Isn't the Scalloping Backwards On My 7VWH? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Isn't the Scalloping Backwards On My 7VWH?

I thought the idea of scalloping was to eliminate the possibility of touching the fretboard.
Shouldn't the lower frets be scalloped, not the higher ones?
The scalloping on my 7VWH always seemed wrong to me...the last few frets?
The farther apart the frets are, the easier it is to press the string down far enough to hit the fretboard.
I'd like to see someone press down hard enough on the...let's say 22nd fret...and touch the fretboard.
First fret? A child of three could do it.
So at the risk of revealing my ignorance to the entire world, for life, 'splain it to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 PM

Re: Isn't the Scalloping Backwards On My 7VWH?

The purpose of scalloping isn't to keep the string off the fretboard. It's to allow the extra stability and grip you can get on the string. Due to the space under the string, you can get more flesh around it and control your bends and such better without the string 'slipping' so easily from under your finger. But pushing the string down to the fingerboard has nothing to do with it really. Hence the reason the UPPER frets are scalloped for Vai. He can get a better grip on those notes up there than he normally would with a non-scalloped guitar because the frets are closer together and don't allow as much finger flesh in between.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:24 PM

The scallops were put on when the neck joints were square, it was harder to reach the higher frets so the scallops made it easier and also since there was an overhang of the fretboard on the square neck joints it sort of cut some wood to wood energy transfer for sustain so the scallops made the notes ring just as the notes would ring on a non-scalloped aanj neck joint. There is no need for scalloping on the new Jems really but I think it looks cool haha
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

Also, scalloping helps the intonation to be more accurate when the frets are close together in the high registers by allowing ther fingers more room to adjust the fretted note.

Scalloping fretboards is a practice that dates back before guitars existed.

~j
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Also, scalloping helps the intonation to be more accurate when the frets are close together in the high registers by allowing ther fingers more room to adjust the fretted note.

Scalloping fretboards is a practice that dates back before guitars existed.

~j
Another reason, other than looking cool, why I want it on my 2570 haha
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
The scallops were put on when the neck joints were square, it was harder to reach the higher frets so the scallops made it easier and also since there was an overhang of the fretboard on the square neck joints it sort of cut some wood to wood energy transfer for sustain so the scallops made the notes ring just as the notes would ring on a non-scalloped aanj neck joint. There is no need for scalloping on the new Jems really but I think it looks cool haha
In '81 I bought a brand new BC Rich Bich, my first 24 fret neck guitar, Being neck through construction with a generous cutaway, it had plenty of access to those frets. I enjoyed the ability to go up there and really use those notes...so when I started seeing scallops on other guitars it kinda threw me, because I had no problem accessing those note on my Bich, or getting a good grip on the string, etc...

Thanks again for 'splainin' it...(although I still think it should be the other way around...)

Last edited by Arnie Guitar; 06-16-2009 at 11:02 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 AM

It just allows the finger tips to effectively wrap aroung the string and hold fast over the relevant fret. I remember reading an interview with Malmsteen where he said it definitely doesn't make the guitar easier to play but it gives him more "control." And he does his own scalloping as far as I'm aware. Wish he'd stop mutilating those 60's Strats though!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode