Japanese/US swirl? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Japanese/US swirl?

Hi, greetings from England.

I've recently brought a UV77mc (with a fantastic swirl, in mint condition for a fantastic price.....sorry still excited!! )

The predominant colours in my swirl are yellow, bright green, red. Is it the colour scheme that defines where the guitar was finished?

Just to pass comment, it takes a bit of getting used to - having the extra string. I feel like I'm having to reprogramme my hands (Especially for thrash antcis!)

Cheers

Codnchips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Pics of my universe

I've just found that webshots place, so I've put some pics on if it helps determine anything...

http://community.webshots.com/album/109842241UpVDbX
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 08:31 AM

That looks like a Japanese one, which they nickname MKR which stands for "mustard-ketchup-relish" *LOL* The finish on the Japanese ones tends to be more 'streaky' than the more swirly (and more neon-looking) American ones.
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 10:49 AM

That's a Japanese swirl. The Japanese swirls often tend to be less tight (for lack of a better term) and the colors more muted than the ATD swirls. Check out the gallery page on Rich Harris' Ibanezrules.com site for some examples of each: http://www.ibanezrules.com/gallery.htm
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 10:51 AM

I believe Petie is right about it being a MKR. It just isn't as "loud" as the ATD swirls. Still it's a nice looking guitar!!

Mike
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 02:19 PM

hey, where abouts in kent are you? how much did the uni cost as well, and where did you get the MC from?
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:30 PM

Congratulations, that's a beautiful guitar! It's very hippy 60's looking, I think. An Austin Powers swirl

jim
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:53 PM

If you want to be sure, just check the neck pocket. ATD has a stamp in the pocket of all the guitars he swirls.

Either way it's gorgeous.

JC
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

What a fantastic response! Thanks chaps! I like the Mustard-Ketchup-Relish tag

I checked out the [email protected] rules - There are some fantastic examples there. There's a definate difference between the ATD & Japanese swirls. The ATDs seem to have a more aggresive pattern, whereas the Japanese (as Petie mentioned), have a more streaky effect. There all mad and I love 'em!

The MC universe that I own is the first that I'd ever physically seen with my own eyes! I don't know how many were originally shipped to the UK......they're rare as rocking horse poo in these parts me heartys!
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 05:37 PM

congrats on the guitar!!
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

So does anyone who picked up on this thread have an MC universe? Do you have an ATD or Japanese? Was it easy to come by in your corner of the earth? Had you seen many before you got it?
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:54 AM

I have two ATD UVMCs. Bought both from our friend, Mr. Harris. You can see them here and here.

Before I bought the first one, I had seen exactly one in person, at Guitar Center in LA. It was a used Japanese swirl, beaten to hell. I've seen one other in a store since, at 30th Street Guitars in Manhattan, also a Japanese swirl.

I have no idea how the myth got started, but there are many people around here who believe that there are only 60 or so Japanese swirls out there. From what I've seen on eBay, elsewhere on the web, the two in stores, and just trolling around here over the years, I have a pretty strong feeling there are far more Japanese swirls than ATDs. This has been debated to death on this forum before, so I won't say anything more about it here. You can do a quick search to find out more.

Japanese swirls seem far easier to come by than ATDs. UVMCs in general are fairly easy to come by, but the market seems to go through cycles. Sometimes you see a bunch at once (I remember once there were three or four on eBay at once) and sometimes there won't be any for a month or two.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stone

Japanese swirls seem far easier to come by than ATDs. UVMCs in general are fairly easy to come by, but the market seems to go through cycles. Sometimes you see a bunch at once (I remember once there were three or four on eBay at once) and sometimes there won't be any for a month or two.

Maybe because people tend to hang onto the ATD's longer/forever ? I've seen some awesome MKR's,But Most ATD's are sweet ... Of course there is the odd dog thrown in the mix every once in awhile

Rob
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stone

I have no idea how the myth got started, but there are many people around here who believe that there are only 60 or so Japanese swirls out there. From what I've seen on eBay, elsewhere on the web, the two in stores, and just trolling around here over the years, I have a pretty strong feeling there are far more Japanese swirls than ATDs. This has been debated to death on this forum before, so I won't say anything more about it here. You can do a quick search to find out more.

Unfrortunately there's a blurb from Darren right here in Jemsite that says so, and if it's on Jemsite it must be true right? Kinda like the blurb on vai.com about the Floral Patterns being airbrushed and only the early ones are real fabric.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 10:02 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
LOL. I think darren has a bit of credability on this, even if his numbers are off 5x do the math. but the real reason you see more MKRs is each one has been sold 4-5 times since they're undesirable. Nevermind you don't know what shipped overseas and often you're just seeing USA sales. Many USA customers might have purchased closeouts late in the game (MKR leftovers from hosh una or chesbro) sold thru Sam Ash or AMS music (popular stores at the time)... glen

Tags
andy martin , atd swirl , atd swirls , beautiful guitar , les paul , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode