JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck - [ do they share the same?] - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2001, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
JFT

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck - [ do they share the same?]

Hi guys,

I started learning guitar 6 months ago. Since then I've been practicing like crazy to ramp up

Guess GAS got me badly... Already looking for my third axe:biggrin:

Got an accoustic Takamine and a semi-hollow Ibanez AS-120 now I'm looking into a pure electric to complete the picture.

I've done a bit of searching both on the net (very cool site BTW :thumbsup and with my ear. I've tried a quite a few axes but alas I couldn't find a JS-1000. The only JS I could put my hands on was a JS-100 and I'm wondering whether the neck is the same on both of them or near enough to judge whether I prefer it over a Jem... (The 7VWH is SOOOOO Beautiful *:love

Both the 7VWH and the JS-1000 sounds sweet to me (quite different sound though) and I intend to choose from the feel of the guitar and especially their neck.

(so far a Strats don't any magic for me )

Thanks for any insight/advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2001, 12:31 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

good luck w/ the guitar, hoping it brings a life of enjoyment.

I would suggest an affordable japanese-made RG/S body and avoiding the signature models at first. You'll get a better bang for the buck (especially used) and if you tastes change you can experiment in regard to pickups, setup, etc. without worry of value.

I also think a cheaper axe gives you something to look forward to, whereas starting with the VWH there is nowhere to go but down for the most part.

Just a thought as you have a clean slate to work with. Have fun... glen
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2001, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
JFT

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

Hi Glen,

Thanks for the quick response.

My Takamine (EF-508C) is awesome. Its sound is astounding and action is flawless (read no buzz there). Everything on it is first class and everyone that tried it so far (teacher included) wants one...

The AS-120 on the other hands, while having a nice round sound, buzz like hell :angry: (even when played by my guitar teacher....) I was told by my teacher that action should be set so high for it to stop buzzing (neck isn't straight and fret would need some major work) that I'm better off living with the buzz and keep it mid-low . I do regret buying it, should have paid more to get more quality, like I did on the Tak. I won't do the same error for the next one.

I did try the RG-520 but wasn't hooked, while the neck was ok, the sounds left me totally cold. I did try a Jem just afterward (DBK and VWH) as well as a JS-100. There's no going back. The sound of the JS-100 didn't impress me neither but I liked the neck a bit better.

You see my wife wants a baby this year and we are buying a house next year :shocked: I probably won't be able to afford another one before a few years

I want this next axe to be as perfect as my wallet will allow :silly:

Feel is obviously a very personnal thing and that's why I'm trying to get a parallel between the JS-100 and JS-1000 (feeling wise) rather than ask which one I should get... If they compare in feel (neck and action wise) than I have no doubt I'll be shortly getting that 7vwh, as the JS-100 didn't impress me.

Thanks again
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2001, 03:45 PM
Vendor

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

Then you'd better make a point of tracking down a 1000 to try out, doen't feel much like a 100, or a 7v.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
JFT

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

Thanks Rich!

You told me exactly what I was looking for!

I'll definitely try to put my hands on one then before taking a decision.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 12:23 AM
Vendor

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

Just make sure it's been setup! :biggrin:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
JFT

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

It's a shame I'm living too far (and bad $can to $us currency exchange) cause I'd definitively pay you a visit

From what I read on Jemsite you definitively the man for setup

Thanks anyway for the advice...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 09:46 AM

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

Hi JFT,

* I live in Montreal too....Just want to tell you that if you want to have a great setup on your guitar, go to Lutherie MF on Guizot street...

* The guy there is a master guitar maker, and is well known for his basses, and he will do a great setup..I just sent him my S2020XAV and it came back with incredible action....

* As for the choice of guitar..I bought my S2020 at
ItalMelodie and they had a VWH and a JS1000BP...They are both very different guitars..I was going to buy the 1000, but when I tried the S2020, I just tought it was the guitar for me..I really like the look of the guitar....

* Anyway, having already an S body, I think I would personally go for a VWH, but 1000 is great also...You really have to try both to know what you like because they are very diffferent....

* Just my 0.02$
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
JFT

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

Hi Armadillo,

Thanks for the lead I about the luthier.

Funny you mentionned ItalMelodie that's where I got my Tak and tried the 7vwh but they didn't have a JS-1000 last time I checked.

Got my AS-120 at Steve's and service is SOOO bad, that I don't think I'll ever buy anything from them again.

Never seen a S2020, is Ibanez still producing them?

S-body = Satriani ?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 09:25 AM

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

S=saber, they have very thin mahogany bodys.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 10:03 AM

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

JFT,

*Yeah, sorry about misleading you..S stands for Saber...What I meant is that since a saber body is very close in size and looks to a JS body, I would prefer having a vwh since it has a different look/feel....

*I know what you mean when you say Steves has bad service....I bought a Fender SRV and a Washburn N4 there about 10 years ago and they used to have much better guitars...Now they don't have a lot of high-end guitars..they seem to be selling only lower end guitars...

*Also the salesmen there have a bad attitude..It is like, if you are not a rock star, they ignore you..

*That's why I will now only buy my guitars from ItalMelodie..They have a much better choice of great guitars and the service is much better....

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 12:43 PM

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

JFT ~ there's a little used guitar store beside Steve's; Jack's Music, I think. It's the kind of place where you can find some cool guitars for a decent price IF you know what you're looking for and IF you're willing to barter (bicker? :-) with the guys there. I bought my UV777GR and Matchless Hot Box there, and I got a more than fair deal on both... Anyway, if you're looking for used Japanese RG's, they've usually got a fairly good selection... but if you go in there, watch your wallet
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
JFT

JS-100 and JS-1000 Neck

Thanks to all who answered. I finally did test one (not for long though) but I finally got a 7VWH :biggrin:

I still think I'll get a JS one day but in the short term the Jem will have to do

P.S. Am I the only one that couldn't see any topic in the JS forum???

Tags
mahogany body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode