Yes, it could have been avoided, but believe, if you ever start swirling yourself, you might find those small issues pretty tame.
If you don't like the swirld, that's a different issue.
For reference, i own a UV77SVR myself, and while I'm not home to check it out, nothing like this was on mine.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 03:20 PM

Love the swirl on yours!

I'm with you the one by the strap button is kind of a bummer though. I feel like these UVs were a little rushed, mine had some electrical problems that HUSA mended for me about a year ago. Now my input jack is loose, not a big deal but its yet to happen on my other UV or JEM which are both 7-8 years old.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for your reply's
I know it's complicated to make a good swirl, and I really do like the swirl on it, but I just didn't expect these little imperfections on a USD 7000,- guitar. In my opinion Ibanez could, and should have done, a better job. This very limited runs should by perfect in my opinion. I'm just a bit disappointed I guess.
I'm also the lucky owner of a DNA. Compared to these babe's, Ibanez has became a little lazy producing the UV77's. The flight cases, the swirls, even the COA. It's has all had a bit more attention with the DNA's, 18 years ago.
Nevertheless, I'm gonna play my UV now, cause that's what they're for...

Cheerz.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:19 PM

I wouldn't even consider the spot by the headstock an imperfection, I like it. As far as the spot by the strap button, there coulnd't be a better spot for it and overall the swirl is stunning anyway.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:59 PM

That is a gorgeous swirl; I find that most of the swirls on the passion and warfare models are “MKR-like” and the Silvers are had the best swirls out of them, more “ATDish”. The little imperfections are due to the the “random” process of the paint distribution. The spot on the headstock is worse than the one by the strap button, but they are minor flaws in a pretty nice package (impressive swirl for that UV run + Sugi built).
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 04:46 PM

If you zoom in really close on the weird looking part, you will see Pollock used too much of the wrong color. No one is perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode