Isn't it illegal... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Isn't it illegal...

Isn't it illegal to knowingly sell counterfeit merchandise? I'm a little surprised to see Chris over at Chris' Guitars knowingly selling one (it's right on the front page):

http://www.chrisguitars.com/

Granted, it is one of the more impressive looking fakes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:37 PM

Re: Isn't it illegal...

He says its a fake so I don't have a problem with it.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:42 PM

While I don't have a problem with him selling the guitar as a known fake, what is to stop some unscrupulous person (who obviously wouldn't be a Jemsite member!) from then onselling it as the real thing? Unless of course the guitar has been permanently marked in some way as to confirm it is NOT an Ibanez? (Like the word "FAKE" carved into the back in six inch high letters?)
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:42 PM

Are these somewhat playable? I think I want to use the body on another guitar.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep
You realize the body could be made of plywood, right?
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannifive
You realize the body could be made of plywood, right?
You realise the entire guitar could be total crap, right?
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 PM

Actually, let me put another slant on that, C.Thep - there have been a great many people here on the forum who have gotten very angry and upset about the proliferation of these cheap knockoffs, and how they both cheapen a great guitar, but also can be a real rip off for the unwary - even if you cannibalise one for the useable bits, in a way you are buying into this whole fake JEM thing, which (IMHO) is not good
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:17 AM

I think his description says it best....

Quote:
"Don't let the looks fool you, this thing is all knockoff, from the monkey grip body, to the vine inlay, to the Jem Prestige neck, to the gold hardware, to the Ibanez trem with finger routes, this thing is 100% fake, fake, fake. From the sneaky craftsmen in China, masters of detail, they even used a fake "Team J Craft" logo and Japan serial number on the back of the headstock. Overall it looks very convincing but up close the dead giveaway is the trem which is stamped "Ibanez Low TRSO" and it's not a very good trem. As a player, it's not bad, typical China quality but with a few higher end parts, you might have something. "
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 AM

well of course he gonna say that, he wants to sell the guitar.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:56 AM

Of course he does, but he's being straight forward.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:29 AM

Uh, it's illegal to sell a fake or to own one. That's the law. Will Ibanez chase either party down? Doubtful. But it doesn't make it ok either way. I believe the headstock is copyrighted as as I know the Ibanez name is, so you can't legally do either.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:38 AM

One of the more decent looking fakes.

Regards

André

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:48 AM
Air Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep
After reading some feedback off the bay, these guitars really aren't playable at all!

There's even floral design JEM's on there now, along with some PGM's. Another bad thing though, has to be their english skills. . .

"We are honored very much for you recommend this item, had it, your life on many several minute appeal It can take to you in the spirit to be joyful Art always can bring the happy mood to the person Your family member also can very happy receive this you to take to their accident to be pleasantly surprised Because it not merely is an art ware, but also is representing you to the life the deep love; Opposite party person's deep love; To historical culture deep love Manifests your life personal status."
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:05 AM

I've heard that those things don't even have truss rods.

The worst thing about this is now conterfeits are no longer limited to the e-bay market, but now they're apparently available wholesale for dealers.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:19 AM

I love it how the fakes have "decent" looking vines and all, and Ibanez attempt at fighting them off have boring dots...

If youre a young kid with no money, trying to score a jem cause it brings you closer to your idol, and have no knowledge about axes at all, and you see this next to a 333 on a store window... well ill just say theres not much "fightin the fake" there...

Tags
access neck joint , basswood body , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , ibanez jem , ibanez trem , les paul , les pauls , low trs , monkey grip , neck joint , tremolo cavity , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode